Sign in to follow this  
Lord Horne

With only 20 points what are our real chances of survival !

We have as much chance as any of the other teams from 10th place down. Unfortunately though we are hampered by a manager that in football terms is a coward.

With 20 points from 21 games we just about on target for survival points at the moment, but our problem will be the last four games, when we''ll need to be ahead of the game - that means we need to get ahead of points/games in the next 10 games, but we can''t afford slip ups for the ''winnable'' games - which wasn''t Everton away necessarily but are the Hull type matches.

The good news is that out of teams in the bottom 12 we have only lost to Villa, Hull and Fulham and a win off 10th position.

The bad news is that we have now only won 9 times in our last 42 league games under Hughton and scored twice or more in only 13 / 59 of his games. We also have 8 point less now than we did at this stage under Lambert''s Prem season and 5 less than last season.

Your view on survival depends on whether you are an optimist or a pessimist!

If we sign Jonas G, a pacy number 10 and a combative midfielder I think we will be ok.

Houghton will start to attack when it gets dicey like he did last year.

Its now the 12th Jan he is staying and i would think signings are already in the pipeline.

There are a few teams that can go down this season.

Hull: home games mainly against the top 9, away games against the bottom six

Swansea: still in the ropey league

Then there are the teams currently in the bottom five

Palace: no home games left against the other bottom 5 but 4 away games

Sunderland: bottom at christmas, yesterday was their first win against a bottom half team

Cardiff: still in a mess following the sacking of malky and lost to a poor WHU team

Wet Sham: injuries abound and overpriced carroll their only hope for goals

fulham: the only team to have conceded more goals than us this season.

you can make arguments for all of the teams in the bottom 11 (there''s only 6 points between them all)

I would say that we are still significantly more likely to stay up than go down - say 80%, but we must start winning the obvious games. The Fulham result, in particular, was very poor and we can''t afford repetitions of this. I am rather nervous about the Hull game!

I would say that we are still significantly more likely to stay up than go down - say 80%, but we must start winning the obvious games. The Fulham result, in particular, was very poor and we can''t afford repetitions of this.

I am rather nervous about the Hull game!

I agree - we need to win the Hull game - Jan is about winning home matches, Feb is about not losing the away ones, March back to the home matches. I''m breaking down each month and thinking of the small targets - the squad needs to have the same mentality. I think this is what Hughton is doing. If we panic about the ifs and buts over the next 17 you can get bogged down confidence wise.