Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Murphy Hype

Chris Hughton demanding less hype of the Murphys and ready to shield them.

I dont think we''re guilty of ''hyping'' the Murphy twins, I think most fans are just hopeful. hype rather implies fans are expectant. i dont think the fans have put any kind of pressure or expectation on the twins to become the next big thing, I think most are just happy to recognize their potential and are excited and proud to have two academy products breaking into the first team. I dont think supporting them and willing them on is the same as hyping them and expecting from them.

If anything this mentality is what he needs to protect Redmond from, and thats probably because we paid money for him and he''s older. Without the Murphy''s we might be a bit less expectant of Redmond, but he''s no longer the baby in the group. I dont think the Murphys need shielding, they seem to be enjoying themselves and coping just fine.

In my Grandads paper, I think The Times hey have Josh a 9 for Saturdsay.

I tought at HT if Redmond isn''t careful he''ll be overtaken soon. Murphy seems to be a tad ahead of him on decision making already. Was using Olsson a lot, crossing the ball (although mostly low to the near post) and nearly scored.. So really as far as I can see, it''s the physical stuff and consistency that will keep him out of the team. As ability wise he, and quite probably his brother aren''t really any worse than Redmond.

I really don''t know what Hughton is waffling on about re "hype" over Murphy. I haven''t seen any to date. All I''ve seen are some positive comments about a young player who did pretty well on his full debut. If there media was full on about how he was the next Ryan Giggs/a shoo in for the England squad etc etc, then I could understand it. But theres''s been nothing of that sort. If there''s been any hype this season it''s been silly stuff like touting Howson for the England World Cup squad. Good player, and our POTS so far, but not close to warranting International recognition imho.

Rooney didnt like being ''shielded'' by Moyes, and there was some quite significant fall-out from that. Doesnt of course prove that Rooney is not an unappreciative oaf, but shielding a young talent certainly has to be handled properly

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]I really don''t know what Hughton is waffling on about re "hype" over Murphy. I haven''t seen any to date. All I''ve seen are some positive comments about a young player who did pretty well on his full debut. If there media was full on about how he was the next Ryan Giggs/a shoo in for the England squad etc etc, then I could understand it. But theres''s been nothing of that sort. If there''s been any hype this season it''s been silly stuff like touting Howson for the England World Cup squad. Good player, and our POTS so far, but not close to warranting International recognition imho.[/quote]

So if Murphy came in to the 11 and started, scored and played amazing for the rest of the season, is there a spare ticket to Brazil... JK i''m being silly, but i do think one or two of our players are only a sustained good run of form away from a ticket to Brazil.

As for Rooney not liking the protection he got. I imagine that''s true but he''s probably better for it.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]I really don''t know what Hughton is waffling on about re "hype" over Murphy. I haven''t seen any to date. All I''ve seen are some positive comments about a young player who did pretty well on his full debut.

If there media was full on about how he was the next Ryan Giggs/a shoo in for the England squad etc etc, then I could understand it. But theres''s been nothing of that sort. If there''s been any hype this season it''s been silly stuff like touting Howson for the England World Cup squad. Good player, and our POTS so far, but not close to warranting International recognition imho.
[/quote]

Look at the 2nd comment on this thread - you''ll see plenty of hype there.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]

So if Murphy came in to the 11 and started, scored and played amazing for the rest of the season, is there a spare ticket to Brazil... JK i''m being silly, but i do think one or two of our players are only a sustained good run of form away from a ticket to Brazil. .[/quote]I can sort of see the point you are making, Jimmy,and form certainly does come into it. As do injuries, and let''s not forget that there have ben several squad members out recently injured, who will presumably be fit by June.Just who are these "one or two" Norwich players who you claim are on the cusp of a ticket to the greatest football competition in the world ??

The fact that some of you are mad at Hughton for protecting the Murphy''s proves his plan to protect them and allow them to simply focus on football is working.

Keep talking about Hughton, it''s what he wants.

[quote user="Buh"]The fact that some of you are mad at Hughton for protecting the Murphy''s proves his plan to protect them and allow them to simply focus on football is working.

Keep talking about Hughton, it''s what he wants.[/quote]Don''t really follow that Buh.No one has said they are "mad " at Hughton. Just that some of us do not recognise the hype that he''s referring to.

It''s nice to have a young player who is actually worth some hype.

So many times over the years I''ve seen people on here over hype some very ordinary (at best) young players.

At least with Josh and maybe one or two of the others there''s some real ability to catch the eye.

You seriously don''t recognise the hype around these two? I haven''t met a Norwich fan that isn''t mad about these lads they are electric! I am hoping so much they both become regulars but I have seen too many pushed to hard too fast and it ruins them. Opinions of Hughton aside I genuinely think he believes in youth and I think he''s good at nurturing it.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]I really don''t know what Hughton is waffling on about re "hype" over Murphy. I haven''t seen any to date. All I''ve seen are some positive comments about a young player who did pretty well on his full debut. If there media was full on about how he was the next Ryan Giggs/a shoo in for the England squad etc etc, then I could understand it. But theres''s been nothing of that sort. If there''s been any hype this season it''s been silly stuff like touting Howson for the England World Cup squad. Good player, and our POTS so far, but not close to warranting International recognition imho.[/quote]

[/quote]
Exactly my thoughts the instant I read it.
Hoots knows what''s what round here [:)]

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]

So if Murphy came in to the 11 and started, scored and played amazing for the rest of the season, is there a spare ticket to Brazil... JK i''m being silly, but i do think one or two of our players are only a sustained good run of form away from a ticket to Brazil. .[/quote]I can sort of see the point you are making, Jimmy,and form certainly does come into it. As do injuries, and let''s not forget that there have ben several squad members out recently injured, who will presumably be fit by June.Just who are these "one or two" Norwich players who you claim are on the cusp of a ticket to the greatest football competition in the world ??[/quote]

Hooper if he grabbed another 10 goals would surely get a thought given to him, Ruddy should be off and can hopefully maintain his recovery to form, Redmond if he sorts his end product out (maybe even sets up all of Hoopers 10 goals!), Howson if he came back and banged in the goals a la Ramsey.

Not likely but not impossible theories.

It''s not so much "hype" it''s just desperation. People will latch onto anything that shows a glimmer of hope whether it''s the Murphys or Fox.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]

So if Murphy came in to the 11 and started, scored and played amazing for the rest of the season, is there a spare ticket to Brazil... JK i''m being silly, but i do think one or two of our players are only a sustained good run of form away from a ticket to Brazil. .[/quote]I can sort of see the point you are making, Jimmy,and form certainly does come into it. As do injuries, and let''s not forget that there have ben several squad members out recently injured, who will presumably be fit by June.Just who are these "one or two" Norwich players who you claim are on the cusp of a ticket to the greatest football competition in the world ??[/quote]

Hooper if he grabbed another 10 goals would surely get a thought given to him, Ruddy should be off and can hopefully maintain his recovery to form, Redmond if he sorts his end product out (maybe even sets up all of Hoopers 10 goals!), Howson if he came back and banged in the goals a la Ramsey.

Not likely but not impossible theories.[/quote]I think I have as much chance as representing England at the World Cup as Redmond & Howson do....

...and I''m not English.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/world-cup-team-specials/england/to-make-world-cup-squad

14-1 are you?

I see Hooper and Redmond are our best bets.

Ruddy is now down to 4th in the pecking order for keepers.

I might have a cheeky tenner on the Ruddy one actually. I think Hodgson will stick with him.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]http://www.oddschecker.com/football/world-cup-team-specials/england/to-make-world-cup-squad

14-1 are you?

I might have a cheeky tenner on the Ruddy one actually. I think Hodgson will stick with him.[/quote]I kind of took Ruddy as a given in the "Norwich England possible" stakes . the general feeling is that, if fit Foster will be number two, so it''s down to Ruddy or Forster as benchwarmer in chief.As for others, I tend to agree with Michael Theokltos on this one. If for no other reason that it seems that only a tiny number of players from non-fashionable clubs get into England squads, and Southampton seem to have cornered the market (Lallana quite rightly to my mind). What will be intriguing is that if past efforts are anything to go by, it seems obligatory for there to be at least one West Ham player in the squad, and which one of Big Sam''s underachievers will get the nod from Mr Hodgson ?

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]http://www.oddschecker.com/football/world-cup-team-specials/england/to-make-world-cup-squad 14-1 are you? I see Hooper and Redmond are our best bets. Ruddy is now down to 4th in the pecking order for keepers. I might have a cheeky tenner on the Ruddy one actually. I think Hodgson will stick with him.[/quote]

I kind of took Ruddy as a given in the "Norwich England possible" stakes . the general feeling is that, if fit Foster will be number two, so it''s down to Ruddy or Forster as benchwarmer in chief.

As for others, I tend to agree with Michael Theokltos on this one. If for no other reason that it seems that only a tiny number of players from non-fashionable clubs get into England squads, and Southampton seem to have cornered the market (Lallana quite rightly to my mind). What will be intriguing is that if past efforts are anything to go by, it seems obligatory for there to be at least one West Ham player in the squad, and which one of Big Sam''s underachievers will get the nod from Mr Hodgson ?
[/quote]

Doubt any of the West Ham boys will be making it this time round. Ross Barkley might get a call up if he continues to play as well as he has and there are some injuries.

Outside of England Fer and Wolfswinkel are both fighting to get into the Holland squad - although Fer has been included more recently RvW is the more likely to get to the World Cup (as long as he can start scoring for Norwich). Bassong could go with Cameroon - but he seems to have fallen out of favour in International football.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]I really don''t know what Hughton is waffling on about re "hype" over Murphy. I haven''t seen any to date. All I''ve seen are some positive comments about a young player who did pretty well on his full debut.

If there media was full on about how he was the next Ryan Giggs/a shoo in for the England squad etc etc, then I could understand it. But theres''s been nothing of that sort. If there''s been any hype this season it''s been silly stuff like touting Howson for the England World Cup squad. Good player, and our POTS so far, but not close to warranting International recognition imho.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Not really...

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]http://www.oddschecker.com/football/world-cup-team-specials/england/to-make-world-cup-squad

14-1 are you?

I might have a cheeky tenner on the Ruddy one actually. I think Hodgson will stick with him.[/quote]Interesting, despite some of the Howson hype on here, that Grant Holt is shorter odds than him ...!