Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Has Redmond gone backwards this season?

Id never seen Redmond play before we signed him, but know there was a lot of clamour on this board for us to sign him before we did, and a lot of excitement that we did. Pilks is one of my favourite players, so I was reluctant to accept a new left wing hero in pre-season. But he started in our first ome game of the season, which was the first time Id ever seen him play, and I was instantly wowed. His fluidity of movement, low centre of gravity, jinking runs and pace instantly made me excited about him. Then a few games later he scored the kind of goal Junior Hoilett used to torment us with, and after a season of bemoaning how we didnt have a player like that, I thought, finally!

After about 8 games however, Redmond seemed to lose his sparkle. Since then his shooting boots seem to have disappeared, his decision making at times is woeful, and his crossing inconsistent. Seems to fade in the second half. So...

Has he gone backward this season? Have we simply got used to his positives and begun to focus on his inadequacies? Has his natural youthful exuberance been curbed by defensive discipline or tactics?  Has his natural exuberance simply worn off? Or was it just he was keen to impress at his new club and now he has settled in a bit. Or is it simply a dip in form?

Im just not wowed by Redmond anymore. Is this because as a fan his novelty has worn off, or is it possible he has actually regressed?

Just to make it clear, I think he''s got incredible potential and I know he is only young and has a lot to learn, Im just wondering why when I watch him play Im not as excited as I used to be...

[quote user="Nicko"]He''s 19.[/quote]

I know, but that doesnt explain why my perception of him has changed. Im trying to establish if his performances have changed or his form dipped, or whether its a fan factor - ie his novelty has worn off. Him being 19 doesnt explain any of that

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

[quote user="Nicko"]He''s 19.[/quote]

I know, but that doesnt explain why my perception of him has changed. Im trying to establish if his performances have changed or his form dipped, or whether its a fan factor - ie his novelty has worn off. Him being 19 doesnt explain any of that

[/quote]He''s 19, he''ll be wanting to play every week, but even if he doesn''t know it he''ll be physically and mentally tired.  I doubt that Hughton will have wanted to play him as much as he has this season.

He needs a rest but we haven''t got any options to allow him to.

Stop slagging him off, he''s 19 and an amazing prospect

I also think people are becoming a little complacent about Redmond - he contiunes to drift past opposing defenders with greater skill than I''ve seen from almost any Norwich winger (even better than Hucks I would argue). He does it so often I feel fans now instantly expect him to go past at least one or two defenders everytime he has the ball.

I also noticed in the Palace game (not a game for wingers anyway) they were doubling up on him everytime he was given the ball and this was hardly the first game that had happened in. Redmond does need a rest, all young players will find their form fluctuating massively between games, and even within the same game for the very inexperienced players.

As others have said, I highly doubt Hughton expected to or wanted to use him this much this season - I remember him saying similar things about Redmond after the Southampton game as he is saying about Josh Murphy now. I''d also add that Redmond has drastically improved his defence work throughout the season - while he was noticeable for his exciting play at the beginning of the season he was also culprable for Everton''s 2nd goal in the game against Everton.

[quote user="Buh"]He needs a rest but we haven''t got any options to allow him to.

Stop slagging him off, he''s 19 and an amazing prospect[/quote]

I dont see how I was slagging him off as you put it. He''s a professional footballer, his performances are subject to scrutiny. I havent criticized him at all, and I entirely agree, I think he is an amazing prospect too. I was simply asking whether others feel also feel his performances are less exciting than they used to be and why that might be. This is not slagging anybody off

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

I also think people are becoming a little complacent about Redmond - he contiunes to drift past opposing defenders with greater skill than I''ve seen from almost any Norwich winger (even better than Hucks I would argue). He does it so often I feel fans now instantly expect him to go past at least one or two defenders everytime he has the ball.

I also noticed in the Palace game (not a game for wingers anyway) they were doubling up on him everytime he was given the ball and this was hardly the first game that had happened in. Redmond does need a rest, all young players will find their form fluctuating massively between games, and even within the same game for the very inexperienced players.

As others have said, I highly doubt Hughton expected to or wanted to use him this much this season - I remember him saying similar things about Redmond after the Southampton game as he is saying about Josh Murphy now. I''d also add that Redmond has drastically improved his defence work throughout the season - while he was noticeable for his exciting play at the beginning of the season he was also culprable for Everton''s 2nd goal in the game against Everton.

[/quote]

A number of very good points. Id meant to ask in my original post whether it was also a case of his freedom being curbed by opposition tactics as he became more known as a danger man. Certainly in the past Hucks was double marked as there was a sense of stop Hucks stop Norwich, thats why Ashton was such a revelation when he came as it freed Huckerby up a little too.

Redmonds defensive work has definitely improved, as you say he was definitely at fault for a number of goals we conceded due to not tracking back or not doing it effectively, and that has definitely improved, but is this defensive discipline the reason behind his loss of sparkle ie he cant just go and do what he wants anymore

I still think he''s exciting to watch. His acceleration and speed over the first few yards is very impressive.

Obviously his end product needs some work. Especially his shooting, it''s high and wide far too often. Same with Olsson.

Olsson should probably be doing a bit better given that he''s a bit older and is more experienced but Redmond has plenty of time on his side to sharpen things up.

And you never see Redmond give it up. If nothing has come off for him he''ll just pick the ball up again and have another go. He always tries to make something happen.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

This!

[quote user="GJP"]

I still think he''s exciting to watch. His acceleration and speed over the first few yards is very impressive.

Obviously his end product needs some work. Especially his shooting, it''s high and wide far too often. Same with Olsson.

Olsson should probably be doing a bit better given that he''s a bit older and is more experienced but Redmond has plenty of time on his side to sharpen things up.

And you never see Redmond give it up. If nothing has come off for him he''ll just pick the ball up again and have another go. He always tries to make something happen.

[/quote]

You think Olsson should be doing better? He''s my POTS so far

He''s a decent delivery away from being a amazing player. From the start this season his delivery and final decision making has been poor, nothing as changed. At 19 he has plenty of time to improve the poor bits of his game to go with the good sides.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Definitely should be doing better.

I think he''s had a good start to his Norwich career but he''s too wasteful.

Might be in my top 5 or 6 players this season but nowhere close to POTS.

[quote user="Buh"]He needs a rest but we haven''t got any options to allow him to.

Stop slagging him off, he''s 19 and an amazing prospect[/quote]

^^^This.He would have been used more sparingly had it not been for injuries.

It''s not just a case of his end product needing to improve though. The best he can do when running at full pace is hit areas with his crosses. The end product is as much to do with the strikers anticipation as it is to do with his ball into the box. We are wayyyy too impatient.

While his exuberence and brilliance may have waned a little (partly due to us being used to him now?) I think he has really improved.       He continues to scare the opposition when he has the ball but has added a much stronger defensive capability.   

At 19 he is always going to be inconsistent in he delivery and choices but even here he continues to create chances mopr frequently than any other player in the squad -thats what he was bought for and he is delivering in spades.

I think Josh M also has the capability to develop into this type of player - if we can hold onto both we have a very excitig future in prospect.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="The Great Mass Debater"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Definitely should be doing better.

I think he''s had a good start to his Norwich career but he''s too wasteful.

Might be in my top 5 or 6 players this season but nowhere close to POTS.

[/quote]

Funny how we all see things differently isnt it, for example Howson wasnt in my top 3 for POTS. I guess a difference of opinion is what makes this sport so interesting, and why different managers do different things. I think Olsson has been outstanding. The odd bad decision but only one bad game (Newcastle, and I suspect thats because Cabaye''s challenge unnerved him)

He may or may not have gone backwards, but I think that he certainly has not gone forwards.

From the start he had the pace and control to beat most left backs, and also throw fear into opposing defences. He is exciting to watch in this respect.His shooting has really not improved at all over half a season, with half his shots off target.

Do they not work on this?

As to his crossing, I think that the same applies. He has several each match, as we choose to attack down the wings, but it is hard to think of an excellent cross. Murphy is younger and less experienced, and he probably did not do much better - even the one that led to the goal was very low.

Redmond and the Murphy brothers have enormous potential, and it may be that we have to be patient, in the hope that one or two will fulfil their potential. Improvement is intermittent, with periods of standing still, or even tregression.