Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Took a break from the message boards last night

Because my frustration at the current managerial regime is such that I think it''s bordering on unhealthy. Hughton may be a nice bloke but I am really starting to despise the way he and his two sidekicks have sucked the enjoyment out of watching our club and replaced it with a mixture of boredom and frustration.

His pre match comments made it very clear how we were going to play yesterday. Drop off them, sit deep and play for a draw. Forget two up front. It''s a red herring. You can play 4-4-2 negatively or positively just as you can with any other formation. What makes the difference is whether the players sent out there are allowed to express themselves and press up the pitch or whether they are made yo play the timid, negative stuff that we play. Yesterday had spurs away written all over it and that is sheet happened. Yes both spurs and Everton are decent sides, well capable of beating us at home. However the way we approach these games makes it a stroll for teams and makes them look like world beaters.

A draw is a good result. These are a quality side. It''s difficult l

to close them down in all areas. Bigger and better clubs. Everything that comes from the mans mouth implies an inferiority complex in relation to most teams in this division. He talked this week like we were a minnow off yo Goodison in the FA Cup. This is our manager for gods sake.The man is sucking the life out of the club.

It''s now gone on for so long I am resigned to no change. A scrappy win over Hull will keep us just about afloat and ensure he stays on beyond the end of this month after which it''s hard to see a change being made. He may, may, just scrape safety if we get a bit of luck and win our easier home games. If he foes though it''s not success in my eyes. It''s achieving the least that this squad of players should be capable of.

Logically think it through;

Are players meeting their potential, or even improving, training on?

Who is responsible for the coaching staff?

If you were doing his quarterly assessment what would you say?

I am fed up with it too. Lost all confidence in the management and the way ch approaches games. I really do fear for relegation now, because I just can''t see any fight on the pitch nor inventiveness by the manager tactically. This is not the reaction to a defeat at Everton but at a season full of frustration

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]I am fed up with it too. Lost all confidence in the management and the way ch approaches games. I really do fear for relegation now, because I just can''t see any fight on the pitch nor inventiveness by the manager tactically. This is not the reaction to a defeat at Everton but at a season full of frustration[/quote]

The only fight shown on the pitch was between our own players! It is clearly not a happy camp. RVW in particular looks like a new kid at school who hasn''t made any friends.

[quote user="Andrew Spanton"]I am fed up with it too. .[/quote]There are two aspects to this "being fed up".Firstly, this message board. Yes, I too had sat through the game, spent an hour or so venting my spleen on here, digesting some of the sensible comments, and the ludicrous ones from the ever dwindling band of percy positives. Then the phone rang, and some friends suggested a meal at the local Chinese. It seemed like a good idea then, and although the food was mediocre at best, it was an inspired idea, as, much longer on here would have driven me mad.Secondly, the club /team. Despite what one particular idiot on here would have you believe I am amongst the 99% of posters who do not "run down the team and fans". We have stuck with the side(and in many cases, the management) in a manner that is way above and beyond the call of duty. But it is becoming harder by the week to see any way of extricating ourselves from the unholy mess the club finds itself in. At present, the only crumb of comfort is that so many other teams are equally inept as us. My main concern is that if (and I know it''s a big IF) some of these teams can cobble together a run of form, we really could get cut adrift. The time/opportunity to change the manager was not taken by the board when it was right to do so (imho after the Liverpool fiasco). There is a feeling in me that whilst I DO want a new management team, it may well be too late, not least because the new man will not have the time left in the window to bring in satisfactory reinforcements. I honestly do not know what the answer is, but perhaps others may be able to put a clearer , less emotional slant on the question, now that the initial disappointment of yesterday''s no-show has worn off.

I agree with all this and the OP just reflected my feelings.

Like you Reggie I wanted these clowns out a long time ago. I am shocked that the board appear to be sitting on their hands. It is like the old days prior to the Bowkett/McNally revolution and it is becoming scary.

If the board have someone in mind they must go for him as there is no justification in keeping the status quo. I maintain these players can easily get us out of this mess with a decent manager and coaches and without adding to the squad.

I fear the board are split and this would be bad news. Whatever happens now, this has been gut wrenching

When Hughton got the job, I thought at first that he probably doesnt know very much about the club or the playing squad he inherited. I felt he was unlikely to have paid much attention to the rise of the club through the divisions or seen much of our premier league season, as he had no previous connections to the club. I felt, like most pundits who talked b*ll*cks about us without having seen us play, he would instantly dismiss us. He allegedly watched those DVDs and then decided to completely change the football philosophy which our success had been built on. He decided to try and make the players we had play in a way which they had not been bought for and to which they were not well suited. I felt at the time that he walked into the club and instantly thought ''not good enough''. He got us playing with fear of the opposition and defending for our lives because that was his view of the job he had taken on. Norwich are football minnows he thought, we can only ever play with our backs to the wall. I thought this was an indictment of the mainly championship players he had inherited and that Lambert had got the best out of, but now I see, after having spent millions on his players, this is his indictment of the club. We will forever be little old Norwich in Chris hughtons ''tottenham are a real club'' mind and backs to the wall football is all he''ll ever think we''re capable of. God forbid he light a fire under his players, tell them how good they are and give them the confidence to do their thing. No, you play for Norwich, we should just be happy to be here. Go out there and try not to embarrass yourselves, you''re up against quality opposition at a big club you cant hope to compete with them. The football we have now is because of Hughton''s derision for the club. Time for someone who fought for this club? Time for Malky? Someone who understands the pride of pulling on a yellow shirt? Someone who can instill belief in the players that they are not inferior to the rest of the division? I am tired of us being Chris hughtons embarrassment

Surprised my rant didnt get more comments having realised how much of a contrast it was to what id said the previous night about supporting the team. Not sure what got into me there. Didnt mean to have quite such a rant. I do want a change of manager, but I think it has to wait til the summer now, but cant see it happening at all

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]When Hughton got the job, I thought at first that he probably doesnt know very much about the club or the playing squad he inherited. I felt he was unlikely to have paid much attention to the rise of the club through the divisions or seen much of our premier league season, as he had no previous connections to the club. I felt, like most pundits who talked b*ll*cks about us without having seen us play, he would instantly dismiss us. He allegedly watched those DVDs and then decided to completely change the football philosophy which our success had been built on. He decided to try and make the players we had play in a way which they had not been bought for and to which they were not well suited. I felt at the time that he walked into the club and instantly thought ''not good enough''. He got us playing with fear of the opposition and defending for our lives because that was his view of the job he had taken on. Norwich are football minnows he thought, we can only ever play with our backs to the wall. I thought this was an indictment of the mainly championship players he had inherited and that Lambert had got the best out of, but now I see, after having spent millions on his players, this is his indictment of the club. We will forever be little old Norwich in Chris hughtons ''tottenham are a real club'' mind and backs to the wall football is all he''ll ever think we''re capable of. God forbid he light a fire under his players, tell them how good they are and give them the confidence to do their thing. No, you play for Norwich, we should just be happy to be here. Go out there and try not to embarrass yourselves, you''re up against quality opposition at a big club you cant hope to compete with them. The football we have now is because of Hughton''s derision for the club. Time for someone who fought for this club? Time for Malky? Someone who understands the pride of pulling on a yellow shirt? Someone who can instill belief in the players that they are not inferior to the rest of the division? I am tired of us being Chris hughtons embarrassment[/quote]If i remember rightly, didn''t he take the job then F off on holiday for a few weeks before starting? Hardly getting to know the squad he inherited

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Did he??

That''s the final straw then!

Were all the players on holiday too[:^)]

[/quote]True. Holiday is acceptable. Wouldn''t put it as final straw though as it happened at the start. More the mashed potato on the shepherds pie. He could have got in the office and whipped the tea ladies into shape before the squad came back