Sign in to follow this  
RuelFox

Hooper + RVW

We have yet to try it yet for me it could be our most devestating partnership yet. Everytime CH needs to be brave he bottles it, just like at Palace when we played Hooper up front on his own. The game was crying out to match them like-for-like and play 4-4-2.

RVW started season as a lone striker and struggled as no space was created for him, just like Elmander did to allow Hooper space and he flourished.

RVW looked sharp against Fulham in terms of movement, i would start him and Hooper against RVW and get the wingers (Snodgrass and Redmond) just to keep pumping balls in and get to the byline. No funny business, keep it simple and supply ammunition for them.

Im convinced this is the way forward, Barcelona prove that you dont need a target man as dont a load of the big teams such as Real Madrid and Chelsea.

On paper these are our best two strikers, let them work their magic as did Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole who were neither great in the air but born goalscorers just like are two loads.

I agree. Elmander is not our player, Becchio is surely off at some point. Hooper and RvW are our two biggest outlays. They are out future, and surely we should be trying to find a way of playing them together in some formation or system. Difficult to know if that was always the plan considering the injuries

If you''re going to play two poachers, you need a quality attacking midfielder capable of playing cute through balls in and around the box. We love to think that''s Wes, but 11 assists in his 58 Premier League games for us suggests that isn''t good enough. To put that into some perspective, Mesut Ozil has 7 assists in just 15 games. For a player more on our level who plays a similar role to Hoolahan, Adam Lallana has 5 assists in 15 games, a record which looks set to see him have almost double the assists of Hoolahan by the time he has played that number of PL games. Yes, Lallana plays as a wide man as well, but he''s played as many PL games in the hole as he has in any of his other positions. There is probably a better example of player- Maloney is the closest match, but he''s now in the Championship. His assists record is very similar to Hoolahan''s in the Premier League and for me wouldn''t solve the issue.I don''t think Wes for all his ability on the ball sees that key pass as often as we''d like him to, or that he needs to to facilitate playing two poachers.The other thing vital to playing RvW and Hooper would be wingers that can get to the byline. Snodgrass'' prevalence to cut inside means that he would be a bad choice for that role- but his accurate crosses and work ethic is vital to us. Telling Redmond and Snodgrass to stop cutting inside and go round the outside would hinder Snoddy more than it would Redmond, and it would make sense for them to swap wings to allow this. Playing Redmond RW and Snoddy LW and whipping the ball in would allow darting diagonal runs to be made by both Hooper and RvW, but they would need to learn each other''s runs as well, meaning they will need a few games to adjust to it...games that it may be argued are quickly running out.If we had Lallana, we''d be ace... and able to play two poachers up top- but good luck with that for anything under £25m

We should certainly try it but I doubt that they are the right type to play together- I can''t see how either one playing their best style would help the other.If Hooper is asked to play a number 10 to RVW he could do it but I doubt we would be getting the best out of him.They are two number 9s of a different style and unless they play together with a number 10 behind them I don''t imagine it working that well- and if they both play PLUS a number 10 then that is a 3 man midfield needed with no width- kind of rules out playing Snodgrass, Redmond, Murphy, EB or Pilks.Would love to see it but it is not the Hughton way.Tettey Howson        Fer RVW HooperIn front of a back four could be devestating or just a crowded mess! Perhaps with EB fit and playing right back and Olsson on the left they could get forward enough if Tettey and Howson stayed back?Maybe a 2-4-1-2 formation could allow it with the full backs actually lining up as defensive midfielders? Essentially playing two CBs as a left and right sweeper!?

You''ve definitely got Howson and Fer the wrong way round.What happens when the full backs inevitably get caught high on the break?4 v 2 at the back. Goal. Every time.2-4-1-2 isn''t enough players either.Sorry mate, we''d get completely smashed playing like that if you ask me.

A forward is only good as the service they receive. As mentioned RvW in that lone role got 0 service and returned with just a goal. Hooper gets decent service and returns with 7 goals.

If we play them together we need to be far more vigilant in midfield with passing through balls and balls over the top.

Once Tettey and Fer are there, i''d quite like to see it.

I think a 4-2-2-2 line up with Snoddy and Wes attacking mid could work well.

You''re right Ruel, i posted the question ...''can RVW and Hoops be our Cole and Yorke''..a while back. Fergys hand was forced to play them together by injuries and suspensions(he had stated that he felt they were too similar), but it worked, big time. I for one would love to see it tried more. It would stretch defences with two mobile strikers.

[quote user="Canary On The Wire"]You''ve definitely got Howson and Fer the wrong way round.What happens when the full backs inevitably get caught high on the break?4 v 2 at the back. Goal. Every time.2-4-1-2 isn''t enough players either.Sorry mate, we''d get completely smashed playing like that if you ask me.[/quote]I agree (especially if we go all out with 10 men from the start - oops!) I was more trying to point out the problem with trying to get the best out of them both at the same time than suggesting we should play like that!With the Howson and Fer thing I think what we really need is someone to sit next to Tettey there- I see both Howson and Fer as more advanced players- just Howson is better at the holding role than Fer in my book.Maybe 1-2-4-1-2???? Sweeper, center backs, DM and wing backs, playmaker and strikers? HA! I need a sit down! :)