Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Anyone Else Increasingly nervous about the rest of the season?

I fully realize that we are in the mix with about another 10 clubs to go down,some have more points than us, others less.Regardless of the rights or wrongs strategically we seem to have decided to stick with Hughton and personally not having already made a change i see little point in doing so now, it is almost too late unless we have to do the last season Di canio shock treatment to pull us over the line.

just about only Norwich and West ham have chosen to stick with their management only time will now tell if that has been a wise or foolish decision.

What is slightly different this season is that clubs will probably need less points to stay up possibly 36 or less which is good, but much more of a worry for me there are no obvious candidates for the drop at the half way point. Palace, Sunderland and fulham are picking up points, cardiff and WBA have new managers with the potential for the instant lift and even crisis club West Ham are not that far behind and have key players coming back from injury plus a very Wiley albeit embattled manger in charge.behind.

We have already dropped too many points against lesser clubs and taken virtually non from the better ones. I was concerned last season but am starting to be increasingly so this season. We need some morale boosters to lift the gloom, unexpected points and a decent couple of wins at home. I dread to think what the table will look like after this weekend and 1 win against hull/Newcastle is essential. Of all the clubs we seem to be one quietly slipping beneath the waves, whilst relegation attention in the media seems focused else where. Going to be a long long remaining half to the season

As much as the next man.

I feel though, that when RVW gets going, Pilks returns and Tettey gets back, we''ll have enough in the tank to stay up. West Ham look like a disaster, and i''m still not completely convinced by Palace. I''m even waiting for Hull to fall. I guess we''ll see what the next few months bring.

We''re also at a stage where everyone has played everyone and apart from a slight difference in playing people home and away, the league table is at it''s fairest state it will get until the last day of the season. Every team drops unneccesary points. We took them off Stoke for instance.

A couple of new recruits to (as Lambert used to say ) "help the others" would be great though and allow us to mix things up and motivate some stagnating performers. I''d say our fate mainly rests on our ability to get RVW scoring. He has the potential to grab us the goals to keep us up.

Its sad to say, but i''ve been worried about us since October. Its going to be a difficult season, but I agree that the points total to survive will probably be ~36. We just need to taking maximum points from the teams around and below us. Hopefully Hoops and Leroy can do enough to keep us up.

I noticed this morning that Ipswich are in the play-off spots. it would be a horrible thing to ''pass on the stairs''!

Sunderland form has not really improved. In their last ten league games they have gained just seven points. Their cup exploits give a false perspective of their actual form.

i''ve never been worried with hughton in charge, (i think i''m in the minority) Although i wish we didn''t capitulate against the big teams this season, i think he''s a good manager that will see us progress. In 7 years or so, i hope we can be like everton and finish 7-9, looking to get into europa

[quote user="mrs miggins"]i''ve never been worried with hughton in charge, (i think i''m in the minority) Although i wish we didn''t capitulate against the big teams this season, i think he''s a good manager that will see us progress. In 7 years or so, i hope we can be like everton and finish 7-9, looking to get into europa[/quote]
I pretty much agree with this, also Jimmy smith''s post.
I think that when we have the majority of our players fit, we have a decent enough squad, that gives the manager options. 
We''ll be fine.

I am increasingly concerned, partly because we do not seem to be playing at our best. In a few recent games we have been told that the performances were good, but the fact remains that we are not convincing. Even the 2-0 win at WBA was a nail-biting affair with wave after wave of attackers destined to overrun us, and we could not breathe until the second goal. We beat one other team by two goals, but not until we had gone behind and then were gifted a goal by their keeper.

We have had several longer term injuries, and even now we have Benno and Turner out for several weeks, and the weeks for Howson are ticking away. All this on top of several weeks out for Hooper and RvW at a time when we wanted them to settle in. We have a squad of 23, and an effective squad of perhaps no more than 18. More injuries later in the season and we could be in deep trouble.

Are there any rays of hope?

We have to hope that Hooper continues his scoring, and that RvW has that little bit of luck he needs - last match it was Stockdale to somehow keep out two excellent efforts. We have to hope that Tettey returns soon, but not in the somewhat reduced way he came back from injury last year.

If the report was true, that we had bid over £8m for a CB from Italy, this is encouraging, although many of us are not sure about the player in question. The Board have realised that we are in danger and seem to be ready to splash the cash.

Many of us feel that there are managerial problems, although it must be said that Hughton seems to have taken on board some of the criticisms - that 85 minutes is too late for any substitution to make an impact, perhaps even that Redmond is a much more penetrative right winger, and that Olsson can be a very effective LB, and so on. The major lack seems to be that there is little evidence that they have thought out a way to beat their specific opponents, coupled with an inability to motivate the team as an attacking force. If these deficiencies could be overcome, I would be much happier.

but we will never be convincing, what we can hope to be as time goes on is clinical. If you look at newcastle, west brom when they had great seasons and everton, in their games, they don''t maul teams, they just have that cutting edge which gets you a lot in this league

[quote user="mrs miggins"]but we will never be convincing, what we can hope to be as time goes on is clinical. If you look at newcastle, west brom when they had great seasons and everton, in their games, they don''t maul teams, they just have that cutting edge which gets you a lot in this league[/quote]
People will continue to demand Roy of the Rovers football though, but they are going to have to settle for something less than that unfortunately.
People need to be realistic.

By the end of last season I was fed up with the football being played and what seemed to be a hint of stagnation (if not reversion) in the quality of our play. I thought it was time to change the manager and bring someone more focused on playing a smart, passing, attack focused game rather than the defensive stability Hughton seemed to prefer.I was told to give the manager time, that he''d inherited the squad from Lambert and that he needed the chance to bring his own players in and work on changing our style of play. Frankly I wasn''t conviced, but was willing to see how things went, especially when I felt that he''d done some very smart transfer business in the summer and agreed that it was only fair to give the guy a bit longer before passing judgment.Now some 4 months later my original opinion has only been reinforced. Our standard of play has been truly poor for long parts of the season so far (although being fair I can''t remember a game as bad as last seasons match against Stoke), our new superstar striker has been left starved of service, our more dynamic midfielders appear to still be under more cautious shackles (despite what both Howson and Fer have shown they are capable of at times from an attacking perspective), our most creative ball players have either been given no game time or left to rot on the bench for the majority of games, and even our wingers seem to be being told to focus more on defending rather than attacking!We were told that we needed to improve defensively (I totally agree), yet under Hughton this has resulted in a mere 2-3 goals per season improvement in the ''against'' column - at the cost of far more in the ''for'' column.We''ve gone from an attack minded side that would give ANY other team a tough match, with players full of confidence and belief and a manager who was unafraid to make changes in order to chase a game to get a result, to a team which looks stifled of creativity, lacking in passion, and who are quite happy to settle for a 1-0 loss rather than push for an equaliser and risk going 2-0 down. The football is boring, the results aren''t any better for it and I''m sick of it to be honest.I feel that we''ve got a much better squad than any of the promoted sides, not to mention most of the other teams who were in and around the bottom half of the table last season, and yet despite this advantage we''re completely failing to capitalise on it and we''re making poor to average teams look good at times, whilst playing a brand of football that at best can normally be described as ''tepid'' and at worst as ''dire''...Assuming that Hughton isn''t removed in this transfer window, then he HAS to go in the summer because I have no desire for our club to turn into the new Stoke by playing utterly awful football just to keep us in the top flight, I want a return of the type of football we have been traditionally known for, and played best under the likes of Stringer, Walker and Brown, rather than the negative tosh that''s being served up each week under the current regime.Nervous? You bet I am, and quite how any fan can be satisfied with the football we''ve played in the last 18 months I don''t know (even if we''ve had the odd good result against teams like Man Utd and Arsenal - the football''s still been s**t to watch)...

I''m concerned mainly because it''s been proved that teams who get relegated all have one thing in common , lack of goals,which is something we just haven''t improved on since game 1.It doesn''t bother me getting stuffed 7-0 at Man city but when we are dominating games like man u at home we need to get in front but we fail to do that, however we can but hope that by getting our injured players back we can just about scrape by .

well just remember indy, you don''t have to watch it, you could always give your ticket to someone on the waiting list who wants to see our football which is transforming every season, last season was boring to watch, this season i''ve loved going to carrow rd. (except norwich on boxing day which was near to the stoke game i thought)

lets not hope that we can scrape by, lets hope we can scrape 10th place.

(i ideally want us to finish 13th because i then win £300, - i got it last season when i had us down for 11th)

[quote user="mrs miggins"]well just remember indy, you don''t have to watch it, you could always give your ticket to someone on the waiting list who wants to see our football.....[/quote]I seem to remember Indy saying he doesn''t actually have a season ticket. I may be wrong but I seem to recall him saying he watches on streams.

[quote user="lappinitup"]I seem to remember Indy saying he doesn''t actually have a season ticket. I may be wrong but I seem to recall him saying he watches on streams.[/quote]Absolutely correct Lapps.Living in Rotherham and not having a lot of spare income means that a season ticket is out of the question, so I do have to rely on alternative methods to watch us play each week, the plus side to this is that I tend to see a lot more of what''s actually happening in the game than I may do compared to watching from the stands (I just miss out on the great atmosphere in exchange).I still manage to get hold of away tickets now and again if there''s a relatively close match (it used to be great being able to go to Sheffield, Barnsley, Leeds, Doncaster etc to watch the lads play, but there ain''t many prem clubs close to me unfortunately).But whether I''m in the stands (home or away), or watching it in other ways - the football is still the same, and that''s what I have the issue with...

We need to score more goals. All things remaining equal, we''re going to have to field our more creative players a bit more often than in the first half of the season.

I have to agree with the op''s headline.  But then  I''ve been nervous about NCFC since 1970.  To me nervousness can be a good thing.  Being nervous means you care  - but just being nervous about the possibilty of relegation is a waste of energy.  If you channel your nervousness into positive energy, you will be rewarded.  If Paul Lambert had anything to teach us, it was that positive energy is a powerful force. Nervous? You bet. I wouldn''t have it any other way. 

[quote user="mrs miggins"]well just remember indy, you don''t have to watch it, you could always give your ticket to someone on the waiting list who wants to see our football which is transforming every season, last season was boring to watch, this season i''ve loved going to carrow rd. (except norwich on boxing day which was near to the stoke game i thought)[/quote]

You have loved going to every game this season ?

1) You are mentally deranged

2)You are telling a porky

3)You have never been to Carrow Road

4) You are C Hughton

As for suggesting that someone who has supported the club by paying for a season ticket , should give it up because he has an opinion .... you stagger me !

What a total wally

And there you go, someone berated for daring to enjoy following their football team.
Only on the pinkun!

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]I We have already dropped too many points

against lesser clubs and taken virtually non from the better ones.

[/quote]

So far this season we''ve only lost 3 of the 12 games against teams outside the top 8. So on what basis do you make the claim that we''ve dropped too many points against the so called lesser clubs? Of these clubs only Southampton have dropped less points against the bottom 12.

Like what you said Barclay.

Am I nervous about this season? You betcha.

We have, in our party of Bury yellas, a general number of eight all of whom are season ticket holders. Ages range from 35 to 67. At least two are almost certain not to retain their tickets next season. The prime mover is a certain Mr Hughton and his tactics.

This does not present a problem for anyone on this board. I happen to think he will see us relegated but that''s just my opinion just as others say he is a marvellous tactician, has brought the crowd and players together so that the atmosphere is electric at The Carra just like it used to be.

The two in out party mentioned are life long supporters and held season tickets for a few years.

Still never mind all of you who haven''t got a season ticket may be able to grab at least a couple next year.

Contrary to the usual accusations for any one daring to have an opposite view to some on this here board, we actually do love our club and are genuinely concerned that this Manager is just not up to the job. It''s an opinion, I would suggest, many hold but desperately hope we are so very very wrong.

We used to get these "not renewing" claims every January. But then, even after relegation to league one they renewed. I hope this time they''re more honest and loads keep their word and chuck in their tickets. I''ve got 9 grandchildren scrabbling for the scraps that are left as it stands now...

Dropping points against the lesser clubs! lost to Fulham and Villa at home. Drew with Cardiff and Swansea at home. Lost away to Hull. I think we would have hoped for more than 2 points from these 5 fixtures. Thats my basis

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Dropping points against the lesser clubs! lost to Fulham and Villa at home. Drew with Cardiff and Swansea at home. Lost away to Hull. I think we would have hoped for more than 2 points from these 5 fixtures. Thats my basis[/quote]

So you just picked out some games to suit such an argument. Here''s the truth : -

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/3040952/ShowPost.aspx

I''m suggesting if you''re not enjoying the football (although now indy has says he doesn''t go to games) and you don''t buy into what the manager is doing and you know he won''t be sacked, then why bother going. I didn''t on many occasions last season because the games were very drab, (although tactically, hughton got it right for his team at the time) though i thought we would be fine in terms of not being relegated.

If you''ve supported the club for a long time, but suddenly aren''t enjoying the games and won''t for the foreseeable future, then why spend hundreds of pounds going to watch it.

.....''and what a total wally''......really....you can do better than that

There are not 3 worse teams than Norwich this season , we will go down comfortably and all because we wont sack the worst manager we have had for years , even Gunn could give him a run for his money . Be honest , after all the money spent we look light years behind Hull for Christs sake .

[quote user="CanaryOne"]There are not 3 worse teams than Norwich this season , we will go down comfortably and all because we wont sack the worst manager we have had for years , even Gunn could give him a run for his money . Be honest , after all the money spent we look light years behind Hull for Christs sake .[/quote]

That''s rubbish, or maybe I should say "binner" because you might as well be with an attitude like that.

[quote user="CanaryOne"]There are not 3 worse teams than Norwich this season , we will go down comfortably and all because we wont sack the worst manager we have had for years , even Gunn could give him a run for his money . Be honest , after all the money spent we look light years behind Hull for Christs sake .[/quote]
Gunn could give him a run for his money?
We didn''t really spend that much, in the grand scheme of things.
Light years behind Hull. Really? Are hull the new swansea stick to beat Norwich with?