Sign in to follow this  
NWC

Is Ben Foster really better than Ruddy?

JR thinks that Foster is England''s number 2http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJyhnmRS4iwI thought that before his injury last season, Ruddy was a far better keeper than Foster.

[quote user="NWC"]JR thinks that Foster is England''s number 2http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJyhnmRS4iwI thought that before his injury last season, Ruddy was a far better keeper than Foster. [/quote]

\\\\\i think you hit the nail on the head ...Before his injury ........since his injury he looks a little less confident ..and I am probably in the minority , but have thought that Bunn should be given another go ,,, after all , he did nothing wrong while acting as stand in last year

Whilst Bunn was great for us, I have to disagree that he should be given a go in front of JR as he is shorter. The oppo know that shooting from distance aiming for the corners he can be beaten.

Apart from that he is a great shot stopper.

[quote user="SeattleCanary"]Whilst Bunn was great for us, I have to disagree that he should be given a go in front of JR as he is shorter. The oppo know that shooting from distance aiming for the corners he can be beaten.

Apart from that he is a great shot stopper.[/quote]

Last year , before the injury , I would have agreed with you ...but I sit almost behind the goal at CR,, 4 rows back , so for half the game get a real close up look at Ruddy''s performances . He seems to have lost confidence, his positioning is poor at times , and he flaps at crosses, his decision making is suffering . . For example ,,,had he stayed closer to his line against Man U....Welbeck would have had an almost impossible chance of scoring .

My opinion from my observation .I used to feel totally confident in big John ...unfortunately I no longer do .

Foster has to be one of the most overrated keepers I''ve seen. Constantly makes mistakes, flaps when coming for the ball, yet because he makes a few flamboyant highlight reel saves he''s regarded as one of England''s finest.

I''d take Hart, Ruddy, Forster, Butland and Green over him anyday

[quote user="Olly"]Foster has to be one of the most overrated keepers I''ve seen. Constantly makes mistakes, flaps when coming for the ball, yet because he makes a few flamboyant highlight reel saves he''s regarded as one of England''s finest.

I''d take Hart, Ruddy, Forster, Butland and Green over him anyday[/quote]depends on who his agent ismakes quite a difference when it comes to internationals

Going to the World Cup, if all fit it''s gonna be Hart, (England''s No1) Foster (England manager''s golden boy) and unfortunately it''s a tough choice between  Ruddy & Forster.

[quote user="Olly"]Foster has to be one of the most overrated keepers I''ve seen. Constantly makes mistakes, flaps when coming for the ball, yet because he makes a few flamboyant highlight reel saves he''s regarded as one of England''s finest.

I''d take Hart, Ruddy, Forster, Butland and Green over him anyday[/quote]Agree with this. I think i''d still have him over Butland and Green though.

I''d rather have Ruddy ability wise but beside that Foster turned his back on England so shouldn''t be considered again.

Many players dream of playing for their country and yet Foster decided he didn''t want to be involved. He''s had his chance, he shouldn''t be given another.

Regardless of who the manager is you don''t turn your back on your team mates and the fans.

But, while I prefer Hodgson to other recent England managers, it''s pretty obvious he leans towards selecting players of certain clubs regardless of their ability or form.

"Many players dream of playing for their country"and many dread selection that''s why there are so many call offs through ''injury''the reality is that the games are mostly meaningless mickey mouse football geared to propping up useless FA''s,  and allowing agents to bump up the price and wages of their players by achieving international status - check how many City players were given the one game ... for that purposeI think you would be very surprised at how they are viewed by players - certainly not as fans do

[quote user="City1st"]"Many players dream of playing for their country"and many dread selection that''s why there are so many call offs through ''injury''the reality is that the games are mostly meaningless mickey mouse football geared to propping up useless FA''s,  and allowing agents to bump up the price and wages of their players by achieving international status - check how many City players were given the one game ... for that purposeI think you would be very surprised at how they are viewed by players - certainly not as fans do

[/quote]I must have missed your tenure as a prospective international footballer

IMO, Foster should not be anywhere near the England squad - he, like Carragher, retired from the set up after throwing his toys out of the pram for not getting picked or being first choice - because he wasn''t, and still isnt good enough.

I think the England three should be Hart, Forster, Ruddy

The difference with those two scenarios Muffles was that ridiculous people were getting picked ahead of Carragher and he had had enough. He didn''t throw his toys out of the pram, he just said that his club football was more important.

If that was a Norwich lad saying that Norwich was more important to him than traveling to sit on a bench when he could be keeping himself in prime condition for Norwich, we''d all love him for it.

He was then essentially begged to come back from retirement by Capello and the FA. Again he had simply said if England ever needed him due to injuries, he''d be there for them.

Ben Foster was similar in that he wanted to prolong his club career but he was not asked to come back because he was one of the best players in his position and due to injuries England didn''t have any cover. He made himself available for selection again for some friendlies when there were much better players about, fit, and active but Foster got the nod ahead of them.