Sign in to follow this  
The ghost of Michael Theoklitos

The Tim Sherwood experement

I think we have a great case study to take a look at at Spurs in regards to their appointment of Tim Sherwood. So many people on here in the ''Hughton out'' camp point to his conservative approach to the game, and his reluctance to play 2 strikers, especially away from home.We''ll, let''s see how this approach is going to suit Spurs for the second half of the year. From the continental and modern approach of AVB and 4-2-3-1, Sherwood appears to be from the old school of 4-4-2 with 2 up top. He likes to be attacking and appears to be doing all the things people on here wish Hughton would do.Is it going to work? Well so fare after a decent start, and a lucky win against Man Utd (even though I hate Utd, I can admit they should have had 2 pens), he was shown a bit of a tactical masterclass against Wenger on the weekend.Personally, I think it might all end up in tears for Spurs, however I kind of hope I''m wrong, as if successful, maybe it might start a little bit of an attacking trend in the Premier League. I guess at least people at White Hart Lane will be ''entertained'', which is the main thing in football, right?

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]I guess at least people at White Hart Lane will be ''entertained'', which is the main thing in football, right?[/quote]Yep, because I certainly don''t see good value in paying £40-50 to watch 90 minutes of crap just so I can potentially boast to my friends and colleagues that we won...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]I guess at least people at White Hart Lane will be ''entertained'', which is the main thing in football, right?[/quote]Yep, because I certainly don''t see good value in paying £40-50 to watch 90 minutes of crap just so I can potentially boast to my friends and colleagues that we won...[/quote]Like it or not, football is ultimately about results.When they print the score in the paper, they don''t draw pictures, just numbers.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]I guess at least people at White Hart Lane will be ''entertained'', which is the main thing in football, right?[/quote]
Yep, because I certainly don''t see good value in paying £40-50 to watch 90 minutes of crap just so I can potentially boast to my friends and colleagues that we won...
[/quote]

Like it or not, football is ultimately about results.

When they print the score in the paper, they don''t draw pictures, just numbers.
[/quote]

And yet fans remember those games which entertained Liverpool v Newcastle, 4-3, City v Borough 4-4 and so on, none of us fans remeber those dull games!

Sad state in football, that fans are no longer the prime focus, money to cover the over inflated wages.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]Like it or not, football is ultimately about results.[/quote]I don''t like it, that''s why I''d rather watch ''exciting'' 4-3 games, or dramatic 2-1 comebacks instead of dour, boring 1-0 wins that a team has ground out for 90 minutes...Amazing that some people are happy to spend their hard earned cash watching utter tripe, just to be there if we get a result...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]Like it or not, football is ultimately about results.[/quote]I don''t like it, that''s why I''d rather watch ''exciting'' 4-3 games, or dramatic 2-1 comebacks instead of dour, boring 1-0 wins that a team has ground out for 90 minutes...Amazing that some people are happy to spend their hard earned cash watching utter tripe, just to be there if we get a result...[/quote]Some people?You say it like we have a choice what ''style'' our manager adopts.I''m not disagreeing with your point. We all love exciting attacking football. However if that type of football is not successful, it''s not going to last very long, as managers will be changed and expectations set. None of those decisions will be made by the paying punters.The ''style'' of football that gets played will ultimately be the one that produces the results that meet the expectations of the club.

Couldn''t agree more Indy the 0-1 win against Stoke being a case in point. Great win (90 minutes of my life I will never get back)

Failure to beat Arsenal proves nothing.

[quote user="RvWs 4 year contract"]Not every team can play exciting attacking football every game.[/quote]More than twice a season would be nice though...

Stranger things may happen but it would not surprise me to see him here as manager within the next year. he is doing well but has only been given an 18 month contract. I suspect a bigger name from overseas will be lined up and he is minding the shop at Spurs. expect him to be dumped in due course with cash in his pocket, and he would be a wonderful manager to take over here with an attacking philosophy

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Stranger things may happen but it would not surprise me to see him here as manager within the next year. he is doing well but has only been given an 18 month contract. I suspect a bigger name from overseas will be lined up and he is minding the shop at Spurs. expect him to be dumped in due course with cash in his pocket, and he would be a wonderful manager to take over here with an attacking philosophy[/quote]But if his attacking philosophy fails at Spurs enough for him to be sacked, would we want him here?

I like your thinking OP, it is also interesting that it is a promotion from within in the club, which some have also suggested for us eventually, it is certainly is something to keep an eye on.