Sign in to follow this  
peateabee

Tom Ince for 4m? - worth a punt yes or no.

If reports are to be believed this seems to be the opportunity that is arising . Would you try and take advantage of it - yes or no?

I would personally say on balance - yes. He may not be at first glance the type of player that is an immediate need, although besides his usual wing role I believe he could do a good job behind a striker particularly as part of a flexible trio. The fact is he is a very creative attacking midfielder who also has the invaluable knack for scoring goals a la pilkington, but without the injuries and the potential to keep on improving. 4 million I think would be a sound investment. Anyway, what do you all think?

although i think swansea want him, for £4m i would take him. he has a bit of pace and is left footed so redmond could go on the right and ince on the left. Then we could give snodders more competition who has only played on the right his whole career. But i don''t think we''ll get him unfortunately

Yes - definitely.

He could seriously hamper his own development if he goes to one of the ''glamour'' clubs where he would get far less game time than he would with us.

I feel we would be ideal for him, to give him the exposure he wants, and I feel he would be ideal for us, adding creativity and pace.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Yes - definitely. He could seriously hamper his own development if he goes to one of the ''glamour'' clubs where he would get far less game time than he would with us. I feel we would be ideal for him, to give him the exposure he wants, and I feel he would be ideal for us, adding creativity and pace.[/quote]

Doubt he''ll end up at a glamour club - will be either Swansea or Cardiff, both of whom need wingers and Ince will get regular games. He ran his contract down to 6 months to secure bigger wages for himself so while the transfer fee is small, wages will be high.

Definitely good value at £4m, but with Pilks and Benno to come back from injury, I wouldn''t want to sign Ince as it could stifle the development of Redmond and particularly Josh Murphy. As a replacement for Hoolahan/Elmander as a number 10 he might be good, but at the moment I''d be putting all my eggs into the ''quality holding midfielder'' basket.

would be an absolute steal for that price, likely to make a profit form him in the future as well, and city need a left wingere.bennet is not good enough, snodgrass unbalances the team, pilkington is injury proneto be able to pick form redmond, ince, snodgrass, pilkington and the murphys for the wide places would be quality

he will be a premiership player at some point, might as well be with city

No - we simply dont need a winger.   And redmond is much better..

Has pedigree and is one of the most exciting young English talents on the market, why wouldn''t we want him?

I''m looking forward to seeing Bennett come back, he''s such a nice guy with a great attitude, so It would be great to see him come back and perform to a good level. I like Pilks but he does spend allot of time injured and can be quite inconsistent, but when he plays well you can see why Liverpool were linked with him. Snodgrass lacks pace, but he sort of makes up for that with his commitment and set pieces, but it would be great to see him have some more competition soon.

It could easily be argued that despite his obvious ability, Pilks is seemingly so injury prone that we''re going to be lucky to get 20-25 games a season out of the guy on a consistent basis, and therefore we probably could do with extra cover if this trend is to continue.That aside, we really don''t need extra wingers at this stage and any money we spend really has to be focused on bringing in a player who can help with our midfield distribution as well as probably another top quality centre back to challenge Bassong/Turner.Still at 4 million it''s not a lot for one of the more promising young English players...

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]

"I think more attractive clubs will gobble him up before us."

Shouldn''t that be in the Hitzlsperger thread ?

[/quote]

LOL

If I''m absolutely honest, I''ve not seen enough of Ince to pass judgement.But, seemingly like one or two others on here, I really cannot see why we need yet another winger at the club. We have loads already, even when a couple are injured. For me there are much higher priorities, another CB, RB and CM to name but 3.

of course we need another winger, we had hoolahan on the wing a few weeks ago, would be perfect, will end up at swansea or everton though

[quote user="peateabee"]If reports are to be believed this seems to be the opportunity that is arising . Would you try and take advantage of it - yes or no?

I would personally say on balance - yes. He may not be at first glance the type of player that is an immediate need, although besides his usual wing role I believe he could do a good job behind a striker particularly as part of a flexible trio. The fact is he is a very creative attacking midfielder who also has the invaluable knack for scoring goals a la pilkington, but without the injuries and the potential to keep on improving. 4 million I think would be a sound investment. Anyway, what do you all think?[/quote]unfortunately it is rather a bit more complicated than thatfirstly you have NO idea what the actual cost of this player is in fees, wages, add ons etclikewise his attitude, social life, family situation etc ...............merely that someone has linked the sum of £4m to him

£4 M ?,,, isnt this the guy that was 8-12£M only a few months ago, Yep i know he''s run his contract down, etc etc but do we really need him? plus he comes with some heavyweight baggage....The ''Gov''nor''..as his dad likes to call himself. Non,Merci.

How can people say we do not need a winger?

We have a couple that may turn out to be good, in a season or two, but we need one now.

To win games of football you need to score goals. To score goals chances have to be created. Our wingers are not creating chances for two very good strikers, making both of them at times look ordinary, feeding off scraps.

It has been suggested a centre back, a defensive midfielder and a right back are needed before a winger.

How many goals will those players create?

If Ince was available for £4M we should get in there as soon as possible.

Fenway Frank wrote

Do you that maybe this is why he didn''t come out while he was still playing?

[quote user="Alfie54"]Fenway Frank wrote

Do you that maybe this is why he didn''t come out while he was still playing?[/quote]Probably would have been better waiting until after the game was finished

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]How can people say we do not need a winger?[/quote]Like this - "We do not need a winger".Easy isn''t it...[quote]We have a couple that may turn out to be good, in a season or two, but we need one now.[/quote]A) Pilks is expected back available just after the Fulham replay which will give us more opportunity to give Redmond a restB) Snoddy is still here and uninjured unless I''ve missed something?C) Redmond is also still here and uninjured unless I''ve missed both him and Snoddy being injured?D) We also have players like Olsson who can play on the wing if requiredE) We have the Murphy twins to use as impact subs if needed.F) At some point (hopefully sooner rather than later) Benno will also be back from injury to give us further options.So are you suggesting that SIX actual wingers (along with 1-2 others who can play there) is insufficient cover for the two wing roles, and we should instead pay overinflated January prices for yet another one when there are clearly key positions that need bolstering first with those funds???The problem is NOT that our wingers aren''t good enough, it''s that they''re being shackled by Hughton''s more defensive approach and style of play. This is why Wes and Fox can''t get a game, why Holt looked awful last year and why the first main rumour about our potential signings in Jan is for a hulking, error prone Centre back instead of a cultured, ball playing midfielder...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Yellow Wall"]How can people say we do not need a winger?[/quote]Like this - "We do not need a winger".Easy isn''t it...[quote]We have a couple that may turn out to be good, in a season or two, but we need one now.[/quote]A) Pilks is expected back available just after the Fulham replay which will give us more opportunity to give Redmond a restB) Snoddy is still here and uninjured unless I''ve missed something?C) Redmond is also still here and uninjured unless I''ve missed both him and Snoddy being injured?D) We also have players like Olsson who can play on the wing if requiredE) We have the Murphy twins to use as impact subs if needed.F) At some point (hopefully sooner rather than later) Benno will also be back from injury to give us further options.So are you suggesting that SIX actual wingers (along with 1-2 others who can play there) is insufficient cover for the two wing roles, and we should instead pay overinflated January prices for yet another one when there are clearly key positions that need bolstering first with those funds???The problem is NOT that our wingers aren''t good enough, it''s that they''re being shackled by Hughton''s more defensive approach and style of play. This is why Wes and Fox can''t get a game, why Holt looked awful last year and why the first main rumour about our potential signings in Jan is for a hulking, error prone Centre back instead of a cultured, ball playing midfielder...[/quote]

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwnnn.

[quote user="morty"]The problem is NOT that our wingers aren''t good enough, it''s that they''re being shackled by Hughton''s more defensive approach and style of play. This is why Wes and Fox can''t get a game, why Holt looked awful last year and why the first main rumour about our potential signings in Jan is for a hulking, error prone Centre back instead of a cultured, ball playing midfielder...

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwnnn.[/quote]Aw, come on Morty. You are better than that. Indy was merely expanding on the earlier point as to why yet another winger is not the priority atm.   You may not agree with this premise, but it does not deserve a childish response like that.

[quote user="morty"]Yaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwnnn.[/quote]Funny how our wingers used to perform extremely well under Lambert and don''t look anywhere near as effective under Hughton though Morty.Or do you actually think that it''s our wingers that aren''t good enough???