Sign in to follow this  
Myra Hawtree

The "Famous" Snake Pit Fans

Where were all those "ardent, loyal, etc" snake pit fans today??? Conspicuous by their absence once again and it can''t be because the ticket prices were too high! Maybe they are following Lambert''s lead and don''t care about the traditional FA Cup?

What actual point are you trying to make here?
That you went and that makes you a better fan?

[quote user="Number 9"]IF they did go Morty, maybe they would like to explain why they were so quiet.

It was pin drop country[/quote]
Let me guess, hughtons negative football?

Can''t speak for those around me, but personally i couldn''t be bothered.Cup game, against Fulham who we never beat, having spent multiple thousands following City up and down the country over the last year. It felt like a well deserved break.But thanks for asking.

Not quite the whole stadium. Thorpe end, Fulham fans tried, we''ve got three managers was repeated several times

Myra Hawtree wrote the following post at 2014-01-05 3:40 AM:

Where were all those "ardent, loyal, etc" snake pit fans today??? Conspicuous by their absence once again and it can''t be because the ticket prices were too high! Maybe they are following Lambert''s lead and don''t care about the traditional FA Cup?

Possibly more to do with the utter dire and continual poor winless football that Mr Hughtons NCFC are playing. Many many season ticket holders were missing today, and with reduced prices and kids for a pound they still couldn''t fill the ground. There was, quite simply, no atmosphere in Carrow Road at all today, just as there hasn''t been for months. For a crowd to get excited, they need to see something exciting!

[quote user="Myra Hawtree"]Where were all those "ardent, loyal, etc" snake pit fans today??? Conspicuous by their absence once again and it can''t be because the ticket prices were too high! Maybe they are following Lambert''s lead and don''t care about the traditional FA Cup?[/quote]

A rather provocative remark for the vice chairman of the Norwich City Supporters Trust to make if I may say.

Having supported City for 60 years I could say I have seen it all with many highs and lows. True fans support the Club through thick and thin. The highs are so much more enjoyable when there have been downs. In recent seasons the Club has been on a high and many younger fans expect this to continue. History shows that all Clubs have their ups and downs and many teams in the lower Leagues would give anything to be where we are now. We must stop moaning and get behind the team for the rest of the season. It''s up to the players once they are on the pitch to deliver.

[quote user="Myra Hawtree"]Having supported City for 60 years I could say I have seen it all with many highs and lows. True fans support the Club through thick and thin. The highs are so much more enjoyable when there have been downs. In recent seasons the Club has been on a high and many younger fans expect this to continue. History shows that all Clubs have their ups and downs and many teams in the lower Leagues would give anything to be where we are now. We must stop moaning and get behind the team for the rest of the season. It''s up to the players once they are on the pitch to deliver.[/quote]Thanks Myra, your post has gladdened my heart.Unfortunately you are banging your head against a brick wall. They don''t want to hear the truth, They are blind to history and those that deny history are doomed to see it repeated in front of their eyes. They think things should be different just because want it it to be. You won''t change these people, they have to live through it before they will accept it and even then some never will.Just wait for them to bring up the "little Norwich" syndrome, it''s a straw man argument but it''s all they have left. If they can''t see that our club is just one of many in the bottom half of the Prem and the top half of the Champs that are in continual rotation it''s because they don''t want it that way. It''s Human Nature I suppose and but the deny it even when it''s rubbed in their faces.I suspect my post will meet with the usual " but I want it all and I want it now".

This from Morty made me smile: ''What actual point are you trying to make here? That you went and that makes you a better fan?''

Remember Morty making the point about real fans attending the Youth games last season and real fans attending the Hull away game this season.

What point were you trying to make, Morty? That you went and that makes you a better fan?

[quote user="im spartacus"]whatever way you paint it up they are never there for cup games, i couldn''t care less if they go or not but the OP isn''t saying anything that isn''t true [/quote]

Quite right.

I don''t really care but for the fact that we are constantly having the Snakepit pushed down our throats as the top fans on here, McVeigh and Butler and even the idiot who introduces OTBC at the start. Posters from the Snakepit sneer at the rest of us for our alleged passivity. It does lead to the legitimate question as to why, if they are so much the best of us, is it usually half full for cup matches?

Whilst I''m nowhere near as old as some on here, I''ve been about a fair few years and can clearly remember the dross on offer during the late 90s and early 2000s.  I can also remember the highs of Europe, the run to the Playoff final, the season of Worthy''s "we''re just pleased to be here" and off course the fall and rise down to League One.  During all this time I believe we''ve had performances and results that match the squad that''s been available.  We''ve had highs when we''ve had a more competitive squad and lows when we''ve had to rely on free transfers and loans.Over my 25 years of supporting City this is the first time where I believe the squad we''ve got isn''t playing to its full potential.  This could be down to the players, but in my mind it all goes back to the manager and coaching staff.  I''ve got a team who work for me and it''s my job to train and motivate them to do their best for me and the company.  If I get them working well my job is then easy.  I just don''t feel our management team lead by Mr Hughton is making the best use of what''s available to him, it''s my opinion and one shared by an increasing number of people.  There''s no desire for instant success, it''s just the way I currently see things at Carrow Road.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Myra Hawtree"]Having supported City for 60 years I could say I have seen it all with many highs and lows. True fans support the Club through thick and thin. The highs are so much more enjoyable when there have been downs. In recent seasons the Club has been on a high and many younger fans expect this to continue. History shows that all Clubs have their ups and downs and many teams in the lower Leagues would give anything to be where we are now. We must stop moaning and get behind the team for the rest of the season. It''s up to the players once they are on the pitch to deliver.[/quote]Thanks Myra, your post has gladdened my heart.Unfortunately you are banging your head against a brick wall. They don''t want to hear the truth, They are blind to history and those that deny history are doomed to see it repeated in front of their eyes. They think things should be different just because want it it to be. You won''t change these people, they have to live through it before they will accept it and even then some never will.Just wait for them to bring up the "little Norwich" syndrome, it''s a straw man argument but it''s all they have left. If they can''t see that our club is just one of many in the bottom half of the Prem and the top half of the Champs that are in continual rotation it''s because they don''t want it that way. It''s Human Nature I suppose and but the deny it even when it''s rubbed in their faces.I suspect my post will meet with the usual " but I want it all and I want it now".[/quote]

You are right Ricardo. We (whether as individuals or as a club( should all just accept our natural place in life and never strive to improve or do as well as we possibly can at any given time. Why try and upset the apple cart when we can just toddle along being mediocre. I will no doubt only realise this great wisdom once I have been attending Carrow Road for 60 years (approaching 30 not yet being enough) as you point out in virtually every post.

Fulham at home was about the most uninspiring draw we could have got especially given our pityful record against them, being in the same League as us and having only played them a week and a bit earlier!

That said I thought the crowd of just under 22,000 was a superb turn out given the above circumstances!

Its very rare the atmosphere at a home 3rd round cup game is that good, even a more interesting draw and this goes back as long as I''ve been going to Carrow Road which is 40 and a bit years!

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Myra Hawtree"]Having supported City for 60 years I could say I have seen it all with many highs and lows. True fans support the Club through thick and thin. The highs are so much more enjoyable when there have been downs. In recent seasons the Club has been on a high and many younger fans expect this to continue. History shows that all Clubs have their ups and downs and many teams in the lower Leagues would give anything to be where we are now. We must stop moaning and get behind the team for the rest of the season. It''s up to the players once they are on the pitch to deliver.[/quote]Thanks Myra, your post has gladdened my heart.Unfortunately you are banging your head against a brick wall. They don''t want to hear the truth, They are blind to history and those that deny history are doomed to see it repeated in front of their eyes. They think things should be different just because want it it to be. You won''t change these people, they have to live through it before they will accept it and even then some never will.Just wait for them to bring up the "little Norwich" syndrome, it''s a straw man argument but it''s all they have left. If they can''t see that our club is just one of many in the bottom half of the Prem and the top half of the Champs that are in continual rotation it''s because they don''t want it that way. It''s Human Nature I suppose and but the deny it even when it''s rubbed in their faces.I suspect my post will meet with the usual " but I want it all and I want it now".[/quote]

You are right Ricardo. We (whether as individuals or as a club( should all just accept our natural place in life and never strive to improve or do as well as we possibly can at any given time. Why try and upset the apple cart when we can just toddle along being mediocre. I will no doubt only realise this great wisdom once I have been attending Carrow Road for 60 years (approaching 30 not yet being enough) as you point out in virtually every post.[/quote]

I feel your bitterness Jim, but the one thing you fail to acknowledge is that there can be  no improvement beyond a certain point. The top seven have virtually always been the top seven. We can''t break into that without a billionaire turning up and nor can anyone else in the rest of the Prem. It''s the reason why managers and clubs recycle constantly because they think they can. You don''t need to be a clairvoyant to see how  rest of us move up and down the pyramid.Thirty years should have been long enough for you to see this simple truth. If you don''t want to, then there''s nothing I can say that will help. Prepare for the pain, it will come round again all in good time.If all the clubs who thought they had a divine right to be in the Premier League were actually in it then `we would have to play 70 games a season. Facts don''t change just because we don''t like them.Bitterness only makes you unhappy and it won''t change the world one jot. Mind yourself on the applecart Jim, neither NCFC nor all the other also ran''s will ever turn that over unless they can get on the same financial footing as the big seven. I see little prospect of that.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Atmosphere was terrible yesterday. Apart from the occasional y''army and OTBC I don''t think another song was sung. Fulham were ok first half but silent second. I just get the feeling the majority are just fed up and frustrated with Hughtons style of football.[/quote]Very quiet from the home fans yesterday - as it was for Luton last season - but I don''t think yesterday can be blamed on our style. It wasn''t a bad game really but it was the FA Cup and neither club seemed to bothered about it. At times it seemed almost like a friendly. The make up of the crowd didn''t help. Many season ticket holders gave it a wide berth so lots of Mum''s and Dad''s bringing their '' kids for a quid '' meant the atmosphere was pretty '' happy clappy ''.I reckon the poor old stewards must have been worn out directing all those once-a season strangers to their seats......[:''(]

Agree about the make up of the crowd yesterday and lack of atmosphere.

Although I am not in the "Hughton Out" camp, I do wonder about the quality and expertise of the coaching staff who are probably more involved with the players than Hughton and I believe have failed elsewhere. I think Culverhouse was more involved with the day to day training than Lambert too.

[quote user="Myra Hawtree"]Agree about the make up of the crowd yesterday and lack of atmosphere.[/quote]

So why single out and have a go at The Snakepit then ? Mind you there is a history of you having a go going back years with regard to fellow fans as any readers of the EDP or EEN will testify.

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]This from Morty made me smile: ''What actual point are you trying to make here? That you went and that makes you a better fan?''

Remember Morty making the point about real fans attending the Youth games last season and real fans attending the Hull away game this season.

What point were you trying to make, Morty? That you went and that makes you a better fan?[/quote]Wow, does making a petty point mean THAT much to you?Did you go yesterday?

I have been in the Snake Pit, for over 5 years now,and over 14 years in the Barclay!! yesterday decided to sit in the River End with a few friends, well normally my view is that the whole River End looks like cardboard cut outs!! yesterday i got up to Yarmy chant, every one around me gave me death stares, tutted and rustled their lap blankets!!! if that is what supporting your club is like in that end, then your welcome to it!!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="YellowNets1901"]This from Morty made me smile: ''What actual point are you trying to make here? That you went and that makes you a better fan?''

What point were you trying to make, Morty? That you went and that makes you a better fan?[/quote]Wow, does making a petty point mean THAT much to you?Did you go yesterday?[/quote]i feel an invite for a cosy pint coming and a bit of clarification  [:D]

[quote user="im spartacus"][quote user="morty"][quote user="YellowNets1901"]This from Morty made me smile: ''What actual point are you trying to make here? That you went and that makes you a better fan?''

What point were you trying to make, Morty? That you went and that makes you a better fan?[/quote]Wow, does making a petty point mean THAT much to you?Did you go yesterday?[/quote]i feel an invite for a cosy pint coming and a bit of clarification  [:D][/quote]I''ll happily share a beer with (almost) anyone.[:)]