Sign in to follow this  
pete

Its time RVW and Hooper are played together

We must now see if the two can play together as joint strikers. A problem could well be getting the ball to either of them but wingers must be encouraged to get accurate balls into the box. Redmond needs to act as a winger if he cannot Josh seemed capable. Presume Snoddy will be a shoe in on the right not sure we could not do better.

Either of them would stand bit more chance if we passed the ball to them occasionally rather than to the defense + keepers.

Definitely agree they need to play together, but the difficulty is how the midfield lines up. Two wide players are a must, and so is Fer in the centre – which leaves just one place up for grabs. Playing that formation at Everton could get us overrun in midfield, and asks a lot of the nominal ''holding'' midfielder, whether that''s Fer, Johnson or Howson.

I think next time out, we don''t have the midfield to play that formation. It''ll be Fer, Johnson and Elmander as the trio and Hooper up front. Snoddy and Redderz on the wings.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]Maybe not away to Everton, but our FA Cup reply away to Fulham would be an ideal opportunity to try something different.  [/quote]

To be honest I''d rather he rested as many players as possible for the FA Cup replay, as Hull the following Saturday could be absolutely pivotal to our season. Might as well play Becchio, Hoolahan, both the Murphy twins, Fox, Garrido... although I wouldn''t go as far to say I''d prefer us to lose, I certainly wouldn''t be disappointed if we got knocked out.

Why do people still cling to the notion that you need to play two strikers, and if you don''t its somehow negative?

It''s not so much that – 4-5-1 isn''t in itself a defensive formation. It''s just that when you spend a combined £14m on two quality strikers and then alternate them in an isolated role with a lack of support from the midfield, doesn''t it make you wonder what they might achieve if they played together? I just think we are too rigid in our formation and tactics. Everton away we''d be better off with three in central midfield I reckon, but for Hull at home, if we start with only one up front and both Hooper and RVW are fit that just smacks of a lack of adventure IMO, especially after we failed to score against them with an extra man in August.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"]It''s not so much that – 4-5-1 isn''t in itself a defensive formation. It''s just that when you spend a combined £14m on two quality strikers and then alternate them in an isolated role with a lack of support from the midfield, doesn''t it make you wonder what they might achieve if they played together? I just think we are too rigid in our formation and tactics. Everton away we''d be better off with three in central midfield I reckon, but for Hull at home, if we start with only one up front and both Hooper and RVW are fit that just smacks of a lack of adventure IMO, especially after we failed to score against them with an extra man in August.[/quote]I think we are more missing quality wing play than a second striker.It would be a different story with Bennet and Pilkington, in my opinion.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Feedthewolf"]It''s not so much that – 4-5-1 isn''t in itself a defensive formation. It''s just that when you spend a combined £14m on two quality strikers and then alternate them in an isolated role with a lack of support from the midfield, doesn''t it make you wonder what they might achieve if they played together? I just think we are too rigid in our formation and tactics. Everton away we''d be better off with three in central midfield I reckon, but for Hull at home, if we start with only one up front and both Hooper and RVW are fit that just smacks of a lack of adventure IMO, especially after we failed to score against them with an extra man in August.[/quote]I think we are more missing quality wing play than a second striker.It would be a different story with Bennet and Pilkington, in my opinion.[/quote]

Well Snodgrass has been way below his best this season, and Redmond is fast and skilful but always cuts inside rather than delivering good crosses.

I just think that the current formation is so rigid and has yielded so many substandard performances, we should at least try playing the pair of them together. I know there have been some good performances as well and our midfield has been wracked with injuries, but doesn''t the lack of versatility in our tactics and formations worry you a little bit?

Nice to see somebody suggest Wes plays. After all the posts on here in the week I got the impression everyone wanted him to play. Seems it''s only the littleyellowbirdie across both threads today...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Nice to see somebody suggest Wes plays. After all the posts on here in the week I got the impression everyone wanted him to play. Seems it''s only the littleyellowbirdie across both threads today...

[/quote]

I agree. Personally I think if we play one behind a lone striker it should be Hoolahan - I also don''t see the point of starting with Elmander for the moment. If you essentially want to go with two forwards, (whether it''s one behind the other or whatever) I see no good reason not to start Van Wolfswinkel and Hooper - whilst if want the option of the extra man in the middle Hoolahan adds more creativity and is a better midfield presence. The other potential option for me would be a midfield trio of say Howson, Fer and Tettey for extra solidity in a tricky away game and if they were all fit.

In terms of the Everton game, I am in two minds about what I would do. I think from the people we have available the sensible option is Hoolahan behind a front one and that packs the midfield a bit. However to win the game that way we will probably have to keep a clean sheet, which on previous form seems unlikely so. We seem to concede more when we actually go away with the aim of keeping it tight. As a result part of me thinks we should just put the cat among the pigeons and start with both Hooper and Van Wolfswinkel. In a way we have nothing to lose as if this game goes to form we should lose and doing something to potentially disrupt Everton a bit more might increase our chances of getting a result. I think see both options working or not.

I think I''d start with ...

Ruddy

Martin Bassong Bennett Olsson

Snodgrass Fer Johnson Redmond

Hoolahan

RVW

Fox played well so more people are clamouring for him to play but I wouldn''t leave out Fer or Johnson to include him. Whittaker/Martin was a difficult choice but if Baines is fit I think Martin is the better option. RVW/Hooper is also difficult but RVW scored against Everton in the corresponding fixture.

At least they would have someone to chat with while waiting aroundmaybe they could take it in turns to fetch the ball when Redmond skys it into the stand ... again