Sign in to follow this  
NWC

Grant Holt for sale

That Thorpe End Canary chap is very short sighted in what he sees and remembers, very one dimensional in his thoughts. Elmander does a good job and not/never has been an out and out striker. Some great link up play and puts himself about, like Holt when he was fit for us.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="Budapest Canary"][quote user="Thorpe end canary"][quote user="morty"]Its almost like Hughton got shot of him at EXACTLY the right time.......[/quote]

Indeed and replaced him with his Swedish look alike that finds it impossible to put the ball in the back of the net. Replaced a fading goal scorer with Elmander hardly a glowing reference for his competence[/quote]

The swedish lookalike is a definite upgrade. If Holt can''t score in the Champiionship he is not likely to score in the Prem, while in terms of technical skills and pace Elmander has a lot more to offer.[/quote]Pace? Elmander is one of the slowest footballers I''ve ever seen! I like him as a link player when we''re up against more physical teams, and I think he''s worth a place in the squad, especially if Hughton does decide to pair Hoop and RVW together now they''re both fit. If we want to release Becchio and bring in another fourth striker I don''t think that''s such a bad idea, but I think people calling for Holt to return are letting their hearts rule their heads. Nothing wrong with more experienced players in the short term, but it''s not like Holt has Dion Dublin''s level of fitness. That''s why he can''t get a game for a mid-table Championship side, surely?[/quote]

I had been thinking of relative pace, as compared to Holt, not to Murphy/s or Redmond! Nonetheless, Elmander moves around a lot and he usually gets in the right place in the right time.

I''d like to see a ''sprint'' race between Holt and Elmander – would be interesting to see who was ''fastest''... ;)

No doubt that Elmander''s brain works very fast, he has excellent awareness and positioning.

[quote user="Six Pack"]

In your attempt to ridicule me you have made an absurd statement - you''re saying Becchio''s definitely better than Holt - once again your expert opinion - 

.[/quote]Erm, SP, precisely where did I say that Becchio is better than Holt ? I never mentioned him.My mention of the other 3 players was tongue in cheek/sarcasm. Clearly concepts that you are not up to speed with.Perhaps if you got off your high horse you might find more time to keep up.PS...there really do not appear to be many on this thread who are seriously saying it''d be a good idea to bring Holt back. You and one or two others. Kind of tells its own story, doesnt it??

Where did it all go wrong for Holt? Or was he just over-hyped?

The above illustrates the laziness of the "journalism" in this article. As if they are the only two scenarios available .In what way has it"all gone wrong" for GH ? He''s a bit older, a bit slower, and out of form. Not really a hanging offence.Also I don''t think he was "overhyped". He had 3 great seasons for us, and was rightly rewarded for them. It''s true that a couple of years back that there were a few people making silly predictions that he was a future England player, and a shoo-in for Euro 2012, but that''s not his fault, is it ?

Fact is Grant offers more than Becchio on the field and his leadership qualities could help to motivate the team. I know who i''d rather see come off the bench in the last 10 mins.

A swap loan deal until the end of the season could be a blessing for Holt and us IMO!

I agree with the sentiment that Holt is a one off.

He looks and is physical like a target man, but he likes to run the channels and chase lost causes in the same way that the pacier or smaller strikers tend to.

I think in many ways that was his downfall and his strength. When we needed one player to play as a forward I think he struggled to re-work his game to an effective degree, perhaps that was unfair.

but the reality is that we are six months on, the premiership has grown stronger and despite his status in the clubs history he is most likely now on the decline.

I don''t think a loan deal would help. If we were to get a loan in I would hope it would be for a player that would improve more than 20mins of a game that some are suggesting. We need more than that at the moment.

Anyone who thinks we should get Grant Holt back (so taking up a place in the squad of 25) is suffering from a bad case of Legenditis and should seek treatment immediately. A short course of statistics from our last season and Wigan''s current season should cure the problem.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"]I''d like to see a ''sprint'' race between Holt and Elmander – would be interesting to see who was ''fastest''... ;)

No doubt that Elmander''s brain works very fast, he has excellent awareness and positioning.[/quote]

I''m not sure I could devote the hours needed to watch that race.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Six Pack"]

In your attempt to ridicule me you have made an absurd statement - you''re saying Becchio''s definitely better than Holt - once again your expert opinion - 

.[/quote]Erm, SP, precisely where did I say that Becchio is better than Holt ? I never mentioned him.My mention of the other 3 players was tongue in cheek/sarcasm. Clearly concepts that you are not up to speed with.Perhaps if you got off your high horse you might find more time to keep up.PS...there really do not appear to be many on this thread who are seriously saying it''d be a good idea to bring Holt back. You and one or two others. Kind of tells its own story, doesnt it??[/quote]

my original post:

I did say bring in as 4th striker whoareyou I didn''t say clear the decks & bring him in for the 10 year plan - did I ?

Reggie Strayshun wrote:

Oh dear. There''s always one, isn''t there?

To to go along with SP''s idiotic idea, lets bring back Martin, Mc Donald, and Vaughan as well. Come to think about it, Anthony Mc Namee''s not getting a game at present......

"Oh dear. There''s always one, isn''t there?" - your response to my suggesting Holt should be coming in as the 4th striker.

The 4th striker is currently Becchio - everybody knows this - its not debatable - unless some of the youngsters have also overtaken him now. No use cutting out half of my post and putting a "smart-ass" answer to that.

How do you know most fans think Becchio is better than Holt ?

So you make this idiotic statement that there may be a few others that think similar to me - just like your idiotic statement in another thread rubbishing Hoolahan fans that want him to stay - when a poll reveals over 90% of city supporters want Hoolahan to stay.

Just because you think a particular player isn''t good doesn''t make that fact.

You appear to be the Frank Spencer of this forum .

In addition to Hughton''s alleged contribution when assessing Holt''s performances last season, don''t forget that there is a strong second season syndrome for strikers in the Premiership. You can see the reasons for this given that defenders will study videos and work out how to stop them.

It is not just Holt. There was Jelavic for example and Andy Carroll in his Liverpool Spell and this season we can see Michu, Benteke and Lambert all finding it impossible to replicate the form of their first season. Our own Morison too might come within this syndrome.

I think part of the problem last season was Holt being targeted by defenders who knew how to play against him.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]In addition to Hughton''s alleged contribution when assessing Holt''s performances last season, don''t forget that there is a strong second season syndrome for strikers in the Premiership. You can see the reasons for this given that defenders will study videos and work out how to stop them.

It is not just Holt. There was Jelavic for example and Andy Carroll in his Liverpool Spell and this season we can see Michu, Benteke and Lambert all finding it impossible to replicate the form of their first season. Our own Morison too might come within this syndrome.

I think part of the problem last season was Holt being targeted by defenders who knew how to play against him.[/quote]

And you think Morrison had a good 1st season? I must have missed that. Hughton out

[quote user="Six Pack"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Six Pack"]

.[/quote]Erm, SP, precisely where did I say that Becchio is better than Holt ? I never mentioned him.My mention of the other 3 players was tongue in cheek/sarcasm. Clearly concepts that you are not up to speed with.Perhaps if you got off your high horse you might find more time to keep up.PS...there really do not appear to be many on this thread who are seriously saying it''d be a good idea to bring Holt back. You and one or two others. Kind of tells its own story, doesnt it??[/quote]

my original post:

I did say bring in as 4th striker whoareyou I didn''t say clear the decks & bring him in for the 10 year plan - did I ?

Reggie Strayshun wrote:

To to go along with SP''s idiotic idea, lets bring back Martin, Mc Donald, and Vaughan as well. Come to think about it, Anthony Mc Namee''s not getting a game at present......

"Oh dear. There''s always one, isn''t there?" - your response to my suggesting Holt should be coming in as the 4th striker.

The 4th striker is currently Becchio - everybody knows this - its not debatable - unless some of the youngsters have also overtaken him now. No use cutting out half of my post and putting a "smart-ass" answer to that.

So you make this idiotic statement that there may be a few others that think similar to me - just like your idiotic statement in another thread rubbishing Hoolahan fans that want him to stay - when a poll reveals over 90% of city supporters want Hoolahan to stay.

You appear to be the Frank Spencer of this forum .[/quote]?????? !!!!!!Perhaps someone better qualified than me can translate all that, and explain just wtf SP''s babbling on about anongst all that chaotic gobbledegook there.One bit I can (sort of )make out is his reference to Becchio, but I''m still not entirely clear as to where I mentioned him in my first post.Still...never let the facts get in the way of a good rant, eh, SP ?

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Six Pack"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Six Pack"]

my original post:

Reggie Strayshun wrote:

You appear to be the Frank Spencer of this forum .[/quote]?????? !!!!!!Perhaps someone better qualified than me can translate all that, and explain just wtf SP''s babbling on about anongst all that chaotic gobbledegook there.One bit I can (sort of )make out is his reference to Becchio, but I''m still not entirely clear as to where I mentioned him in my first post.Still...never let the facts get in the way of a good rant, eh, SP ?[/quote]

If you don''t understand what''s been posted - why reply. My original post had nothing to do with you - so mind your own business moron !

[quote user="Thorpe end canary"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]In addition to Hughton''s alleged contribution when assessing Holt''s performances last season, don''t forget that there is a strong second season syndrome for strikers in the Premiership. You can see the reasons for this given that defenders will study videos and work out how to stop them.

I think part of the problem last season was Holt being targeted by defenders who knew how to play against him.[/quote]

And you think Morrison had a good 1st season? I must have missed that. Hughton out[/quote]

Pay more attention then!

they say form is temporary, class is permanent. that phrase could well apply to Grant Holt at most of his career. we had him on form, but was hever consistantly good enough?

I just think if we can''t get a plan A target, for a cheap option that will get momentum flying again, Grant''s your man, he''d come on at 70 minutes to a roaring carrow road and really Fcuk sh!t up!

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I just think if we can''t get a plan A target, for a cheap option that will get momentum flying again, Grant''s your man, he''d come on at 70 minutes to a roaring carrow road and really Fcuk sh!t up![/quote]

Or, he could come on with twenty minutes to go, fall over several times & get booked for arguing with the Ref.