Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Jermaine Defoe

Not sure that I would want him here (nor sure why really) but I see that Hull are trying to sneak in before he signs for toronto; 

But I was more intrigued by a comment that the toronto deal included a loan deal back with a prem club for the rest of the season;   anyone aware of who that would be with?   My immediate reaction was wet sham but would think he would aim higher.    Should we? 

I still think Defoe is more than good enough at this level, he simply needs the supply and style of play to facilitate this, something that the 4-3-3 under AVB was never going to offer.I just don''t see how he''d fit into the way Hughton sets us up, and he''d probably end up as just being an expensive benchwarmer to replace Becchio...Good player for the right team, and at the minute that''s not us (I don''t think it''s Hull either but there you go)...

I would love him here.

And I think they were actually on about loaning him straight back to Spurs.

The problem with strikers like Defoe (who is a brilliant finisher) is that they need another striker to play alongside. As most teams play with 5 in midfield, it''s hard to accommodate them. Similar with Hooper.

I''m actually shocked he is moving out of the EPL regardless of the loan back for the rest of the season, and I would love to see a front player of his proven quality at our club. If Hull Tigers pull it off then the best of luck to them, they would have signed a player who would contribute a lot to ensuring they stay up. Likewise if West Ham get him on loan, and I dont see them as such a small club for him to sign for to be honest......  

Jermaine Defoe always sounds like an instruction in French, I probably think this because I once was told we were going to buy a player called Defence Defumer or it could be that dodgy French that Del Boy used to use.

[quote user="morty"]Of course he would never score though, cos of hughtons nevative tactics......[/quote]Oh give over Morty.Do you actually think that Defoe suits either a target man role, or even playing in the hole (a''la Wes)???Players like Defoe are finding it harder and harder to get clubs that can/will accomodate the way they play (much like Owen struggled with this problem in the later parts of his career).The game has changed, and if we were going to play with two upfront (or at least 1 target man with Defoe just off him) then it could work, otherwise it''s simply not going to happen.It didn''t work under AVB either and I''m not going to claim that he was ''negative'', I don''t think he''d work under Allardyce at West Ham either in their current setup.It''s simply the way the modern game is played, and I''d rather look at signing players who DO fit into the way we play, rather than those who don''t - Hughton or otherwise...

He''s off to the states, no chance of a move to Hull. Spurs will use him until the end of February and then have more than enough to cover them.

I''d take him here in a flash, he''s a top quality player, i''d even think about him going to Brazil.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]I''m actually shocked he is moving out of the EPL regardless of the loan back for the rest of the season, and I would love to see a front player of his proven quality at our club. If Hull Tigers pull it off then the best of luck to them, they would have signed a player who would contribute a lot to ensuring they stay up. Likewise if West Ham get him on loan, and I dont see them as such a small club for him to sign for to be honest......  [/quote]Can you please stop referring to them as Hull Tigers.

The only way that I can see us going in for another striker during this window would be if it was for a target man, with Becchio leaving shortly after.

I rate Defoe very highly, but having spent £14m on Hoops and RVW, I really can''t see us being in the market for another similar forward.

Best days are behind him and if he was still the business at this level another Premier League side would have pushed hard to get him.

Good goal scorer but not a great one.

£90,000 / week for 5 years, no I''ve no idea why he is going.

He doesn''t need to go through preseason training with the americans so will stay here, probably staying at spurs, till the American season starts, Feb / March

Morty,

I know your post is a little dig at Hughton''s detractors but there is an element of truth in your statement in that would we be able to create enough for him?

Part of this is down to tactics and the way we play. I would like a player of his ability here, but I feel we would not make use of his abilities enough.

Snake

Snake,

Can we credit hughton with at least some tactical nous? I think a finisher like defoe would do just fine here, and it would be pretty stupid to have a player like that and not tinker with the system to get the best out of him.

[quote user="morty"]I think a finisher like defoe would do just fine here, and it would be pretty stupid to have a player like that and not tinker with the system to get the best out of him.[/quote]Is that why another strong finisher in RVW has been played primarily as a lone striker with little to no supply and his goals have dried up?

Whatever the question is indy, the answer you''re looking for is "Hughton''s negative tactics".

He has a point though, Morty.

However "Hughton''s unfortunate injuries" must also be mentioned, in the same breath as "Hughton''s generous but not fantasty-level unlimited squad budget".

We can''t compete with the likes of Drake!! The rapper who rang him and convinced him to go there and obviously jermain who''s "been through the struggles" etc can really relate to drip I mean Drake

[quote user="morty"]Whatever the question is indy, the answer you''re looking for is "Hughton''s negative tactics".[/quote]Well unless you can some up with better answers instead of ignoring the point or making sarcastic remarks then I guess I must be correct after all...