Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Weathering the storm and good tactics.

It happens a lot in tennis.  You get a player against you that gets into a way of playing that is unstoppable.  You just have to hang in there until his level drops - then take advantage.  That is what happened today at Everton.  They were pretty much an unstoppable force - which we weathered to the extent of keeping it to 1-0.   The second goal was the killer, but their level did drop.  They ran out of steam - Hughton made a good change in bringing Redmond on and suddenly we looked like the better side - and it nearly worked.  Hit the post, looked more likely to score. That is how we beat WBA - weathering the home team''s "storm" and catching them with some good play to score two goals.  It is how things are going to be until we can upgrade further - or at least get back our injured players who would have been key at this time imo (Bennett, Tettey, Pilks and Howson).  So we had better get used to it.  I don''t think any manager could come in and change what other teams will do to us with the players we have - we simply have to be resilient, keep our composure and then strike when the opportunity rises.  Again that is what we did against WBA and tried to do today.  So I thought Hughton was brave today with his team selection and made the right choices during.   Redmond on at the right time.  Murphy was brought on really for match day experience I believe, as the match was all but done.  No team can press for 90 minutes - no team can attack for 90 minutes either as shown today.  Everton did all their hard work to get the lead then had to sit back - and on another day we might have got something. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]It happens a lot in tennis.  You get a player against you that gets into a way of playing that is unstoppable.  You just have to hang in there until his level drops - then take advantage. 

That is what happened today at Everton.  They were pretty much an unstoppable force - which we weathered to the extent of keeping it to 1-0.   The second goal was the killer, but their level did drop.  They ran out of steam - Hughton made a good change in bringing Redmond on and suddenly we looked like the better side - and it nearly worked.  Hit the post, looked more likely to score.

That is how we beat WBA - weathering the home team''s "storm" and catching them with some good play to score two goals.  It is how things are going to be until we can upgrade further - or at least get back our injured players who would have been key at this time imo (Bennett, Tettey, Pilks and Howson). 

So we had better get used to it.  I don''t think any manager could come in and change what other teams will do to us with the players we have - we simply have to be resilient, keep our composure and then strike when the opportunity rises.  Again that is what we did against WBA and tried to do today. 

So I thought Hughton was brave today with his team selection and made the right choices during.   Redmond on at the right time.  Murphy was brought on really for match day experience I believe, as the match was all but done. 

No team can press for 90 minutes - no team can attack for 90 minutes either as shown today.  Everton did all their hard work to get the lead then had to sit back - and on another day we might have got something. 

[/quote]

Oh FFS!

Same s hite from Lakey but just put in a different bucket.

Lakey you really need a new script writer.

There is a lot of sense in what you say LDC, but the team selection was wrong IMO. Chosing to start Whittacker and Snodgrass was asking for trouble based on their recent "form", and playing two up front was brave. Albeit we are missing the services of four first-choice midfield players - Pilkington, Tettey, Howson and Bennett, so I''d give the manager a pass with the exception of those two choices - I''d have played Martin and Redmond, but would like to be able to play this team :

Ruddy

Martin R.Bennett Bassong Olssen

Tettey Fer

E.Bennett Howson Pilkington

RvW

We made them look like an unstoppable force through our own poor play. There wasn''t much to be positive today.

No idea if the OP went today or even attends games, sat here on the train heading back from Liverpool I can say with clear conscience your are completely and utterly full of crap.

It was yet another timid performance, tactically inept and made Everton look outstanding which, hand on heart, they are not.

You carry on giving it ''the big one'' as I honestly believe the majority of supporters who do just that, support, are more than ready for the Chief Exec to act

Actually yes, the Yellas on the train all agree

How is the keyboard?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Same s hite from Lakey but just put in a different bucket.[/quote]Sick or Stool (both would suit some of his current posts)...

You talk utter sh!te LDC post after post,day after day,week after week,month after month.Just FCUK off  and open your eyes you bell-end!

You have to give LDC some credit for at least getting a reaction. He has to be a binner? Yes. That''s it. He lives in Chantry and smiles quietly to himself everytime we all react.

God bless you LDC. Tell us again how good we are. It all helps...

[quote user="Marc Libbras haircut"]Absoloute drivel from someone who clearly knows nothing about football.

Must just be the enjoyment of playing devils advocate.[/quote]I know what I see and you can put three perspectives on today''s match.  You can either say we were poor or Everton were very good or even we were poor and they were good.   The truth is that they were better than us today, that is all.As usual, some prefer to just see us as being "rubbish" without trying to see the overall picture.  I''m no expert. All I have done here is put what I saw into words.  An Everton team - very strong, especially down the left where Snodgrass had a difficult match trying to keep up with Baines, who once on a roll, kept going.  But they ran out of steam - they were bound to. They got their goals, fair enough, but they did run out of steam, take their foot off the pedal - however you want to put it.  So that was our opportunity to get back into the match - and we nearly did through Snodgrass.  Bringing on Redmond to boost the attack was done at the right time to make the most of Everton''s tiring players.   If we had got that goal back I would have fancied us to go on and score again and maybe get a point.  Its very fine margins.   So you can call it drivel or whatever you like, but I know what I saw.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Marc Libbras haircut"]Absoloute drivel from someone who clearly knows nothing about football.

Must just be the enjoyment of playing devils advocate.[/quote]I know what I see and you can put three perspectives on today''s match.  You can either say we were poor or Everton were very good or even we were poor and they were good.   The truth is that they were better than us today, that is all.As usual, some prefer to just see us as being "rubbish" without trying to see the overall picture.  I''m no expert. All I have done here is put what I saw into words.  An Everton team - very strong, especially down the left where Snodgrass had a difficult match trying to keep up with Baines, who once on a roll, kept going.  But they ran out of steam - they were bound to. They got their goals, fair enough, but they did run out of steam, take their foot off the pedal - however you want to put it.  So that was our opportunity to get back into the match - and we nearly did through Snodgrass.  Bringing on Redmond to boost the attack was done at the right time to make the most of Everton''s tiring players.   If we had got that goal back I would have fancied us to go on and score again and maybe get a point.  Its very fine margins.   So you can call it drivel or whatever you like, but I know what I saw. I know what I saw too. I just hadn''t taken any hallucination inducing drugs before I watched it! You must have a proper dealer fella!

[/quote]

[quote user="lake district canary"]So you can call it drivel or whatever you like, but I know what I saw.[/quote]And therein lies the problem - I don''t think you actually DO know what you saw, because it''s nothing like what 95% of the rest of us happened to see...

Hughton is a very stubborn manager. He believes that the team that he sets out will do a job, or will eventually do a job regardless of how we are playing. He has said it before, '' I didn''t change it because I thought the team

I picked could do the job''. I do question what game he is watching at some point.

Anyway, on to today. We went 2-0 down, and he waited 10 minutes to bring Redmond on. Why!!?! He should have brought him on straight away. He fails to act quick enough, and I believe that this has probably lost us points already this season - failing to act, when needed.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lake district canary"]So you can call it drivel or whatever you like, but I know what I saw.[/quote]And therein lies the problem - I don''t think you actually DO know what you saw, because it''s nothing like what 95% of the rest of us happened to see...[/quote]If you had been to or remember the home match against Everton, you will know that they are a real handful and have the majority of possession in most matches they play.   At home they are a force to be reckoned with and we simply couldn''t hold them back today.  However, you could see that Hooper and RVW will score goals on their day and we know that with Howson back, with Pilks Benno and Tettey back we will be stronger in midfield.  That is why I keep going on about keeping your nerve/perspective or whatever you want to call it. Some people like to rant and that is their right, but I like to see a balanced view - if I can - fair enough if 95% of the rest of you saw it differently - I am in the minority.  I''m not here to be popular, I''m here to say how I see things.

What would be nice to see if Norwich coming out of the starting blocks with all guns firing. We rarely see it, and the usual formula is "to weather the storm"The disappointment is, Norwich''s defense hasn''t been as good this season, and we are usually go a goal down. And add that to, we''ve got one of the worst goalscoring records, is always going to put us under tremendous pressure.Perhaps for a change, Hughton could try firing them up to come out and try putting the other team under pressure, then we wouldn''t have to "weather the storm". It''s basic schoolboy tactics, that apply at any level.

[quote user="Samwam27"]What would be nice to see if Norwich coming out of the starting blocks with all guns firing. We rarely see it, and the usual formula is "to weather the storm"The disappointment is, Norwich''s defense hasn''t been as good this season, and we are usually go a goal down. And add that to, we''ve got one of the worst goalscoring records, is always going to put us under tremendous pressure.Perhaps for a change, Hughton could try firing them up to come out and try putting the other team under pressure, then we wouldn''t have to "weather the storm". It''s basic schoolboy tactics, that apply at any level.

[/quote]

I agree with you.  I do think though, that both teams will come out all guns blazing, but one team will nearly always get the upper hand more or less straight away.  More often than not, away from home it will be the home team - as it was today.  Once in that situation you just have to hang in there and wait your opportunity.  At WBA we took our chances, today we didn''t.    At home you would hope it would be us that gets the upper hand, but that doesn''t happen as often as we would like - that is something we need to improve on.   Your second point about our defence is true to a point, but  it has improved in the last seven games compared to the previous seven games when we had those bad tonkings.   So imo its not all bad - but we do need to get more goals, that everyone can agree on. 

Our defence has improved tremendously and that was illustrated today where we only conceded 2 instead of 5 or 7. Once the new signings have gelled and we have no injuries and we only face teams with 8 or 9 players I am sure results will improve in a massive way...although we will still score only 1 goal and then sit back and try and cling on for a result..