Sign in to follow this  
crabbycanary

A new winger?

Someone was telling me yesterday, that we are in the hunt for a new winger? Just pre transfer window talk at this stage, or has Hughton categorically stated this?

If so, I see that Aiden McGeady wants to come back to the UK, and play in the Prem.

If we are on the look out for one, would he be a very good one to get?

Not sure we definately need one now, Murphy has stepped up to the mark, Redmond has a decent bit of football under him now and our 3 senior wingers will all be coming back in January. I''d be tempted to make an exception for McGeady though.

I think it would be crazy to sign another winger we have many players who can do a job there not to mention the fact that I am beginning to think the only way Hughton can set up a team to play in a manner I approve of is if we only play 1.

We don''t have a target man.

We need another ball playing central Midfielder either a carbon copy of Fer or one that is slightly more attack minded.

Snodgrass, Bennett, Redmond,Pilkington, Murphy, Olsson and Whittaker would also not be out of place going forward.

No more wingers please !

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Someone was telling me yesterday, that we are in the hunt for a new winger? Just pre transfer window talk at this stage, or has Hughton categorically stated this? [/quote]

Hughton confirmed on Friday City have funds available as they weigh

up whether to bring in fresh faces following a record summer transfer

outlay.

“Perhaps one area that we knew just before the last

window we wanted to do something was in wide midfield positions,” he

said. “We have had Nathan (Redmond) and Josh and Jacob (Murphy) pushing

for places with the other lads out injured but we will only do business

if we can improve our squad. The club have been very ambitious in

everything they have done and there will be a facility to bring in

players if we want to do it but it is not a question of whether the

finances are in place but whether we think it is right.

“We probably spent the biggest amount this club

has ever spent (in the summer) but we are conscious in this climate and

this division other clubs are spending that and more. If you want to be

challenging, if you want to be in the best position to win football

matches you have to keep investing.”

Link

[quote user=" Zak Van Cartman"][quote user="crabbycanary"]Someone was telling me yesterday, that we are in the hunt for a new winger? Just pre transfer window talk at this stage, or has Hughton categorically stated this? [/quote]

Hughton confirmed on Friday City have funds available as they weigh up whether to bring in fresh faces following a record summer transfer outlay.

“Perhaps one area that we knew just before the last window we wanted to do something was in wide midfield positions,” he said. “We have had Nathan (Redmond) and Josh and Jacob (Murphy) pushing for places with the other lads out injured but we will only do business if we can improve our squad. The club have been very ambitious in everything they have done and there will be a facility to bring in players if we want to do it but it is not a question of whether the finances are in place but whether we think it is right.

“We probably spent the biggest amount this club has ever spent (in the summer) but we are conscious in this climate and this division other clubs are spending that and more. If you want to be challenging, if you want to be in the best position to win football matches you have to keep investing.”

Link

[/quote]

I find that quote interesting - as he is talking about last window but never says if there is still interest in that position this coming window. I suppose it mainly depends on when Elliott is predicted to return for Norwich - talk was originally around Febuary but I wonder if that has slipped back a bit. When Pilkington, Snodgrass and Redmond are all fit then there really isn''t need for another player - I guess any signing would be a loan.

We were in the market for a winger in the summer. We looked at James Troisi but that didn''t materialise and we ended up getting no one. So this probably follows on from that. I have a real feeling CH aims to sell one of our wingers. Can''t imagine it''l be any of Redmond, Josh Murphy or Snodgrass.

Maybe Bennett and Pilkington are on their way out?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Not sure we definately need one now, Murphy has stepped up to the mark, Redmond has a decent bit of football under him now and our 3 senior wingers will all be coming back in January. I''d be tempted to make an exception for McGeady though.[/quote]

Has Murphy stepped up to the mark? He probably wouldn''t be in the squad if we had a full house.

Of course it''s not always easy getting into the game when you''re coming off the bench but his last couple of appearances suggest he''s not really ready for it.

[quote user="Nicko"]We were in the market for a winger in the summer. We looked at James Troisi but that didn''t materialise and we ended up getting no one. So this probably follows on from that. I have a real feeling CH aims to sell one of our wingers. Can''t imagine it''l be any of Redmond, Josh Murphy or Snodgrass. Maybe Bennett and Pilkington are on their way out?[/quote]

Bennett was given a new contract just after he got injured so doubt they are looking to move him on - doubts remain over Pilkington''s fitness, but if he can overcome these problems he is still one of the best players in the team.

If there is a move for a wide player it will be short term cover for Elliott Bennett.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Nicko"]We were in the market for a winger in the summer. We looked at James Troisi but that didn''t materialise and we ended up getting no one. So this probably follows on from that. I have a real feeling CH aims to sell one of our wingers. Can''t imagine it''l be any of Redmond, Josh Murphy or Snodgrass. Maybe Bennett and Pilkington are on their way out?[/quote]

Bennett was given a new contract just after he got injured so doubt they are looking to move him on - doubts remain over Pilkington''s fitness, but if he can overcome these problems he is still one of the best players in the team.

If there is a move for a wide player it will be short term cover for Elliott Bennett.

[/quote]

That can''t be an explanation because we were looking for a winger before any of them got injured. Fair point about bennett and his new contract.

Must be Pilkington.

Dont think we really need one if all fit ?Snoddy obviously a firm fav with HootsBennet transfer speculation is rediculous ! He had a real strong start to the season and got injured, dont know why hes even being considered for transfer.Pilks, maybe the most likely candidate for departure given his injury proneness but when hes played hes looked good.Redmond needs time desperately, hes to selfish atmMurphy.... stepped up to the mark ? he looked way out of his depth yesterday. Hes only a kid so Im not going to judge but hes by no means ready to be first team. As mentioned no injuries and he wouldnt be getting s sniff.

Nexus_Canary wrote the following post at 16/12/2013 3:19 PM:

Dont think we really need one if all fit ?

Snoddy obviously a firm fav with Hoots

Bennet transfer speculation is rediculous ! He had a real strong start to the season and got injured, dont know why hes even being considered for transfer.

Pilks, maybe the most likely candidate for departure given his injury proneness but when hes played hes looked good.

Redmond needs time desperately, hes to selfish atm

Murphy.... stepped up to the mark ? he looked way out of his depth yesterday. Hes only a kid so Im not going to judge but hes by no means ready to be first team. As mentioned no injuries and he wouldnt be getting s sniff.

Snoddy - Ineffectual as a wide player with two up front as he does not deliver the ball behind defences. A favourite if playing 451 though.

Bennett - He didn''t have a strong start to the season as he was injured after the first game. He had looked better than previously but it was not enough games to say he had a strong start to the season.

Pilks - Lacking in true pace and very injury prone.

Redmond - Immature with still a lot to learn but his pace is to be welcomed, especially on the right. Must improve his decision making.

Murphy - Far too early to judge him and really unfair to use him too much. Patience needed.

.......... and you still say you don''t think we need one?

A quality winger, one who can provide a good supply to a front two is needed desperately. It would also allow us the opportunity of having different formations and changing things during games.

I cannot see us playing 442 all of the time but I don''t want to see 451 or the type of 433 we saw Saturday all the time either.

We must have players who allow us more variety.

[quote user="Nicko"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

That can''t be an explanation because we were looking for a winger before any of them got injured. Fair point about bennett and his new contract.

Must be Pilkington.[/quote]
Norwich were only looking for a new winger after Bennett got injured and before Murphy had played any minutes for Norwich. 
Even then Norwich were only linked with players on loan. I think Hughton wanted 4 fit wingers, two for the left and two for the right - when Bennett got injured he only had 3. Hence being linked to Vaz Te and that Australian fella on loan.
Hughton either decided that Murphy was as good as any loan cover he could find, or he couldn''t secure a deal before the end of the window. There was a lot of talk that the Vaz Te loan deal fell apart because West Ham couldn''t bring in any cover.
I don''t think there are any plans to move any of the existing wide players on in the the next couple of transfer windows.

I''d rather we got some additional defensive cover than another winger, but wouldn''t object to both…

[quote user="Nicko"]We were in the market for a winger in the summer. We looked at James Troisi but that didn''t materialise [/quote]

I thought James Troisi was an Australian midfield player or is there another player out there with a similar name?

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Someone was telling me yesterday, that we are in the hunt for a new winger? Just pre transfer window talk at this stage, or has Hughton categorically stated this? If so, I see that Aiden McGeady wants to come back to the UK, and play in the Prem. If we are on the look out for one, would he be a very good one to get?[/quote]

Is McGeady a right footed player who can play on the left wing or is he  good with both feet?

He''s obviously gone to Everton, but does anyone know the price?

Just seeing as we are linked with Guitierrez, then we seem to be in the market for a wide player?