Sign in to follow this  
NCFC for life 1993-

Would a different manager get more out of the players?

I ask for your opinions. So, in the summer of 2013 we sign all these players that are meant to be an upgrade on what we have, I for one was very excited about the season ahead. All the hype and excitement of the players brought in to improve the squad yet what has happened? In my opinion, there has not been any return on that money spent. None, or very minimal improvement,

My question is: is hughton''s tactics the reason for our struggles and if so, would a different manager get more out of the current squad? At this moment it is tough to watch Norwich especially the fact that we so look devoid of ideas.

I was actually considering this earlier, I believe so. Having watched the team, I think they are too worried about going forward, bit like in the Worthington days when as long as we didn''t lose, it was a success. I think a new (the right) manager would re-ignite the passion and desire to attack and score goals. To my mind, we have struggled before in not having the best players available to us, but I feel throughout the team we have the right players in the squad, the potential is huge, however they are just not being utilised correctly. I''ve never been particularly pro or anti Hughton, but feel a change is needed, just to freshen things up before it''s too late.

The right manager would, yes.

I actually think we should sack Hughton immediately before he sells Hoolahan and Fox.

We want a manager who plays positive attacking, with the focus on feeding Hooper or Van Wolfswinkel.

Hughton has a £8.5m striker who we can''t create chances for, with our two most creative midfielders being massively underused.

Time to get rid.

[quote user="Le Juge"]The right manager would, yes.

I actually think we should sack Hughton immediately before he sells Hoolahan and Fox.

We want a manager who plays positive attacking, with the focus on feeding Hooper or Van Wolfswinkel.

Hughton has a £8.5m striker who we can''t create chances for, with our two most creative midfielders being massively underused.

Time to get rid.[/quote]
This.

[quote user="Le Juge"]The right manager would, yes.

Time to get rid.[/quote]
^this

I think we have players that are better than our league position and current form. Either I''m wrong and the players are lower PL - upper Championship quality or the management team is not getting the best out of the players. My view is the latter and on that basis I do think alternative leadership would get more out of the players. I don''t think Hughton has "lost the dressing room" but equally he doesn''t appear to be instilling confidence.

It''s just frustrating because we do look like a team without life and creativity. We just look clueless in many games and you can''t get away with just turning up for half a match in premier league games. IMO, RVW can''t improve as a player under Hughton and his tactics.

I think someone like Sean Dyche would instill confidence into our team.

At the minute I think Doris the tea lady could get more out of our players - and have us playing better football in the process....

Hughton''s tactics (& decision making) are the reason for discontent. He appears to lack trust in the players, with an emphasis on stopping the opposition rather than creating.

The balance isn''t right and the confidence of players is affected. This for me is shown in the inability to support the player with ball. We typically only hold possession in non dangerous areas of the field, and usually maintain it by going backwards when pressed. The heavy defeats suffered also indicate fragile confidence.

The team play well for phases in games, but largely I am disappointed by current and past performances under Hughton. If tactics don''t change personnel have too. Either Hughton needs to find players that can fit his tactics, or the board need to find a manager that get more out of the players.

Considerable money has been spent on forward players who don''t get the ball because of the tactics adopted. Personally, I think spending the money on higher quality defensive personnel (that Hughton could trust) but playing with a more attacking philosophy is what should have been done.

A good choice of manager will get more out of the players, a bad choice would get less, but change will cost.

Thanks for a great post. I think you have it spot on. I''m just not sure when our next win will come from. It is all so predictable every week, performance wise naive tactics wise. I think the problem is Hughtons tactics are now so rooted in the players mindsets they look frustrated with it all. it will take a new manager a while to get them playing a different way but I feel a change this month might be the way to go,

We have the right players just the wrong guy managing them.

Yes. Under Hughton, Holt went backwards in both ability and attitude, Morison disappeared, Howson looked a pale shadow of his former self until very recently, Bassong has dropped off the radar this year and so on.Serious question but has any player improved under Hughton?

Yes!

We are very stunted attack wise!

Play the right players in the right positions, particularly wingers, midfielders, two upfront and tell them to get the ball into the ball earlier and increase the tempo and then we can do better!

No player has improved under Hughton which is worrying. It''s also worrying because I can''t see RVW, Fer or any of the new players doing the same. I think we are stuck in a rut now and things have just gone stale. Need a fresh start, new ideas.

For all you troubled fans, I will put the record straight.   Hooper is starting to look quality.  Howson has been nutured by Hughton and is beginning to show his worth.  E. Bennett was another who looked as if he was going to push on this season.   Redmond and Bassong came here because they know Hughton will bring them on well and get the best out of them.   R. Bennett has improved, most would say.    Russell Martin recently has looked very good.  RVW hasn''t settled yet - its not uncommon for a new striker to take time to start scoring.   Fer has been very good until recently, acclimatised well - but maybe needs a break (had and enforced break today).   Olsson looks a class act.  Johnson has been good in Tettey''s absence and Tettey himself looked class until he was injured.  Hoolahan played as well as I have ever seen him play against MU.  

I think that''s most of the team...........  

Like i''ve said before, we are going backwards under hughton. That''s not just an opinion, it''s a fact. As someone just pointed out, none of our players have improved in the 18 months he and his coaching staff have been here. That says it all.

I havn''t read the whole thread but I think Josh Murphy''s interview on radio Norfolk about Hughtons management is telling. When asked if Hughton just says to him to go out and do his thing he replied "no I have to have defensive responsibilities it''s all about the team and I have to track back and defend as well." Now that is fair enough and keeps a solid shape but when the presenter on Norfolk asked Eadie if Mike Walker said the same to him he replied " no he just told me to go out and do my thing." the players are just a little bit too leashed with Hughton and that needs to be loosened slightly.

[quote user="Muffles"]I was actually considering this earlier, I believe so. Having watched the team, I think they are too worried about going forward, bit like in the Worthington days when as long as we didn''t lose, it was a success. I think a new (the right) manager would re-ignite the passion and desire to attack and score goals. To my mind, we have struggled before in not having the best players available to us, but I feel throughout the team we have the right players in the squad, the potential is huge, however they are just not being utilised correctly. I''ve never been particularly pro or anti Hughton, but feel a change is needed, just to freshen things up before it''s too late.[/quote]

Exactly this ! Well written

[quote user="lake district canary"]For all you troubled fans, I will put the record straight.   Hooper is starting to look quality.  Howson has been nutured by Hughton and is beginning to show his worth.  E. Bennett was another who looked as if he was going to push on this season.   Redmond and Bassong came here because they know Hughton will bring them on well and get the best out of them.   R. Bennett has improved, most would say.    Russell Martin recently has looked very good.  RVW hasn''t settled yet - its not uncommon for a new striker to take time to start scoring.   Fer has been very good until recently, acclimatised well - but maybe needs a break (had and enforced break today).   Olsson looks a class act.  Johnson has been good in Tettey''s absence and Tettey himself looked class until he was injured.  Hoolahan played as well as I have ever seen him play against MU.  

I think that''s most of the team...........  

[/quote]That''s your opinion - which you are entitled to. But I would still say that the only players who have improved under Hughton''s management - who has come in to the club and RAISED their game would be potentially Ryan Bennett and Redmond.Elliot Bennett, Cafu, Howson, Johnson and Hoolahan all played well under Lambert in our return to the Premiership. Since Hughton came in - in my opinion - Howson took a massive step back before coming back into it recently, Johnson, Benno and Hoolahan have played less under Hughton than they did under Lambert. Lambo might too have bought new players and given these players less game time but they''ve hardly improved if they''re playing less.As for the rest, they''re Hughton signings; Hooper who scored 30 goals every season (albeit in Scotland), Bassong who played like a Trojan last season and a Durex this - same with Tettey, RvW who came in with a load of fanfare and is not being used properly or at all and Olsson has played in the Prem for years and is a Swedish international.I''m not saying that all these players play badly, I''m just saying have any raised their game? Conversely quite a few players have come in and performed well below expectation and what they have proven they are capable of at other clubs. Similarly, players like Holt, Howson, Ruddy and Pilkington seemed to take a step back in terms of quality and confidence. Others like Vaughan, Fox, Surman and Ward were just booted out of the club. Butterfield and Becchiwho were bought and then never played!

Lambert certainly got the best out of league1/championship players. (the rest is history)

Under Houghton. players like Surman, Ward, Holt, Barnett etc. certainly ain''t setting the championship alight now are they

[quote user="JF"]I havn''t read the whole thread but I think Josh Murphy''s interview on radio Norfolk about Hughtons management is telling. When asked if Hughton just says to him to go out and do his thing he replied "no I have to have defensive responsibilities it''s all about the team and I have to track back and defend as well." Now that is fair enough and keeps a solid shape but when the presenter on Norfolk asked Eadie if Mike Walker said the same to him he replied " no he just told me to go out and do my thing." the players are just a little bit too leashed with Hughton and that needs to be loosened slightly.[/quote]

The issue there is  that the premiership has moved on from 1993.  Every club has players that can win a match just like that.  Fear has taken over and the financial stakes are so high now its ridiculous.   So nearly every club in the lower half of the table is struggling to get happy go lucky expressive football going, where players can just go out and do their thing.   There are only a handful of clubs that can do that.   We are not one of them.  Every player is needed to help defend. Actually its an old fashioned concept.   Attack as a team, defend as a team.   Though we don''t do that enough, it worked at WBA and has worked to the extent we are still handily placed for tenth place in the league.  I hope we can get a bit more confidence going forward, but whatever, the most important thing this season is staying in the league and putting ourselves in the position to push on again next season.   Pretty it may not be at the moment, but long term, it may be worth it.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Sherwood seems to have simplified spurs and took the "complicated approach" away.

Spurs def seem to be playing with more freedom, tonight aside![/quote]
Beginners luck?
[;)]

I would like a manager with more steel, it saddened me watching hughton trudch off at half time against Palace.

What would fergie have done or any manager who sticks up for his players and club, they would have been on the pitch having a right go at the ref about dodgy decisions.

Typical Rose Tinted specs from LSD again, must spend his whole life tripping as he''s not watching the same things as 90% of fans!!!!!!!!!!!!

LDC - my take

RVW & Hooper – bought to suit a defensive philosophy, and these quality strikers are supposed to maximise our return on the minimal chance we make. Injuries have meant that we are probably only just beginning to see the true worth of Hooper.

Howson - was beginning to show his worth, when played as the most advanced of 3 central midfielders.

Redmond – our most exciting player to watch, came here to play Premier League football under a manager that trusts his attacking ability.

Bassong came here to play Premier League football, he has played Newcastle, Wolves & Spurs, on his day he is imperious, but doesn’t perform consistently.

Russell Martin – has proved himself an excellent squad player, provided excellent value for money to the club, but lacks a bit of pace.

Fer - has great potential.

Olsson – I’d like him to improve defensively.

Johnson - has improved since coming back into the team. I think we have tried to set up a tiny bit more offensive of late (a 4-4-1-1 rather than 4-2-3-1) giving him slightly more room to play, he has also worked a little on the technical side of his game having lost his position, fair credit to him.

Hoolahan – is suffering from not playing regularly. He is one player we have that will always look for the ball, I think he is a long way off top form but his attributes are highlighted because it what we are so sadly lacking.