Sign in to follow this  
Tim Dawson

Refereeing standard, dreadful? Mike Jones on box now

Anyone else notice some dreadful decisions yesterday from our ref Kevin Friend?

Also that idiot Mike Jones making a right mess of the Newcastle v Man City game as we speak.

These guys are paid approx 70,000 grand a year ( Mike Dean is a neighbour so i do know) plus bonuses, is it unreasonable to expect they should be doing a far better job than they do

Not as straight forward as is being made out!

Under modern interpretations the goal should have stood, however has the player interfered by being in the very position that the ball has travelled through?

What is line of Vision? Only straight ahead?

Does Hart not dive, because he sees the player there and does not know:

a) He is offside and cannot touch the ball or

b) He isn''t offside and is going to try and redirect the ball.

The question might be, was Hart''s decision making influenced by Gouffran?

If it was then he has clearly interfered with play and rightly given offside.  I feel modern interpretation has only created more problems than before.  But hey that is what the TV companies and Marketing people want as it generates talking points and keeps the game being discussed.

It is all about the product and how they can sell it.

Snake

Daft rule anyway. Three Newcastle players closer to the keeper than any defender when the shot came in... we got stitched up at Sunderland over one of those "not interfering with play" calls didn''t we ?

Jones seemed to lose the plot afterwards as he bottled a couple of 2nd yellows and despite the fact I dislike Nasri that tackle that put him on a stretcher was undoubtedly a red card. Or 3 seperate yellows in one tackle!!

Still.. always a pleasure seeing the Geordie toys flying around their prams[;)]

[quote user="snake-eyes"]

Agreed Spartacus!

Wow £70k a year, for that we must have perfection!

[/quote]

To err is human. You''re never going to get perfection.

The refereeing had been noticeably poor this season though. The decisions they''ve been getting wrong aren''t the ones where there''s an element of opinion or discretion on the referees part. It''s the absolute offences like the Chamakh incident or today''s offside goal for Newcastle where the decisions are just baffling.

QH I was being sarcastic!

I agree that I actually believe decisions are getting worse, but part of this is messing about with rule interpretations to placate angry managers or to increase excitement, lack of direction to book or send off players who verbally abuse them and a lack of accountability for poor performances.

Increase their pay considerably, but also introduce incentivising good refereeing?

Snake

Apologies. It''s always hard to see sarcasm on the internet.

I''d like to see refs made to account for their bad decisions. They''re far too protected by the FA if you ask me. I think you''d see an improvement in their standards if they knew they''d face a grilling in a post March interview.

I know they get relegated to championship games if they chick up, but there''s no real incentive to do a good job.

Supposedly refs are assessed from the stands, but the most punishment they ever get is maybe rested for a game, why dont they drop them a division and give them a pay cut for constant poor performances?

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]Anyone else notice some dreadful decisions yesterday from our ref Kevin Friend?

Also that idiot Mike Jones making a right mess of the Newcastle v Man City game as we speak.

These guys are paid approx 70,000 grand a year ( Mike Dean is a neighbour so i do know) plus bonuses, is it unreasonable to expect they should be doing a far better job than they do[/quote]Apart from wondering:1) whether we perhaps should play with Murphy and Redmond from the start next time2) why the tactical geniuses behind me who thought Lambert would have been playing with four strikers didn''t go the whole hog and suggest playing with 10 or even 11,3) what "the people''s club" actually meansthe main thing I came away with from yesterday''s match was wondering how much Everton had paid the ref. Some shocking decisions.

70 Grand per year ? I''ve no idea what those next door to me earn.By the way, Mike Jones was the ref last season when we played Arsenal way,you know the one, we were robbed coz he took the word of the linesman when he was no more the 10 foot away from the incident to give a penalty.

Pay them correctly ??? Mike Dean has a villa in Turkey and a 5 bedroom detached house, how correctly do you imagine they need paying ???

And now Stoke seem to be suffering from a ref supporting the bigger club

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]Pay them correctly ??? Mike Dean has a villa in Turkey and a 5 bedroom detached house, how correctly do you imagine they need paying ???

And now Stoke seem to be suffering from a ref supporting the bigger club[/quote]

When you look at how much money is flying around in football these days then 70k isn''t that much to be paying someone who is integral to the game. The problem is that we don''t appear to be getting value for money for those wages.

It''s the same with MPs. I don''t think the wages are high for what they''re supposed to be doing, but they aren''t doing a particularly good job. Pay peanuts...

TBF, the MPs'' salary question is a complex one. If you paid them double what they get now though, would you get people doing it for the money? But if they were paid more, the expenses office wouldn''t have nodded through the previous shambles on the quiet. I really don''t get arguments to drive what they claim down to a minimum though. These people run the country, are often required to attend work till the small hours in London and they should live in Travellodges and stand up in cattle class with the rest of us?

snake-eyes wrote the following post at Jan 12, 2014 11:15 PM:

Not as straight forward as is being made out!

Under modern interpretations the goal should have stood, however has the player interfered by being in the very position that the ball has travelled through?

What is line of Vision? Only straight ahead?

Does Hart not dive, because he sees the player there and does not know:

a) He is offside and cannot touch the ball or

b) He isn''t offside and is going to try and redirect the ball.

The question might be, was Hart''s decision making influenced by Gouffran?

If it was then he has clearly interfered with play and rightly given offside. I feel modern interpretation has only created more problems than before. But hey that is what the TV companies and Marketing people want as it generates talking points and keeps the game being discussed.

Watching the game on tv here, Pardew waited for the referee at half time and said to him "The linesman was right and you got it wrong". There was no way the linesman could see from his position whether the Newcastle player was interfering with play, rather if I was in that position and saw the player move to avoid the ball, I might believe that he was interfering. The referee had to make a judgement as to whether Hart was influenced by three Newcastle players in offside positions. Ref didn''t have the luxury of analyzing the situation on replay. In my opinion he made a correct decision.

I thought that it was weak of the referee spokesman to give an official view that it should have been a goal.

If this is the case, DO AWAY WITH OFFSIDE!

" The referee had to make a judgement as to whether Hart was influenced by three Newcastle players in offside positions. "

A very relevant point, with all the focus on Gouffran, is it really believable that all THREE players were not interfering with play?