Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Ink

Player of the 1/2 Season?

If you had to award the Player of Season award now, who would be the top 3?

I am really struggling to pick a winner, due to injuries to key players and some hot & cold performances.

After a little bit of thought my 3 would be...

1. Michael Turner - our most consistent defender. Hardly put a foot wrong so far this season.

2. Nathan Redmond - Big effort and exciting to watch. But needs to improve his final ball and start placing it, instead of blasting it over all the time.

3. Johny Howson - a couple of spectacular goals, and seems to have found a new lease of life.

My biggest dissapointments have been Bassong, RvW (based on pre-season expectations) and Pilkington (just for being injured all the time).

Some of our players have been marginally better than others but none of them deserve any sort of award or accolade for what they have produced so far this season.

I also think Fer should be in with a shout. Obviously tired towards the end of the year, but before that he has been magnificent!

Becchio, hasn''t put a foot wrong!

(in his total of 20 minutes)

Howson for consistent contribution

Fer for sublime moments

Redmond for excitement

The disappointments have to be RvW, Snodgrass and Bassong

Olsson would certainly win it for me. Works hard, defends well, helps out in the attack and has pace to get him and the rest of the defence of sticky situations. Think he was probably the best buy of the Summer as well. Shame we can''t clone a right footed version of him.

Tettey has only made 7 league apps this season.

Bit weird people put him ahead of Howson and others.

AJ wrote the following post at 05/01/2014 11:54 AM:

Becchio, hasn''t put a foot wrong!

(in his total of 20 minutes)

Becchio hasn''t put a foot on the pitch.... Oh yes he has, forgot about that? Like having a new signing

[quote user="GJP"]Tettey has only made 7 league apps this season.

Bit weird people put him ahead of Howson and others.[/quote]In the modern game it is incredibly hard to win the ball and to then keep possession without giving away a free-kick. Tettey is one of the very best in the Premier League at doing that job.Notice that when BJ plays he sometimes wins the ball but it often goes straight back to the opposition.Howson isn''t very good at doing anything in particular. He doesn''t create any goals for the strikers and he isn''t very good at winning the ball. For those that rate Howson so highly, please tell me what he''s so good at!Fer has enormous potential but he looks like he is going through the motions for most of a match. It seems to take him more than half the match to start to get going.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="GJP"]Tettey has only made 7 league apps this season. Bit weird people put him ahead of Howson and others.[/quote]

In the modern game it is incredibly hard to win the ball and to then keep possession without giving away a free-kick. Tettey is one of the very best in the Premier League at doing that job.

Notice that when BJ plays he sometimes wins the ball but it often goes straight back to the opposition.

Howson isn''t very good at doing anything in particular. He doesn''t create any goals for the strikers and he isn''t very good at winning the ball. For those that rate Howson so highly, please tell me what he''s so good at!

Fer has enormous potential but he looks like he is going through the motions for most of a match. It seems to take him more than half the match to start to get going.
[/quote]

I''m a big fan of Tettey. He''d be in my team. But I also know he hasn''t played that many games this season and other players have made bigger contributions.

You talk about the importance of possession (particularly at Premier League level, of course) which makes it very odd you can''t see what Howson brings. There is nobody better at keeping the ball for Norwich than him.

I know Tettey has the highest pass success rate but that obviously includes a lot of safe short passes. Howson moves the ball much better in tighter and trickier situations. Up until his injury he had made far more successful passes than Fer.

And without the ball Howson is very good at cutting out the opposition supply lines because he reads the game very well and has the mobility to get in the right place. Despite being out injured he has still made more interceptions than Fer.

His big new contract really shows just how highly he is valued and it''s fully justified.

I''m a fan of Fer too by the way. I think he''s a very good player. But I find it odd that people, like yourself, can speak of his "enormous potential". Based on what? His statistics for the season are very similar to Howson''s (and weaker in a few areas). Yet Fer has all the potential and Howson is perhaps overrated?

So, to conclude, I think Tettey, Fer and Howson are all good players. But I like credit where it''s due and Howson has been bigger for us this season than Tettey.