Sign in to follow this  
Eadies Left, Hucks Right, Iwans Heed, Holts Laugh!

Short of midfielders - Andrew Surman anyone?

I would guess that morty is implying Surman is away on a season-long loan, and therefore cannot be recalled.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]I would guess that morty is implying Surman is away on a season-long loan, and therefore cannot be recalled.[/quote]
Amongst other reasons, yes.

I actually think the way Hughton is trying to play Surman would be a useful player on the bench. He''s technically a very good player, but lacks some strength and pace. Not wanting to question the guys motives without knowing him, but he does seem to lack a bit of ambition and drive. Not really seen anything from him to suggest he''s really pushing himself to even fill his potential.
After someone mentioned him the other day I asked if he''d done much this season, someone said they''d seen him play well in one game. But when I checked shortly after apparently he''s only made seven appearances. For Bournemouth. Being sent out on loan to a lower half Championship team, a newly promoted one at that, barely playing even if it is down to injury (no idea) doesn''t really give us much hope does it?

He has a number of things going for him, including

1) covers huge distances - nothing wrong with his stamina, even if he is not the quickest. He was frequently to be found on the goal line when defending. When fully fit, he was often the player who covered most distance in a match.

2) he has some lovely touches, creating chances for colleagues in much the same way as Wes, and if he is not as good at dribbling as the latter, he is better at one touch football - almost unique in our team. We are creating very little down the middle that he may have the skills to change that.

3) He plays on the left - a position many teams struggle to fill

I would be the first to concede that it might be difficult to play him and Wes in the same team, as they are similar in many ways, and I would have to know how well he has played at Bournemouth but, if we wanted him, there would obviously be transfer fee as he is already on our books.

I feel that Hughton will get rid of him, as Surman plays the kind of one touch football which does not fit in with the "attack down the wings" policy

I think its a fair point, op.  Surman is still an NCFC player and regardless of the past and where we think we are now, he is experienced and a technically good player.   Been out of the firing line, keeping fit hopefully at Bournemouth and yes - if we need a midfield player, even for cover - there surely would be a clause allowing us to recall him if necessary?  

[quote user="Gingerpele"] Not wanting to question the guys motives without knowing him, but he does seem to lack a bit of ambition and drive. Not really seen anything from him to suggest he''s really pushing himself to even fill his potential.
[/quote]Same could be said of Fer.

I don''t know why everyone''s being so apologetic about the suggestion - he IS a good player and he IS good enough to play in PL, even if as a squad player. He played well when he got his chances under Lambert, scored a goal or two but was unlucky with injuries.

In fact, that would be my main worry. He was a proper sick note and rarely managed an extended run in the team.

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]Not trying to nitpick, GP, but what makes you think that Surman lacks ambition and drive? as I''ve always seemed to think the opposite.[/quote]
Well he never seems to have really worked on his weaknesses. Its obviously not easy, and like I said I don''t want to question him when I don''t know him. I could be way off. But something a lot of people have criticised in the past is his physicality but its never seemed to improve. Of course its just fans that have done that, the managers and coaches he''s worked under might be fine with it. It might be all he can manage without changing his play style.
But basically I see Surman as a very good technical player. His first touch and passing is top notch, has the ability to create and score. And in my opinion, if he had an injury free season and bulked up a tad he would have easily been in our team. Maybe not now, but it looks like its too late. He had some pretty good games under Lambert. Fox, Surman and Wes in midfield had the potential to be very good. We could have had a passing midfield to rival Swansea. But Johnson and Crofts got plenty of game time, Pilks always played when fit pretty much. Same with Bennett and Surmans (and even Wes to an extent) game time was limited. Again partly down to injury. But I remember watching Wolves away, I think we drew 1-1 in the end, but Surman and Wes ripped them apart for the first half hour, think we should have had a penalty and had a couple very good chances, but only scored the one and Wolves got back in the game. Could have been so much more if Surman reached his full potential.
In my opinion ;-)

Yeah I did think always Surman a bit too average in every area, but he was very useful player and we have lot of games where we struggle to keep posession where he could shine.

In my opinion he is a bit like a Howson but a wide player. Has some goals in him, good work ratio and decent in all areas, but master in none. Also had some goals in him.

I also struggle to see how he wouldn''t have fit in our 25 men, but mayby he just couldn''t find his form after injury and seems still to struggle in championship thought I think being creative player on lower half team doesnt give you any favours in that rugby league ^^