Sign in to follow this  
littleyellowbirdie

Are Jacob and Josh fast enough...

... to operate as full backs in a 4-4-2 diamond or a 4-4-2 magic rectangle in the opinions of the folks on here? Personally I''m a big fan of these two formations and would love to see Norwich use them one day.

Square pegs spring to mind!

Wholly attacking threats used in defensive positions?

Hmmmm

only EB and Ollsson fit the idea for that sort of fullback.

u could see on Saturday after an hour or so josh starting to flag a bit when he did his sprints forward but then had to turn around and run all the way back again and so forth....hard going till you are used to it ,....

Personally I would like to see the team play with a ''rush keeper'' that would give us 11 outfield players, a distinct advantage over the the others. He needn''t wear wear a goal keeping jersey as he could wear a good shift up top and so assist the chap who is running the channels, that would allow Hoolahan to dash back when we are being offensively counter attacked. At corners Bassong could lift him up like a rugby line out so as to catch the ball, or punch it clear as needs be ..........

I did send this suggestion to McNally but so far he hasn''t replied, probably busy

i think this is a great ideawe should also play hoolahan in goal, garrido up front and bring neil adams back as a central defender

[quote user="iron_stan"]i think this is a great ideawe should also play hoolahan in goal, garrido up front and bring neil adams back as a central defender

[/quote]lol. Bang goes that idea then. Speed and acceleration they''re great, shooting they''re great.  Just seems to me the missing ingredients for that sort of full back are tackling and intercepts and I would have thought those areas are easier to develop. I do think that players that can do all that on the wings give a team something pretty special. Seems to work for Pellegrini.

yes, but all that tackling and intercepting stuff is easier to develop or so it would seem

just as Ruddy should take all the throws as he throws the ball more than the others, and the corners as there can''t be much difference between taking them and taking  ........ just as long as someone reminds him to aim for the six yard box and not the centre circlea skill that should be ''easier to develop''

[quote user="City1st"]Personally I would like to see the team play with a ''rush keeper'' that would give us 11 outfield players, a distinct advantage over the the others.

He needn''t wear wear a goal keeping jersey as he could wear a good shift up top and so assist the chap who is running the channels, that would allow Hoolahan to dash back when we are being offensively counter attacked.

At corners Bassong could lift him up like a rugby line out so as to catch the ball, or punch it clear as needs be ..........

I did send this suggestion to McNally but so far he hasn''t replied, probably busy

[/quote]

At last. Some sense.

I’ve always favoured the old Line Out Lift. I also advocate The Two Murphys , obviously in leotards and chalked hands , to undertake a flying “V” formation whilst Neil Adams fires the ball from a comedy canon.  Wesley will descend from a trapeze suspended from the Jarold Stand to leap across to the Snake pit (without a safety net) and  volley the ball into the roof of the net.

After celebrating , the team will run back for a kick off  to the tune of Entrance of the Gladiators and the dugout will explode revealing (as the smoke clears) Trollope with a blackened face, and slightly quizical expression.

That is a very positive thought, which I''m sure would enhance the matchday experience for the happy clappies who are often all  too baffled with all this running to and fro.I''m sure this would be welcomed by the TV companies as it would allow time for ad, and like gridiron in the US they could decide when they want the breaks and so make sure one of these events took placeJust make sure the happie clappies know what the music signifies ie the game is about to start, some sort of score has happened ... and it''s time to go home

[quote user="alartz"]You should change the fast to good.

My answer would have been nowhere near[/quote]bingoI see quite a few people have been sniffing the academy "crack pot" again. These guys need a good year or so in the Championship before they can even be considered.Unless Hoootan''s whole agenda is to give it to them with Norwich :-/

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Full backs?

You realise full backs are defenders right?[/quote]For a good rectangle or Diamond It''s more fluid than that as holding midfielders drop to cover the full backs as they advance on the wings. Full back is arguably a bit of a misnomer as in these formations in an ideal world the full backs operate along the entire length of the field in an offensive capacity as well as defensive giving the formation width. The idea I was floating was that they''re young and can develop to a point where it might be a viable option. Wasn''t talking about a plan for Saturday or anything. It was just a bit of Blue sky thinking on my part. I was kind of hoping for an interesting chat on the subject, but I guess I was  too optimistic.

an offensive capacity ?shouting abuse at fans, peeing n the corner flag, swearing and spitting ?

otherwise I am not sure what you are warbling on about amongst all the corporate speak, nor I suspect do youhaving learned the game off an ex pro when we were a ''minors'' team way back the idea of full backs getting forward was seen as part and parcel of our games, as it was the clubs we playedif you are hoping for an interesting chat then it might help that you post up something that is based on reality

[quote user="City1st"]an offensive capacity ?shouting abuse at fans, peeing n the corner flag, swearing and spitting ?

otherwise I am not sure what you are warbling on about amongst all the corporate speak, nor I suspect do youhaving learned the game off an ex pro when we were a ''minors'' team way back the idea of full backs getting forward was seen as part and parcel of our games, as it was the clubs we playedif you are hoping for an interesting chat then it might help that you post up something that is based on reality

[/quote]Offensive.  It''s the opposite of defensive and features on a thesaurus next to attacking. It''s not complicated. Certainly not for someone who''d learnt from an ex pro i''d have thought.

If you mean attacking then say soThe ex pro was merely the manager, and all beside. We often didn''t have a changing room. Anyone who has played in rural Norfolk will know that. The point being that attacking full backs is nothing new.But the idea that you could simply swap attacking wingers into attacking fullbacks and both at the same level of competence and development is absurd to say the least ... hence most of the posts on here have been pulling the pee (probably some thought you were as well)

Sorry, but I don''t see what''s absurd about wondering whether two talented players can develop another part of their game and make the team more flexible. Taking issue with the word ''offensive'', which is regularly used in the English language, even in the context of sport, could easily be considered absurd on the other hand.

I think it would be advantageous, no matter what formation we were using if all the players could "morph" into Murphy lookalikeys. This could easily be acheived by a combination of fibre optics & LED''s woven into their shirts, simultaneously changing names & numbers on their shirts to Morphy No 1 & 2. Ruddy could then be deployed as both wingers simultaneously. Switching formations at the flick of a switch could be crucial in the run up.

[quote user="Roodge"]I think it would be advantageous, no matter what formation we were using if all the players could "morph" into Murphy lookalikeys. This could easily be acheived by a combination of fibre optics & LED''s woven into their shirts, simultaneously changing names & numbers on their shirts to Morphy No 1 & 2. Ruddy could then be deployed as both wingers simultaneously. Switching formations at the flick of a switch could be crucial in the run up.[/quote]Now that''s what I call thinking outside the box. You''re hired.