Sign in to follow this  
JF

Becchio. Nice work if you can get it!

According to this article no championship clubs can afford his wages. 30k a week to sit on the bench.

http://www.clubcall.com/norwich-city/canaries-struggling-to-offload-striker-1692007.html?

Yeah I do. He deserved a chance, but has suffered football wise as a result of being a complete panic buy by Chris Hughton and the board.

If you don''t believe that - have a read of Neil Warnock''s book. He gives a very detailed account of that deal.

Not his fault that Hughton is treating him like crap (from a playing opportunity perspective at least), and forcing him onto the bench instead of actually playing for his money.Let''s also not forget that Becchio WANTED to return to Leeds and our club prevented the move...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Not his fault that Hughton is treating him like crap (from a playing opportunity perspective at least), and forcing him onto the bench instead of actually playing for his money.Let''s also not forget that Becchio WANTED to return to Leeds and our club prevented the move...[/quote]You know that last bit for a fact?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Not his fault that Hughton is treating him like crap (from a playing opportunity perspective at least), and forcing him onto the bench instead of actually playing for his money.Let''s also not forget that Becchio WANTED to return to Leeds and our club prevented the move...[/quote]They couldn''t afford to pay the loan fee and wages and thought we might let them have him on the cheap

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]Yeah I do. He deserved a chance, but has suffered football wise as a result of being a complete panic buy by Chris Hughton and the board.

If you don''t believe that - have a read of Neil Warnock''s book. He gives a very detailed account of that deal.[/quote]Yes I am aware of the account.And sorry, I really, really can''t feel sorry for him picking up 30k a week to warm the bench.If playing was that important to him he''d take the paycut and go elsewhere.The one time I saw him play in the cup, he was frankly awful.(Cue circular argument about how he was never given a chance to prove himself etc etc etc)

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Know it as a fact / making it up.... All comes in the same tin...[/quote]Along with your circular arguments, apparent inability to read and comprehend even simple premises, and resorting to abuse when your house of cards falls down...Now do you intend to follow each thread I post on trying to have a pop or do you actually have anything useful to add???

I don''t get all this in training stuff it is what you do on the pitch , over the years their have been many players who didn''t do it on the training piotch but came alive matchdays , give him a chance we are hardly scoring for fun are we !

And there we go.A player who isn''t getting a game is immediately the answer to our problems.So how is a manager meant to pick a team, if not based on what he sees in training?

[quote user="norfolkngood"]

I don''t get all this in training stuff it is what you do on the pitch , over the years their have been many players who didn''t do it on the training piotch but came alive matchdays , give him a chance we are hardly scoring for fun are we !

[/quote]

Holt being a very recent example. As for it being nice work, if he was happy to sit and pick up his wages I don''t think he would have shot his mouth off to the press. I don''t think he''s probably up to this level, but any signing should have at least had a chance to show. I for one hope he can move so we can draw a line under a piece of incompetent management.

[quote user="morty"]And yet people still feel sorry for him....[/quote]I do. Can''t be easy being treated like an outcast for no reason. He''s been put in an impossible situation through no fault of his own & his career may never recover from the way he''s been treated.

ledley king morty ? couldn''t train but still played fantastic on a matchday or would you not of played him because he didn''t train as well as others ?

"A section in the chapter devoted to Warnock’s ill-fated 13-and-a-half

month spell at Leeds also centred on the acrimonious build-up to

top-scorer Becchio’s exit to Norwich City early in the new year, with

the veteran boss slamming the commitment of the Argentine after he made

it plain he wanted to leave in December.

Warnock said: “I know

(knew) he’s as good as telling me if I don’t let him go, I might not get

the best out of him in the rest of the season.

“The issue came to a head when we lost at Barnsley in January and to my eyes, Becchio never broke sweat.

“I

knew after that I had to do something about Becchio, so I spoke to his

agent on the Monday and told him how disappointed I was at Becchio’s

attitude.

“In reply, the agent let slip Becchio had rung him an

hour before the game. I was gobsmacked, but I didn’t let on, just asked

him a question that ensured he confirmed it.

“I then asked Becchio

if his mind was on the (Barnsley) game, he said it was, but when I

pointed out he’d been on the phone to his agent an hour before kick-off,

he had suddenly nothing to say. He couldn’t deny it.”

He was on £12k a week at Leeds and Bates claimed that they offered to double his wages to stay.

It is safe to assume that he wouldn''t turn down £24k to play for us for less. £30k a week is believable.

Unfortunately this contradicts the popular view that he was a convenient straight swap with Morison and always intended to be 4th choice. What kind of prudent smaller Premier League club with one of the lowest wage budgets in the league would purposely give a 4th choice striker that sort of money.

It supports the view that Becchio was a Hughton panic buy and a big mistake, a costly one at that. I hope that it goes down as a big black mark against Hughton in McNally''s book.

£30k is a Premier League wage whatever way you look at it, that''s twice the current wage of Ravel Morison.

£1.5m a year to sit on a bench for a manager who doesn''t rate you.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="morty"]And yet people still feel sorry for him....[/quote]I do. Can''t be easy being treated like an outcast for no reason. He''s been put in an impossible situation through no fault of his own & his career may never recover from the way he''s been treated.[/quote]And of course this is nothing whatsoever to do with your massive anti Hughton bias?How has he been treated like an outcast for no reason? Could there actually be a reason, or would you just rather believe an anti Hughton, made up conspiracy theory.If he was good enough, he''d be playing.

[quote user="City1st"]"A section in the chapter devoted to Warnock’s ill-fated 13-and-a-half

month spell at Leeds also centred on the acrimonious build-up to

top-scorer Becchio’s exit to Norwich City early in the new year, with

the veteran boss slamming the commitment of the Argentine after he made

it plain he wanted to leave in December.

Warnock said: “I know

(knew) he’s as good as telling me if I don’t let him go, I might not get

the best out of him in the rest of the season.

“The issue came to a head when we lost at Barnsley in January and to my eyes, Becchio never broke sweat.

“I

knew after that I had to do something about Becchio, so I spoke to his

agent on the Monday and told him how disappointed I was at Becchio’s

attitude.

“In reply, the agent let slip Becchio had rung him an

hour before the game. I was gobsmacked, but I didn’t let on, just asked

him a question that ensured he confirmed it.

“I then asked Becchio

if his mind was on the (Barnsley) game, he said it was, but when I

pointed out he’d been on the phone to his agent an hour before kick-off,

he had suddenly nothing to say. He couldn’t deny it.”

[/quote]Says a lot about his attitude.

“The issue came to a head when we lost at Barnsley in January and to my eyes, Becchio never broke sweat. knew after that I had to do something about Becchio"

And that is probably why Warnock found himself out of a job. His answer to a player who was sometimes lazy and uninterested was to swap him for a player who is always lazy and uninterested?

I read a comments section of a Becchio article recently in which Leeds fans were agreeing with the sentiment that swapping Becchio with Morison was their worst bit of business since the day that they sold Cantona for £1.2m to Manchester United.

[quote user="morty"]If he was good enough, he''d be playing.[/quote]Funny how when I say the same about Hoolahan I get shouted down...

ledley king morty ? couldn''t train but still played fantastic on a matchday or would you not of played him because he didn''t train as well as others ?

[/quote]Seriously?Totally different situation, Ledleys inability to train was a medical issue.Not a very good comparison, is it?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="morty"]If he was good enough, he''d be playing.[/quote]Funny how when I say the same about Hoolahan I get shouted down...[/quote]Eh?Whats that got to do with anything?

"Totally different situation, Ledleys inability to train was a medical issue"

I may have the wrong end of the stick Morty, but are you implying in a roundabout way that Becchio is a poor trainer with a bad attitude?

I suspect I wouldn''t be alone in interpreting your posts on here to be along those lines. Perhaps you were in Africa when Hughton said that Becchio is a good trainer, has a good attitude and is good to have around the place?

Just yesterday, or maybe the day before, you were criticising those who think they know more than a Premier League manager. Wouldn''t you usually trust Hughton''s voice on this?

Chris Hughton:

“These are tough decisions you make as a manager. For some players it works out well, some it doesn’t. As far as I am concerned that is the end of the matter and we move on. Luciano is a very good individual and he trains well".

That statement, just five weeks ago, seems to be at odds with your belief that Becchio has a bad attitude or can''t be bothered to put the effort in.

morty didn''t say anything about training I did , I stated that you have to judge some players on the matchday not training I used ledley king as someone who didn''t train but was fantastic match day I know it is medical reasons but put it another way someone could be best trainer but freeze matchday due to pressure you have to give people a fair chance !

[quote user="Le Juge"]"Totally different situation, Ledleys inability to train was a medical issue"

I may have the wrong end of the stick Morty, but are you implying in a roundabout way that Becchio is a poor trainer with a bad attitude?

I suspect I wouldn''t be alone in interpreting your posts on here to be along those lines. Perhaps you were in Africa when Hughton said that Becchio is a good trainer, has a good attitude and is good to have around the place?

Just yesterday, or maybe the day before, you were criticising those who think they know more than a Premier League manager. Wouldn''t you usually trust Hughton''s voice on this?[/quote]I am implying that he''s not good enough.Could this be a possible answer, as opposed to all the conspiracy theories.And the post above about how he behaved during hi9s move from Leeds does kinda say "bad attitude" wouldn''t you agree?

morty didn''t say anything about training I did , I stated that you have to judge some players on the matchday not training I used ledley king as someone who didn''t train but was fantastic match day I know it is medical reasons but put it another way someone could be best trainer but freeze matchday due to pressure you have to give people a fair chance !

[/quote]Did you see Becchio''s appearance in the cup game?

[quote user="Le Juge"]Chris Hughton:

“These are tough decisions you make as a manager. For some players it works out well, some it doesn’t. As far as I am concerned that is the end of the matter and we move on. Luciano is a very good individual and he trains well".

That statement, just five weeks ago, seems to be at odds with your belief that Becchio has a bad attitude or can''t be bothered to put the effort in.[/quote]See my previous answer.

If Unlucky Luciano is on £30k per week then I''m a Dutchman.

That would mean our wages bill is now in excess of £50m as he will not likely be the biggest earner by far.

Perhaps it is then.

Signed,

Dicky Van Catswinkel