Sign in to follow this  

If Hughton was sacked.

The new guy would still have the same squad. What if they are the problem?

Well first there would be a massive celebration :-)

And if he''s really lucky he''ll get Howson, Tettey, Pilkington and Bennett back on the field too. The full squad when fit is probably perfectly O.K to stay up, this currently available squad is marginal, maybe especially so the way CH picks and sets up the team.

Aside from a few positions where injuries have hit hard (cm and wings) I think the squad is fine. The problem is if we had a fully fit squad i wouldn''t have a clue what formation and team he would pick - does Hughton even know what he would picked? I just don''t think he is getting enough from the squad

I am totally convinced we have a good squad that has been restricted by these unbelievably poor tactics.

Even Adams drafted in as a temp would see a massive improvement all round.

The players are like robots. There is no connection with the crowd. There is no self expression. There is no discernible joy in their play.

Simply the three coaches must be kicked out on Monday. They have been given enough chances. Does any member of the City board know what they are trying to achieve on the football pitch? Cos I damned if I do!

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]I am totally convinced we have a good squad that has been restricted by these unbelievably poor tactics.

Even Adams drafted in as a temp would see a massive improvement all round.

The players are like robots. There is no connection with the crowd. There is no self expression. There is no discernible joy in their play.

Simply the three coaches must be kicked out on Monday. They have been given enough chances. Does any member of the City board know what they are trying to achieve on the football pitch? Cos I damned if I do![/quote]

Well said.

" Aside from a few positions where injuries have hit hard (cm and wings) "

Well T.B.H after all the discussion about our lack of service to the striker(s), those injuries seem to me to be a critical problem...

[quote user="Surfer"]" Aside from a few positions where injuries have hit hard (cm and wings) "

Well T.B.H after all the discussion about our lack of service to the striker(s), those injuries seem to me to be a critical problem...[/quote]Exactly.But this fact is dismissed as just an excuse by some people.

[quote user="Surfer"]" Aside from a few positions where injuries have hit hard (cm and wings) "

Well T.B.H after all the discussion about our lack of service to the striker(s), those injuries seem to me to be a critical problem...[/quote]Exactly.But this fact is dismissed as just an excuse by some people.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Surfer"]" Aside from a few positions where injuries have hit hard (cm and wings) "

Well T.B.H after all the discussion about our lack of service to the striker(s), those injuries seem to me to be a critical problem...[/quote]Exactly.But this fact is dismissed as just an excuse by some people.[/quote]

Yeah I mean he wasn''t to know there would be injuries, when does that ever happen?

[quote user="Liquidator"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Surfer"]" Aside from a few positions where injuries have hit hard (cm and wings) "

Well T.B.H after all the discussion about our lack of service to the striker(s), those injuries seem to me to be a critical problem...[/quote]Exactly.But this fact is dismissed as just an excuse by some people.[/quote]

Yeah I mean he wasn''t to know there would be injuries, when does that ever happen?[/quote]So you''re dismissing it as a factor then?It doesn''t help, does it?Elliot Bennet looked excellent at the start of the season, and when Pilkington is fit, he is one of our most important players. Tettey is a huge miss just now, as well as Howson.I just don''t understand how people don''t see these players being missing as not being an issue.

How can you think injuries to players is our only problem??

Are you serious?!

For example today our two strikers upfront. Our best strike force couldn''t manage a goal and kept getting in each others way. Piss poor tactics and management have got us in this state

As Martinez and Moyes have shown taking over two very good squads the manager has a lot more impact on performance than you give credit for. Moyes for example is making it look even more of an achievement what Fergie achieved with United. Martinez is doing great things with a Squad built by someone else that was developed mainly in a defensive set up that have flourished under the freedom to play a more expansive game. I believe we have a good squad if not the deepest but i also believe the right man could get a lot more form it than its currently showing

" How can you think injuries to players is our only problem?? Are you serious?! "

Well not to speak for anyone else, but who said that injuries were the only problem? I have many issues with who CH picks in the team, but it''s incredible IMO to dismiss them as not being a critical issue ...

Injuries are part of the game, every team will suffer from them and can not be used as a excuse for our poor form.

[quote user="InchY_Van_Cureton."]The new guy would still have the same squad. What if they are the problem?[/quote]

management style, people handling/man management - people do it differentlywe need a harry redknapp type capable of making average/half decent players play out of their skins, yknow, like the last manager we had didim starting to swing towards neil lennon, i dont think he would come here though

Morty, I think no one can dispute that we''ve had killer injuries which have meant the likes of Tettey, Pilkington, RVW, Howson and E. Bennett have been out for long periods of time. In particular I am worried out Howson, whose name I didn''t even hear mentioned in terms of being in contention for the Everton game.

It is very unlucky and frustrating because we saw against Stoke and Chelsea what the midfield trio of Fer, Tettey and Howson can bring to the party. However, I think there is a danger it the injuries can be used as an excuse. A lot of teams are struggling with injuries.

West Ham have done without the likes of Andy Carroll and Winston Reid for long periods who would have been massive players for them this season. Swansea currently have 9 first teamers out injured including the likes of Vorm, Michu,Canas and Dyer. Villa have lost the likes of Benteke, Kozak and Vlaar for long spells as well.

Injuries are part and parcel of the game. The question is then whether your manager is creative enough in his selections to get around this problem or if he has planned well enough with his squad depth to get around this problem. I am not convinced Hughton has done either.

Hughton needs to go regardless. As for the squad, I''m not convinced the players are actually good enough. That''s why it''s important to shift Hughton now and get someone in with good contacts and hopefully bring in 2/3 players in before the window shuts.

Hughton obviously struggles to attract players. We''ve been rejected on numerous occasions.

I''m sure we can do more to create more chances for the strikers, but both had chances yesterday, not easy ones sure, but a heavy touch from Hooper, and Van Wolfswinkel would have got that in if he was on form - he''s missed a lot of matches, plus on top of the lack of confidence generally.

And Swansea, West Ham, Villa would expect to be better off than they area, rather than on a similar position to us points wise.

Injuries play their part, and ours have done too.

I still think Bassong''s early injuries, and changes of partners, has meant he hasn''t really hit commanding form either.

As our squad is perhaps more limited than those you list it could be argued it hits us more than them.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Surfer"]" Aside from a few positions where injuries have hit hard (cm and wings) " Well T.B.H after all the discussion about our lack of service to the striker(s), those injuries seem to me to be a critical problem...[/quote]

Exactly.

But this fact is dismissed as just an excuse by some people.
[/quote]

Or used as a crutch by others![^o)]

I think by drawing parallels with Moyes and Martinez taking over at their respective clubs also shows how important a managers general mentality and/or outlook is to the game.

Fergie instilled a belief that they were unstoppable united and that''s how they became champs - Moyes, has popped that bubble very much like Hughton has done here (IMO).

Martinez on the other hand has done the opposite at Everton, and look at the effect it''s had. It''s not just a good squad v bad squad comparison that''s going on there, the turn in both clubs since changing managers has been immense.

Being a huge fan of Lamberts, I always struggled that his ethic was that it was a job being a professional footballer, and that when you''re on that field you''re doing a job and getting paid for it.

As a fan, you almost want all the players to be at your club because they love it, the area and the fans etc.... But as time went on, I think it''s clear that his mantra wasn''t just that, the important part was, yes it''s a job, but under me you do it with absolute pride. Somewhere in there he also made them feel as one and made them happy to give their all for him. German efficiency no doubt!! ;)

Maybe this is harsh, but I get the impression that for CH he expects the players to do a ''job'', and that''s where it stops. So, for me, hughtons reign has never just been about the wrong tactics, or the wrong selection, it goes far deeper than that.

Trouble is, don''t know how he can turn it around without leaving, a change of backroom staff would help him no end as they''re all from the same mentality, but there''s no way he would make a change so bold.

Is it really a coincidence that Becchio, RvW and Holt (all goal scorers previously) couldn''t hit a burning bridge with an AIM-9 heat seeking* missile since playing under Hughton?!!

* Actually, it''s an Infrared homing guidance system, but that didn''t sound as snappy.

It is not and excuse.. It is a fact that this game is sometimes about the luck and our current "form" is quite much about having too thin team to compete.

And in my opinion our form isn''t even that bad. We could have won ManU we could have drawn Fulham and we could have won CP. Only small margins mostly late at the game made us take only 1 point from these 3 games.

Everton was clearly better team yesterday and with only 1 loss this season it was no wonder we didnt take any points there.

[quote user="Lavanche"]It is not and excuse.. It is a fact that this game is sometimes about the luck and our current "form" is quite much about having too thin team to compete.

And in my opinion our form isn''t even that bad. We could have won ManU we could have drawn Fulham and we could have won CP. Only small margins mostly late at the game made us take only 1 point from these 3 games.

Everton was clearly better team yesterday and with only 1 loss this season it was no wonder we didnt take any points there.[/quote]

I will counter your could have with we didn''t. Doesn''t matter what you could have got in games. All that matters is we didn''t get results in them games. We haven''t won in 6 games most of which are against teams around us, that''s not bad form?

I could have won the lottery last night. But i didn''t...

[quote user="Jimbo_Canary"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Surfer"]" Aside from a few positions where injuries have hit hard (cm and wings) " Well T.B.H after all the discussion about our lack of service to the striker(s), those injuries seem to me to be a critical problem...[/quote]Exactly.But this fact is dismissed as just an excuse by some people.[/quote]

Or used as a crutch by others![^o)]

[/quote]It is?Point me out where I, or anyone, has said that all our problems are purely because of injuries please.Saying it isn''t an issue is plain daft.

The point was that we werent playing bad football and at the end luck plays quite big part in this game.

Those injuries hurt our tactical possibilities quite much as our chance to get fresh legs in the field when we need them.