Sign in to follow this  
Canary On The Wire

HUGHTON NEEDS TO RESIGN

[quote user="Canary On The Wire"]Your emergence on this thread (like an irrelevant and forgotten nemesis, e.g Ipswich Town) followed by a petty insult, constitutes a bite if you ask me[/quote]Irrelevance is something you ignore. You were the one that mentioned me in the first place you illiterate baboon.

Irrelevance actually means ''to not be connected to something''.Ignorance is something entirely different, a quality you definitely possess.Yes, it can be argued I ''connected'' you to the discussion, but you definitely turned up for a good old chomp, either way

[quote user="Canary On The Wire"]How incredibly condescending and exactly what I have come to expect of this forum.You think because I opted not to hyphenate in ''resign'' that I was unaware of the connotations of both meanings?Had I put ''Hughton Needs To Re-Sign'' then it would have been equally guilty of the same crime.Hughton Needs To Resign implies as a standalone statement, whereas the former makes the continuation too obvious.I apologise for assuming you had more intelligence than needing to be spoon fed the pun.I''m not sure it''s me who needs to do the hoping. Best you all get back to incessantly whining about Houghton.[/quote]I enjoy a good pun as much as the next man, but that one didn''t really work. You have to try and get words that sound similar to each other and not simply containing similar letters or the joke loses sense. For instance the joke - "Two peanuts are walking down the street, one was assaulted" works because "a salted" and "assaulted" sound the same. "Resign" and "Re-sign" do not sound similar and therefore this doesn''t really work.Hope that helps.

Er, what?Re-sign and Resign contain the EXACT same letters.They differ only in the vowel sound ''ee'' in the former as opposed to ''eh'' in the latter.Thanks for your entirely patronising reply but your attempted explanation is hilarious!''The pun, also called paronomasia, is a form of word play that suggests two or more meanings, by exploiting multiple meanings of words, or of similar-sounding words, for an intended humorous or rhetorical effect''Whether you thought it was ''humorous'' or not is another matter, but as it was a) intended to be, and the fact that b)RESIGN: Contains consonant ''ruh'', vowel ''eh'', consonant ''suh'', vowel ''eye'', silent G, consonant ''nuh''.RE-SIGN: Contains consonant ''ruh'', vowel ''ee'', consonant ''suh'', vowel ''eye'', silent G. consonant ''nuh''.That''s 5 of 6 phonetic sounds in both words (4 of 5 arguing that the silent G isn''t a phonetic sound) which are IDENTICAL.that makes them SIMILAR SOUNDING WORDS. That makes it a PUN. and that''s where you can all hold your hands up and admit your condescension is childish and undeserved.Thanks

[quote user="Canary On The Wire"]Er, what?Re-sign and Resign contain the EXACT same letters.They differ only in the vowel sound ''ee'' in the former as opposed to ''eh'' in the latter.Thanks for your entirely patronising reply but your attempted explanation is hilarious!''The pun, also called paronomasia, is a form of word play that suggests two or more meanings, by exploiting multiple meanings of words, or of similar-sounding words, for an intended humorous or rhetorical effect''Whether you thought it was ''humorous'' or not is another matter, but as it was a) intended to be, and the fact that b)RESIGN: Contains consonant ''ruh'', vowel ''eh'', consonant ''suh'', vowel ''eye'', silent G, consonant ''nuh''.RE-SIGN: Contains consonant ''ruh'', vowel ''ee'', consonant ''suh'', vowel ''eye'', silent G. consonant ''nuh''.That''s 5 of 6 phonetic sounds in both words (4 of 5 arguing that the silent G isn''t a phonetic sound) which are IDENTICAL.that makes them SIMILAR SOUNDING WORDS. That makes it a PUN. and that''s where you can all hold your hands up and admit your condescension is childish and undeserved.Thanks[/quote]

Your one problem in it is that "resign" is pronounced "reezine".   Re-sign  is pronounced "reesine".   I''m sorry, but your headline made nonsense when attached to the post.  It took a few readings to understand you were trying to say.  So a good pun it was not, hence you got a bit of ribbing for it.  No big deal.  You need to move on.

What you have said there is perfectly true LDC.Taking that into account, that makes it 3 out of 5 identical phonetic sounds, one entirely different one, and one similar one.As the definition of similar is ''to bear a resemblance''And the words re-sign, and resign resemble each other in terms of the majority of their phonetic content (60-40, possibly slightly more 65-35  as ''suh'' and ''zuh'' are only slightly different) and in terms of letters used,and the definition of a pun dictates that the words should be similar sounding, and they are, says to me that the misdirection of the pedants is ill advised in this scenario.Where did I say I thought it was a good pun, anyway?

[quote user="Canary On The Wire"]What you have said there is perfectly true LDC.Taking that into account, that makes it 3 out of 5 identical phonetic sounds, one entirely different one, and one similar one.As the definition of similar is ''to bear a resemblance''And the words re-sign, and resign resemble each other in terms of the majority of their phonetic content (60-40, possibly slightly more 65-35  as ''suh'' and ''zuh'' are only slightly different) and in terms of letters used,and the definition of a pun dictates that the words should be similar sounding, and they are, says to me that the misdirection of the pedants is ill advised in this scenario.Where did I say I thought it was a good pun, anyway?

[/quote]Well in that case I can agree that it was a bad pun. But not all jokes work at the end of the day, that''s why comedians do warm-up gigs and Jim Davidson is resigned (or was that re-signed) to working on Yarmouth peer.

[quote user="Canary On The Wire"]Also, your suggestion of ''reezine'' and ''reesine'' suggests they are even more similar than I said they were.Shot yourself in the foot there pal[/quote][:D]  Not really.   You keep making it worse.   Your headline on the face of it had no bearing on what was in the post.  No sense whatever.  To you it may have been a clever play on words, similar words, yes, but it didn''t work in this case because it took readers several readings to get the gist of your attempt.  Sorry, it wasn''t good, you took some ribbing - we all do from time to time.  Enough is enough. 

Why are you still going on about it not being good, and me taking a ribbing?All I have done is describe exactly how they are similar sounding using a ratio of phonetics between the two words, in the face of people telling me that the words don''t sound similar....when if 60% of the sounds of which the words are comprised are identical, then they sound similar. That''s just fact.