Sign in to follow this  
YellowNets1901

Hoolahan wants out (according to Talksport)

I forget the blokes name, but I''ve just been driving home listening to the Talksport Transfer Centre or Tavern, whatever they call it.

The bloke that Danny Kelly and Micky Quinn had on air with them said that Villa are yet to make an official bid, but will in the next day or so. In the meantime, they are preparing a contract offer for Wes, who is "desperate" for the deal to happen so he can play under Paul Lambert again.

Don''t blame Wes really, if this is true. I''d rather play for Lambert than Hughton.

Has Hughton ever referred to him as ''unplayable''? If no then not good enough Chris! I suppose it all depends on whether he feels he will play more and be valued more at Villa. Think Hughton would happily let Wes go as he did with Holt, whether Wes would be utilised more at Villa Im not so sure

[quote user=" wolfswinkel"]Lambert knows how to use wes and get the best out of him so for that reason alone I can see wes point and can see him going :([/quote]

Lambert was supposed to be a fantastic manager, but look at him now - struggling and clutching at straws. 

The way i see it, i think he probably does want out and decided that not turning up on Saturday would get the ball rolling (as advised by his agent no doubt).

Thing is, in January at least, the clubs hold the power, not the players. We can just sit tight and say no to any offers (think Celtic and Hooper) and the players can not realistically refuse to play in protest because if they are going to have to wait until the summer, they will need to keep playing and keep in form to ensure the move in the summer - they just have to knuckle down and demonstrat that they are good pros. Again, there are countless examples of this.

We absolutely do NOT have to let him go and we should not unless we''re offered silly money. And certainly not to Villa - a direct rival. And certainly not to Lambert who we know McNally and much more Bowkett are the last people Lambert should be asking a favour from.

I''d be shocked to see us roll over and sell to Villa but am starting to think it will happen. I can completely understand why Wes would want to play for Lambert again.

Lambert clearly rates Wes and in Hughton''s interview after the game last Saturday, he didn''t categorically state that Wes wasn''t for sale.

If Hughton feels we can afford to sell Wes to a relegation rival then more fool him.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user=" wolfswinkel"]Lambert knows how to use wes and get the best out of him so for that reason alone I can see wes point and can see him going :([/quote]

Lambert was supposed to be a fantastic manager, but look at him now - struggling and clutching at straws. 

[/quote]

Blimey. Struggling, clutching at straws and 4 places above us in the table. I assume we are struggling and clutching at straws too. I was rather hoping that we were not.

Lambert also mentioned that this type of player doesn''t come cheap, so £1.5m is nowhere near enough. Maybe Lambert doesn''t rate him THAT highly? Wes is also contracted to us until 2015 so that would need to be paid off too.

No deal unless we are offered in excess of £3m

The key to our success of recent years was Hoolahan linking with Holt. And there have been strong signs recently that he can link well with Hooper too.

I''d prefer him not to forge a strong link with Benteke and help him rediscover his form.

Wes is one of our top players. It''s just a shame the manager doesn''t play him anywhere near enough, hence why he probably wants to leave.

For me, you''ve got to be looking at £3.5/4m. Even if it''s just to put Villa off.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Think Hughton would happily let Wes go as he did with Holt,[/quote]

Well if Hughton spends upwards of 8m on a replacement for Wes people may view it differently.

However the way I see it even then Wes would be worth more than a couple of mil to us. But in that scenario it would be up to Wes.

Hughton felt we didn''t need Holt - we miss a leader - we miss Holt.

He may feel we can do without Wes - we would miss Wes badly, plus we would be selling him to a direct relegation rival - this would be terrible business and also, we don''t need the money really.

Unfortunately the pull of working for the Messiah who worked brilliantly with Wes will be to much for him to resist and we will lose him i fear.

We need to get the maximum and January is always inflated Lerner is loaded I would look for £6 Million minimum. Another example of how hapless cant manage players after the likes of Holt, Vaughan etc have all said they were glad to get out.

The sooner this prize idiot is no longer managing our club the better

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]Lambert also mentioned that this type of player doesn''t come cheap, so £1.5m is nowhere near enough. Maybe Lambert doesn''t rate him THAT highly? Wes is also contracted to us until 2015 so that would need to be paid off too. No deal unless we are offered in excess of £3m[/quote]

Lambert didn''t rate him that highly when he sent him and Doherty to train with the kids.

Since Lambert took charge at Villa, he''s spent the entire time getting their team play in a modern 4-3-3 formation, now suddenly he''s going to ditch all that just to shoehorn Wes in there is he???

That''s a fair point but hoolahan can''t be happy here now with the treatment he''s had

[quote user="a1canary"]

The way i see it, i think he probably does want out and decided that not turning up on Saturday would get the ball rolling (as advised by his agent no doubt).

[/quote]

Probably I am having a senior moment but have I missed something here ? [*-)]

This is a difficult one.

From Wes'' point of view, you can understand why he may want the move. He wants to be playing week in, week out - something that seemingly he cannot be promised under Hughton, given the style he prefers.

From a Norwich point of view, it would be naive to think that Hoolahan is the answer to all our problems. He has his limitations, just the same as everyone else. For one, he doesn''t score enough goals or get enough assists for a "number 10" - and i''m not just looking at this season. He also sometimes goes missing in games (not literally), and if we''re not playing well, he can be a needless luxury. THAT SAID, Wes is a unique player. He offers something that nobody else in our team can offer. Whilst i''d love an upgrade on Wes - they are hard to find, and costly - as Mr Lambert said.

While in reality Hoolahan probably is only worth £2million - he is worth more to us. How could we replace him for that? When you take into account the fact that the ''Board'' despise Lambert, why would we sell him unless they were willing to pay well over the odds?!

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="a1canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

As in he wasn''t at the Fulham game when most of the senior players who weren''t playing were watching the game.

I know that''s reading something in to it but one thing you can be certain of is that Hoolahan/his agent would know full well that not being there would set tongues wagging. The fact that he reported a hitherto unknown injury on Friday doesn''t do a lot to disuade one from this theory!

[quote user="wolfswinkel "]Lambert was supposed to be a fantastic manager, but look at him now - struggling and clutching at straws. That''s a fair point but hoolahan can''t be happy here now with the treatment he''s had[/quote]

Has his treatment really been that bad? He played more games last season than he did under Lambert in Norwich''s first season back in the Premier Leauge - whilst he isn''t first choice now I can''t imagine he''d be starting every game for Villa either. At best he would be a stop gap until the summer when they would look to spend big on a ''number 10''.

Last summer Villa tried to buy Hiroshi Kiyotake for £8m - I can''t imagine that Lambert sees Hoolahan as a equal replacement.

For me this is a 2+2 story - Lambert says he wants a Number 10 and everyone looks to his former players for who that might be. It smacks of the Holt speculation from last year, everyone assumed that Lambert would come in for Grant, but he never did. There have also been rumours about him signing Howson, Bennett both E and R, Ruddy and Russell Martin.

Few things.1. I doubt our board will be in a rush to do business with Villa, and selling a good player (that we don''t need to sell) to a possible relegation rival is never going to be smart.2. Why have we come to the conclusion that Wes is unhappy about starting every game (bear in mind his age)? He has been around football long enough to know that very few players are guaranteed a game every week. Or are we starting another "Hughton mismanages player" conspiracy theory?

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="a1canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

As in he wasn''t at the Fulham game when most of the senior players who weren''t playing were watching the game.

I know that''s reading something in to it but one thing you can be certain of is that Hoolahan/his agent would know full well that not being there would set tongues wagging. The fact that he reported a hitherto unknown injury on Friday doesn''t do a lot to disuade one from this theory!

[/quote]

...also, unless he has broken his leg or something, why does he need to have treatment on an injury at 3pm on a Saturday - seems awfully convenient! No, he wants out, i''m pretty certain of that. But as i''ve said, we needn''t do anything, and in fact it might work in our favour. I think a lot of it has to do with the World Cup which he''s desperate to play in. If we hold on to him and then let him play after January, he''s going to have to play out of his skin to book his place.

As much as I anti hughton let''s look at this objectively.

1) Wes will probably get more game time. He needs this as its pivotal for his Ireland chances. O''neill rates him and he will want to feature.

2) financially it will "set him up". 31, last "big" move.

3) he played his best football under lambert, why wouldn''t he want to play for him again. It will massively influence point 1.

4) he hasn''t featured much here.

5) he probably doesn''t enjoy it as much as he previously has. Everybody wants a sense of enjoyment in the job that they do.

I really rate Wes and if used right, can be a good PL player. But players come and go. I would only let him go once we have a better replacement in.

If he goes he will always be remembered as one if the most influential players we have had.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Lambert was supposed to be a fantastic manager, but look at him now - struggling and clutching at straws.  [/quote]Would Hughton have got us out of League 1, out of the Championship & survival the PL in 3 seasons?I doubt it.

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="a1canary"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="a1canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

...also, unless he has broken his leg or something, why does he need to have treatment on an injury at 3pm on a Saturday - seems awfully convenient! No, he wants out, i''m pretty certain of that. But as i''ve said, we needn''t do anything, and in fact it might work in our favour. I think a lot of it has to do with the World Cup which he''s desperate to play in. If we hold on to him and then let him play after January, he''s going to have to play out of his skin to book his place.

[/quote]

He''ll also have to get someone to forge him a new passport.

Idol speculation about where a player was on a match day doesn''t help anyone - there are many reasons why he might not be required to come to the game and putting 2 and 2 together to make 100 is as foolish as it is naive.

If Hughton gave the green light for Wes to leave, it would be a brave move considering Wes is a fan favourite (with many) and Hughton quote clearly is not (with many).

The board wouldn''t want to deal with Lambert and Villa, but what happens if Hughton says ''Get the best price you can. I don''t mind losing him''. The board have to then try and sell him, right?

[quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

Would that be the same Lambert at Villa who have 3 more points than us, who sit 4 places above us in the Premiership, who have scored more and concerned less than us and who also have a goal difference which is 10 better than ours ?