Sign in to follow this  
MancCanary

Interesting quote from Hughton on his tactics

"You can play an extra one in midfield and it means you have a bit more possession, but then you’re not giving yourselves the opportunities to score.”

Isn''t that what we''ve been playing all season? Is he actually saying that, for real, about the tactics he''s been using all season? And then he plays 2 upfront in one of the games that I''m pretty sure we''d all have been happy with just 1 up front and more in midfield. He''s not helping himself.

[quote user="MancCanary"]"You can play an extra one in midfield and it means you have a bit more possession, but then you’re not giving yourselves the opportunities to score.”

Isn''t that what we''ve been playing all season? Is he actually saying that, for real, about the tactics he''s been using all season? And then he plays 2 upfront in one of the games that I''m pretty sure we''d all have been happy with just 1 up front and more in midfield. He''s not helping himself.[/quote]

He doesn''t know what he''s saying. He gets it wrong most weeks and then tries to justify it to save his own neck.

Hughton''s tactics on Saturday made perfect sense given the circumstances.

For the first time this season he had Hooper and Van Wolfswinkel fully fit to play from the start and they need to have time playing together so hopefully they can gel as a partnership.

Meanwhile he is without both Tettey and Howson in central midfield so he decided to go with two there rather than the three that he often has when all the midfielders have been fit.

I don''t expect many on here to step back and give our manager any credit for making a perfectly sensible decision given the situation he faced, but no change there.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]I don''t expect many on here to step back and give our manager any credit for making a perfectly sensible decision given the situation he faced, but no change there.[/quote]The main problem here though Lizard is that it was blindingly obvious from fairly early on that the system wasn''t working (something that Johnson has already stated after the game), but instead of changing things around, Hughton left it as it was and we got stuffed because of it...I have no problem with him trying what he did and indeed there was some justification for some of the decisions, but the mark of a good manager is knowing how, and when to react when something isn''t working, and this is where Hughton comes unstuck 9 times out of 10...