Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Fulham FA Cup

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="ricardo"]Third round day at Carrow Rd in blustery, damp, but mild conditions. Inevitably my mind turnd back to 1958 and that crisp snow covered surface where Charlton, Violett, Quixhall and all were unceremoniously dumped out of the cup in a famous win[/quote]Actually it was January 1959.I was there, 10 years old & because of the large crowd all us kids got sat on the cinder track round the pitch.Magic memories, not least queuing up half the night round the back streets hoping to get tickets for the replays & next rounds.  .[/quote]You are correct MP. We always call it the ''59 Cup run but we forget it started in ''58 because we were a 3rd Division club then and had to start in Round 1.I was 13 yrs old and started queuing at about 11am on that cold January morning. It''s all still so vivid in my mind. The whole City and County went down with Cup Fever that year.[Y]

[quote user="ricardo"]You are correct MP. We always call it the ''59 Cup run but we forget it started in ''58 because we were a 3rd Division club then and had to start in Round 1[/quote]Actually, I was only 9 when we played Man U. as my birthday is in Feb.I was also there for Rounds 1, 2 and 4 - Ilford, Swindon and Cardiff.Then because of the large crowds I wasn''t allowed to go to the later rounds or replays.

Great report Ricardo and though I don''t go back as far as you, I can remember the excitement of the Cup and swaying with the crowd. It was also much better for banter.

As I was only able to listen, I was pleased with your comments about RvW when many are writing him off. For me he (and Hooper as well) are the key to the rest of the season.

Fantstic report as always Ricardo.  For once I had a free Saturday, and (at the risk of opening myself up to howls of plastic related derision  [:D]  ) I decided to go and take my six year old to her first Norwich game, and other than a short loo break that apparently could not wait, on about the 38 minute mark that meant I missed a few minutes, that was pretty much how I saw the match.

I thought Murphy looked like a livewire, and the attacks at pace early on down the left clearly had the Fulham right back worried.  Snodgrass in the middle also appeared to work quite well, particularly in the first half.  Fulham in fairness were poor, and we were certainly the better side overall, but as has been commented here & elsewhere, the final ball, and decision making in the last third, were lacking a certain something, a bit of quality perhaps.

Anyway, my daughter enjoyed it!!

The one thing that concerns me is the way Hughton often says, "we did all we could to win, we put lots of crosses in the box"

Which almost sounds as if he expects all that need be done is put crosses in and goals will happen. Only with us, they don''t. Usually because we haven''t got enough players in the box to take the chances. I keep hearing that we were 4-3-3 but Goreham and Eadie said it was much more a 4-5-1 than a 4-3-3 with the wide two in the forward three spending most of their time on the touchlines and the midfield three not far forward enough either to get on the end of those crosses.

The commentary also said in the final 10 we were still standing off Fulham when out of posession. To me, that is not doing everything they can to win. That''s doing everything they can not to loose. There''s a subtle difference and at times, the latter is the better option, but it''s also CH all over and is the reason we still can''t score goals after a £13-14m investment in our strikeforce. That''s the bottom line. No goal return over and above last season after such an investment. And he has to carry the can for that damning statistic.

Nice Report Ricardo but;

"Olsson showed how it should be done with a cross that found Ricky in a similar position to Bents first half header. He did everything right with a powerful header that looked destined for the corner. The difference was that while Bunn had lost his position, Stockdale stayed on his line and produced a most wonderful save low to his right. Ricky just needs a goal the rest of his game was superb."

Was that not Garrido that supplied the cross?

[quote user="a1canary"]

The one thing that concerns me is the way Hughton often says, "we did all we could to win, we put lots of crosses in the box"

Which almost sounds as if he expects all that need be done is put crosses in and goals will happen. Only with us, they don''t. Usually because we haven''t got enough players in the box to take the chances. I keep hearing that we were 4-3-3 but Goreham and Eadie said it was much more a 4-5-1 than a 4-3-3 with the wide two in the forward three spending most of their time on the touchlines and the midfield three not far forward enough either to get on the end of those crosses.

The commentary also said in the final 10 we were still standing off Fulham when out of posession. To me, that is not doing everything they can to win. That''s doing everything they can not to loose. There''s a subtle difference and at times, the latter is the better option, but it''s also CH all over and is the reason we still can''t score goals after a £13-14m investment in our strikeforce. That''s the bottom line. No goal return over and above last season after such an investment. And he has to carry the can for that damning statistic.

[/quote]

Happy New Year a1 buddy. Although you seem as miserable as last year so far.... [:P]

Now Rickyyyyyyyy does a tremendous service to those who can''t get to the games. If I''ve missed a game I''m always grateful to read his report. But there is a hole in the market for you. Those of us who saw the game obviously missed out on the wireless commentary and the associated interviews, canary call, Rob Butler''s gems and so on... So how about "a1''s report v Fulham FA Cup"? You know you want to.......

[;)]

I am miserable Nutty. And Happy New Year to you!

Hughton just makes me shake my head in resignation to so much of what he says. He only ever talks about goals conceded. If we lose one nil, he talks about the goal we conceded. Not the fact that yet again we have failed to SCORE or to outscore the opposition when they have very often only managed one goal against us (if we ''ignore'' the tankings!). 

GOALS Chris, we need to score GOALS!!! When we''re not having an off day or getting a stuffing, our defence is reasonable.  Although i appreciate it''s hard to argue even that given our GD! But we should be able, sometimes at least, to score 2 goals to the opposition''s 1 goal and be happy about that rather than have this pathalogical obsession with not conceding. As a an approach, as a philosophy, it''s viable and shared by many a manager. But for Norwich City today, it''s not working.

As for the Fulham game, are you suggesting Chris G and Eadie were wrong in their assessment that we were more 4-5-1 than 4-3-3? Or that we were standing off Fulham when they had the ball at the end of the game?

What also frustrates me and makes me miserable is that i think we''re actually quite close to being a really competent premier league team but we just can''t seem to get there, to really kick on and progress. It''s almost as if something is holding the players back. I really recognise what Ricardo describes because i''ve seen it before. Good posession, crisp accurate passing, good pressure - "pretty" football as he describes it. We are more than capable of that and i''ve seen it with my own eyes. But we''re not scroing and we''re not winning. And that eats away at the confidence of the players. Sooner or later they will get fed up with it and start leaving and it''s no surprise that it''s the attacking players who are running out of (Hoolahan) or have already run out of (Holt, Morison) patience with our form and want to leave.

This is why i''m miserable. And it''s miserable being miserable. I don''t want to be miserable. Make me not miserable!

As always a great report Ricardo and for once I too was entertained, personally I think the silky passing skills of the fantastic mr Fox were worth the admission price alone.

Not sure if he can play that well week in week out but I thought he was extraordinary.

Given that it was clear that nobody wanted a replay , not going 2 up front for the last 10 minutes and "going for it" shows the phrase is completely alien to the manager.

It was bizarre that despite being told we had a 4-3-3 formation that Elmander looked as though he was physically chained to the side line, Im not entirely sure Hughton knows what it means, pretending a 4-5-1 is 4-3-3 doesn''t make it more attacking you need the wide player in the box from time to time.

After more than 23,000 posts over 7.5 years I realise that it''s best to leave others to wallow in their own misery...

I don''t think Hughton''s comments are any different to other managers. But if you listen to them with an agenda you will be able to pick out parts to make your points. As for Chris goreham and Darren Eadie... I don''t know because I couldn''t get to the wireless on Saturday which is why we''d all benefit from the thread I suggested.

As for the game, I enjoyed it. I left the Premier League baggage with the wife and went with both my kids and four of my grandkids. They enjoyed it too. I''m seriously considering going to the replay.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

After more than 23,000 posts over 7.5 years I realise that it''s best to leave others to wallow in their own misery...

I don''t think Hughton''s comments are any different to other managers. But if you listen to them with an agenda you will be able to pick out parts to make your points. As for Chris goreham and Darren Eadie... I don''t know because I couldn''t get to the wireless on Saturday which is why we''d all benefit from the thread I suggested.

As for the game, I enjoyed it. I left the Premier League baggage with the wife and went with both my kids and four of my grandkids. They enjoyed it too. I''m seriously considering going to the replay.

[/quote]

You disappoint me Nutty.

We''ve always respected each other''s view point in those 7.5 years but now that we have more opposing views on the issue of the current manager you seem to think i have "an agenda" or that i''m looking for things. All i''ve done is describe how his style, his philosophy and his comments come across to me. I''m not "looking" for anything - if all he does is talk about clean sheets and conceding goals after a one nil defeat or a 0-0 draw, i can''t help that.

It may sound to you like they all say much the same thing and I know manager''s don''t make the greatest orators, but actually you get clues in what they say as to what their philosophy is and they are very different between managers. Just as the previous manager always spoke about the importance of posing a threat. He very rarely spoke about clean sheets and being solid - he was more interested in going forward and causing problems for the opposition. The fact that i prefer the latter as a footballing philosophy to the former  (and i''m sorry but i think the majority of fans are the same) is nothing to do with an agenda. I guess we could put up with the Italian style - rock solid at the back, and enough about them to nick a goal or two on the break or produce a wonder strike - if it worked.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Nice Report Ricardo but;

"Olsson showed how it should be done with a cross that found Ricky in a similar position to Bents first half header. He did everything right with a powerful header that looked destined for the corner. The difference was that while Bunn had lost his position, Stockdale stayed on his line and produced a most wonderful save low to his right. Ricky just needs a goal the rest of his game was superb."

Was that not Garrido that supplied the cross?[/quote]Sorry JG, I was sure it was Olsson at the time but you seem to be right with Garrido. I thought his passing ability complimented Snoddy and Fox superbly well. He could play in that midfield position IMO.I don''t take notes so apologies if I sometimes get the wrong player or events out of order. I aim to give those who cannot attend more of a feel of the game rather than strict accuracy in the details.I shall endeavour to improve.[:D]

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

You disappoint me Nutty.

We''ve always respected each other''s view point in those 7.5 years but now that we have more opposing views on the issue of the current manager you seem to think i have "an agenda" or that i''m looking for things. All i''ve done is describe how his style, his philosophy and his comments come across to me. I''m not "looking" for anything - if all he does is talk about clean sheets and conceding goals after a one nil defeat or a 0-0 draw, i can''t help that.

It may sound to you like they all say much the same thing and I know manager''s don''t make the greatest orators, but actually you get clues in what they say as to what their philosophy is and they are very different between managers. Just as the previous manager always spoke about the importance of posing a threat. He very rarely spoke about clean sheets and being solid - he was more interested in going forward and causing problems for the opposition. The fact that i prefer the latter as a footballing philosophy to the former  (and i''m sorry but i think the majority of fans are the same) is nothing to do with an agenda. I guess we could put up with the Italian style - rock solid at the back, and enough about them to nick a goal or two on the break or produce a wonder strike - if it worked.

[/quote]

Your misery shows no boundaries a1. I didn''t disrespect your views buddy I just said that you l;isten to Hughton''s pressy with an agenda. If I listened to them with a more positive agenda I''d take different things from them. You seem to have become very precious of late. I remember calling you gingerist and not getting this sort of reaction. Anyway, I kept asking you about this because I didn''t hear the radio coverage or the interview. I searched online and finally found it for myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAb8Q3Mo2sA

He talks about positive stuff and doesn''t even mention the goal we conceded...

But then I''m always mindful that he can only answer the questions asked.

Goreham and Eadie said we were 4-5-1 rather than 4-3-3, others will I''m sure concur if they heard the RN commentary. Although i concede the reception is a little fuzzy for me over here in the shadows of Ely Cathedral!

Like I said, I don''t enjoy feeling negative about our prospects, I''m really a glass full person normally! I was with you until the bitter end of Worthy''s final throes! I was wrong then and maybe I''m wrong now but I just feel like CH is very slowly squeezing the life and the hard won positivity out of the club.

Incidentally, did you listen to the Josh Murphy interview on the YouTube channel? Good question from CG to him:

"Does the manager give you free rein to go out and express yourself?"

Telling answer I thought!

And you wonder why people accuse you of having an agenda...

Seriously? When he says that the gaffer is always encouraging them to shoot at around the 2min 20 Mark, is that equally telling?

Extremely telling?! What is extremely telling about it? Help out, become a team player.

ricardo wrote the following post at 06/01/2014 2:06 PM:

"Sorry JG, I was sure it was Olsson at the time but you seem to be right with Garrido. I thought his passing ability complimented Snoddy and Fox superbly well. He could play in that midfield position IMO.

I don''t take notes so apologies if I sometimes get the wrong player or events out of order. I aim to give those who cannot attend more of a feel of the game rather than strict accuracy in the details.

I shall endeavour to improve."

Absolutely no need to apologise Ricardo, you are one of the posters I really admire on here and it''s the first time I have noticed a ''mistake''.

[quote user="a1canary"]Goreham and Eadie said we were 4-5-1 rather than 4-3-3, others will I''m sure concur if they heard the RN commentary. Although i concede the reception is a little fuzzy for me over here in the shadows of Ely Cathedral!

Like I said, I don''t enjoy feeling negative about our prospects, I''m really a glass full person normally! I was with you until the bitter end of Worthy''s final throes! I was wrong then and maybe I''m wrong now but I just feel like CH is very slowly squeezing the life and the hard won positivity out of the club.

Incidentally, did you listen to the Josh Murphy interview on the YouTube channel? Good question from CG to him:

"Does the manager give you free rein to go out and express yourself?"

Telling answer I thought![/quote]

You''re easily pleased a1. I would say that Grant, Roeder and Gunn would suggest you were wrong to jump ship. Finally getting Lambert is no justification. He is the exception not the rule.