According to the Daily Mail (So probably untrue) we are trying to revive a deal for the Everton defender.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2534281/Norwich-eye-Heitinga-Everton-defender-snubbed-West-Ham-switch.html#ixzz2pZ6FdKgL

Not sure how to hyperlink it...

Really don''t see the logic behind this one tbh.Isn''t any better than either Bassong or Turner, and I''d rather nurture R.Bennett and give Russ games at CB than I would play Heitinga as well!Let''s hope this is just paper talk - PLEASE!

Turner is injured for a while,Bassong is injury prone, Whittaker is our only right back if Martin is covering the centre. It makes sense to me!

I commented on this link last week when he pulled out of the west ham move. He could be a reasonably cheap asset and remember whilst his main position is defense he can also play as a defensive midfielder. Lets be honest to get 87 caps for Holland he cant be that bad

Slow and very rash. Cant see it happening to be honest. Rather have someone like Scott Dann or Grant Hanley at Blackburn.

A couple of days ago, i''d have been very excited at the prospect, he was one of the highest rated players in europe!

Now after a poor spell at Everton on big money, i''m not sure. He is versatile and would keep the 3 CB''s we have on their toes, so i wouldn''t be too unhappy, but not overwhelmed.

Walking booking, well past it and not a position where we should be focusing. If that is what Hughton thinks the answer is we are in worse trouble than i thought with this joke of a manager.

Would not be disappointed with this signing.

As a previous poster said, you don''t get 87 caps for Holland for no reason.

30 is a reasonable age for a defender, and he would offer valuable experience and competition at both CB and as a defensive midfielder.

A better all round defender than Turner.

''IF'' he is willing to take a wage cut to fall into line with our structure, then think he could be a useful addition.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Walking booking, well past it and not a position where we should be focusing. If that is what Hughton thinks the answer is we are in worse trouble than i thought with this joke of a manager.[/quote]
Agree that he is well past his best and liable to get booked a lot but I disagree about the position we should be focusing on, for me we NEED a quality CB. With Turner injured we only have Bassong and Bennett with Martin/Whitt who can play there but not ideal, for me we should have got a CB in the summer. But we do also need to strengthen elsewhere. 

A succession of nasty injuries turned a once very fine player into a very average one. Not good enough to displace Turner or Bassong and almost guaranteed to get send off or give away goals.

Whilst the fee would be minimal, the wages would be high. Better can be found for less.

So not only can he not get a game unless Jagielka is out injured, but he''s also been unable to displace 36 year old Sylvain Distin in the process...so much for those 87 caps...The everton fans don''t rate him, the manager clearly doesn''t rate him and now he thinks he''s too good for West Ham...Avoid at all costs.

Definitely think we need a quality centre back. A real strong ball winning organiser who''s not too shabby at passing either. Heitinga is not this so no thanks.

Won''t be seeing him in a Norwich shirt and simply because he wants first team football as it''s World Cup year and he''s not better than what we already have.

He might be ok to have in the squad if he was going to cost considerably less in wages and fees etc etc

But you wouldn''t want to pay him £60k a week unless he is at least good enough to replace Bassong or Turner. Which he isn''t.

I''d be a bit disappointed if we couldn''t attract a more interesting prospect - it''d be a bit of a "oh, he''ll do I suppose" signing which isn''t really what we''re after

Tend to agree wih most on here, is he really the quality we need? is he not just another squad player, do we not have enough cover at CB with squad players? Should this position be filled by someone considerably better than Heitinga?

Don''t see anything in this. Just another Daily Mail story putting two and two together and making five.

Comparing him with Turner or Bassong may be missing the point. He can also play as a defensive midfielder, something we have lacked since Tettey was injured, Last season Tettey was subdued after an injury and not really at his best for the rest of the season. Perhaps it is the ability to play either CB or DM which attracts.

I would have thought that his height is no greater than Martin''s, and the latter struggles against very tall strikers. Also of concern is that he really does not seem rated at Everton and hasn''''t played in the Premiership this season, or for Holland for a year or two. Has he lost some pace and ability, as some are suggested.

All in all I have mixed feelings about this potential signing. I am also wondering if our alleged interest is something being promoted by his agent, or even by Everton.

Not a very forward thinking move and just an average squad player which surely cannot be part of a bigger picture that I hoped we would be looking at.

Asked my mate about Heitinga. He''s a keen Evertonian. He said that he was their POTS a couple of seasons ago, but he''s a bit leightweight and they have 4 other CB''s. Decent but not great.

I quite like the sound of that, it sounds like what Bassong was like just before he came here.

This is reported in The Times today as well. He is out of contract at Everton in June but doesn''t want to be involved in a relegation battle at West Ham, who offered him a six month deal last week. We have 2 other Dutch players which may be an attraction for him .

Also in the EDP http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city-fc/holland_international_defender_john_heitinga_is_linked_with_norwich_city_transfer_1_3177808

A top quality centre back was a needed in the summer. The management correctly identified this priority but for whatever reason they were not able to get anyone in. At the very least we need a loan to cover any further problems in this area.I have no idea whether Heitinga is the answer or not.

[quote user="dylanisabaddog"]This is reported in The Times today as well. He is out of contract at Everton in June but doesn''t want to be involved in a relegation battle at West Ham, who offered him a six month deal last week. We have 2 other Dutch players which may be an attraction for him .

Also in the EDP http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city-fc/holland_international_defender_john_heitinga_is_linked_with_norwich_city_transfer_1_3177808[/quote]

Well he doesn''t have much choice regarding the relegation battle if he wants to stay in England. There''s probably only Southampton and maybe Newcastle below Everton in stature that won''t be fighting relegation this season.

I don''t know i''d be convinced he''d be the answer at CDM but as Bassongs partner, he could turn into a great buy.