Sign in to follow this  
NWC

Grant Holt for sale

Imagine the lift he''d give everyone coming on with 20 minutes left of a game! I''d compare it to when Henry went back to Arsenal and scored that goal versus Leeds that he rates as one of his greatest moments, scoring whilst playing as a fan.

He''s not coming back here. Even if Hughton got sacked and Lambert came back Holt wouldn''t come back.

As already mentioned, as long as he can take the pay cut/they can afford. He''ll go to Carlisle. He''s lost his edge now unfortunately.

Did someone seriously just compare Holt to Henry????Holt was already getting past his best when he left for Wigan (partly due to Hughton''s style of play IMHO), whereas Henry was still a world class player when Barca signed him.For me Holt wouldn''t be someone I''d want to see back at the club, purely because I don''t think he''s of the standard needed anymore, not to mention that he''d still be stuck playing the same football he hated under Hughton so what would be the point???

Not got enough for the Prem.

Now seems he doesn''t have enough for the Champs.

Get a grip you lot.

Just let me get this straight Indy, I''m a long time reader of this forum and I''ll never forget that you wanted Michael Owen on a "pay as you play" deal last year, and now you would have holt?

I''d have holt back but not on a massive deal, a loan would be ideal. Lots of clubs do this sort of thing.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Did someone seriously just compare Holt to Henry????Holt was already getting past his best when he left for Wigan (partly due to Hughton''s style of play IMHO), whereas Henry was still a world class player when Barca signed him.For me Holt wouldn''t be someone I''d want to see back at the club, purely because I don''t think he''s of the standard needed anymore, not to mention that he''d still be stuck playing the same football he hated under Hughton so what would be the point???[/quote]

Compared the scenarios of their returns to their clubs where they have legendary status.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Holt was already getting past his best when he left for Wigan (partly due to Hughton''s style of play IMHO), whereas Henry was still a world class player when Barca signed him.[/quote]I''m confused. On the one hand you''re saying age was starting to get the better of Holt and then you''re saying that Chris Hughton contributed to that. How does a manager contribute to the effect of the passage of time on a player?

If Holt goes to Carlisle, they might get an extra person through their gates  (I went once a few years ago and swore never again) Would be good to see them rise up a division..............or two.....

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

old overweight and past it....

thats the reality people.

we got rid of him for this reason

[/quote]

Not saying he is still up to this level but we weren''t in any hurry to get rid of him. He definitely wanted out though.

[quote user="lake district canary"]If Holt goes to Carlisle, they might get an extra person through their gates  (I went once a few years ago and swore never again) Would be good to see them rise up a division..............or two.....[/quote]That''s right, Lakey. With GH in tow, Brunton Pk will be welcoming Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool in the blink of an eye.......All this shows how misguided those who were suggesting that the world as we know it would end if Holty left Norfolk really were.I don''t know, some people on here are so stuck in the past that they make the Pennsylvania Dutch+Amish look progressive .

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

old overweight and past it....

thats the reality people.

we got rid of him for this reason

[/quote]Not saying you''re wrong Jas, but I think we heard the same when we went up from League 1, and then again to the PL.An NCFC legend whatever happens.

Curious as to why a PAYP deal for Owen would have been such a terrible idea?

Just to take this thread in a different direction, I''m really sorry that it has not worked out for Holt at Wigan. I hoped his move work give him a couple of seasons in the Champ to score goals and enjoy his football. He earnt an Indian summer.

For those mocking him, I won''t labour the points that at times he singlehandedly took us up the leagues but will reflect that if he is struggling now that is partly due to the battering he took in a Norwich shirt. Like Hucks, he was kicked,elbowed and knocked around and that takes a toll on even a very fit strong man.

[quote user="Buh"]Just let me get this straight Indy, I''m a long time reader of this forum and I''ll never forget that you wanted Michael Owen on a "pay as you play" deal last year, and now you would have holt?

I''d have holt back but not on a massive deal, a loan would be ideal. Lots of clubs do this sort of thing.[/quote]

Last post should have quoted this.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"].

For those mocking him, I won''t labour the points that at times he singlehandedly took us up the leagues but will reflect that if he is struggling now that is partly due to the battering he took in a Norwich shirt. Like Hucks, he was kicked,elbowed and knocked around and that takes a toll on even a very fit strong man.[/quote]Don''t think many are mocking him, Cambs . Certainly not me (though to say he got us out of Lge One singlehandedly is pushing it a bit)But, I am gently mocking those who , as recently as 7 months ago were suggesting the heavens would fall in if GH left us.And, in a parallel to today''s debate, I feel the same about those who are suggesting Hoolahan is irreplaceable.

[quote user="Buh"]Just let me get this straight Indy, I''m a long time reader of this forum and I''ll never forget that you wanted Michael Owen on a "pay as you play" deal last year, and now you would have holt?[/quote]Don''t know where you''ve got that idea from as I clearly stated I would NOT have Holt back.And, yes, I did suggest Owen on a ''pay as you play'' deal, and chances are that it would have cost us virtually nothing whilst giving our younger players some invaluable experience from a top professional who''d played at the highest level for all his career.Really don''t see what the issue is here?

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]I''m confused.[/quote]Clearly...[quote]On the one hand you''re saying age was starting to get the better of Holt and then you''re saying that Chris Hughton contributed to that. How does a manager contribute to the effect of the passage of time on a player?[/quote]1) Holt was arguably already starting to underperform based on his age and general fitness (and no, I''m not starting THAT debate again)2) Holt was being asked to play a role that DID NOT SUIT his style of play, hence why his performances were often less than great as was his attitude at times (This is mainly Hughton''s fault)3) Oddly enough a manager CAN contribute to deterioration of a player if they are not being careful enough regarding their fitness, level of training and other factors which contribute to a players ability to continue performing over time. (I''m certainly NOT suggesting that Hughton is guilty of this however)Does that make it easier for you now?

The reason Grant Holt did not have a greater career is that in truth, he is a bit of a one off.  He plays how he plays and that is it. A fantastic player, in his own way, but not an adaptable footballer in the way a lot of managers like their players.  He always gives 100% and will adapt as asked to if necessary and do a good enough job, but he won''t really excel if you try and coach him - he is what he is and that''s it. 

So to get the best out of Grant Holt you just have to get him on the pitch and let him do his stuff.   The fact that Holt did so well under Lambert is that he was allowed to go on the pitch without too many restrictions.   That is Lambert all over.   Get them on the pitch, get them believing and the rest will take care of itself.  It worked, but as Lambert is now finding out, it is a limited strategy in the face of the modern game, because unless you have the best players to start with, it is not sustainable.   So Grant Holt was lucky to get Lambert and Lambert was lucky to get Holt (bought by Bryan Gunn, lest we forget).   Holt is best going to somewhere like Carlisle where he will probably score twenty a season for the next couple of seasons.

As always we should wish him luck, as he is an NCFC legend, without a doubt.