Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Are we going to do anything to arrest the slide?

We''ve had nearly two weeks to sort out a new signing out, one that is clearly needed and we''ve had even longer to get a new manager. One most would argue is required now.

We have done the worst thing possible, nothing. Get a move on board and sort it out now!

" We''ve had nearly two weeks to sort out a new signing out, one that is clearly needed "

As a matter interest which position do you think that is?

Well, in no particular order, we need:

A new centre back to help the existing 3 out (Turner out for a couple of weeks too, Bassong constantly playing through the pain, Bennett young and developing and shouldn''t be relied upon to play week on week). Needed in summer, still not got one. Not convinced by Martin there.

A new ball winning CM is needed that can actually effectively play a simple pass and keep up their share of yards covered. Basically Fer No.2 or a like for like of Tettey, who can provide cover when he''s injured or Fer needs a rest. Despite Johnnos recent upturn, he doesn''t convince me and it''d be interesting to know how often we win when he plays. We''re horribly wasteful with the ball in midfield and always end matches with 40% posession or lower.

A new fresh impetus of spark is required in attacking mid. We need a combination of Wes, Elmander and Hooper here, someone with a good eye for a key pass, decent enough in the air, and with the odd goal in them. This for me is the main signing. Toivonen would have covered this excellently, Elmander has been disapointing.

Finally, we need one maybe 2 wingers. Redmond and Murphy whilst exciting are still young and should be impact players with the odd start now and then, not week on week players. Snodgrass has been utter useless this season, compared to last season. He doesn''t look up to premiership football even this season. Pilks and Bennett are too injury prone and neither are particularly great anyway.

Right back, both our options are alright, but aren''t really good enough long term. Both are lacking that bit of pace that separates the okay from the great. We have bigger priorities though, so unless Naughton was offered to us, i''d probably just leave it for now.

Keepers i''m fine with, Left Backs will do and i''m prepared to see how RVW does as second fiddle to Hooper, who has been a rare highlight for us.

So all in all, we have a hell of a lot we could be doing this January.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Pilks and Bennett are too injury prone and neither are particularly great anyway.[/quote]Injury prone I''ll give you, but the second part of your statement is utter nonsense.Pilks when he''s fit and on form is one of the most impressive wingers in the whole league, great crossing, good pace, not afraid to attack and with a great shot on him. The shame is that he''s a tad inconsistent and obviously has had a few injury problems.Benno isn''t quite as strong as Pilks but still has plenty of ability and if we could encourage him to shoot more like he used to at Brighton, he''d be even more dangerous.I personally thought that Pilks should have been in with an England shout along with Holt at the end of that first season back in the prem, he had one of if not THE highest, crossing accuracies of any English winger that season, had weighed in with 8 goals, and constantly looked a threat regardless of whether we were playing Man Utd or Stoke, so to suggest that he "isn''t particularly great'' is utter claptrap...

Well, Indy, as regards Pilks, my take on this is that he''s by no means a world-beater (talk of him as an England possibility is fanciful at best), but, for a club like Norwich, he''s a very competent operator, who, on his day can be a match winner.But.....injuries aside, the way he''s tailed off over the last year is absolutely shocking.

Chaps, this is all very well but in my opinion we have a manager and coaches that are not impressive.

A change of manager to at least an average one would see our players improve and reach their potential.

The news that we are about to sign another player means we are to keep Hughton. Now that is depressing and any new signing(s) will not help I fear.

As always, I will say I hope I''m wrong .

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Well, Indy, as regards Pilks, my take on this is that he''s by no means a world-beater (talk of him as an England possibility is fanciful at best)[/quote]That season though Reggie he was outstanding as an attacking winger.Only one actual winger outscored him - Gareth Bale (with Dempsey and Sturridge scoring more but playing upfront for most of the season), and out of the England regulars he scored the same as Walcott, 2 more than Young, 5 more than Lennon and 8 more than Downing...[url]http://eplindex.com/16652/premier-league-wide-midfielders-20112012-stats-comparison.html[/url]His cross accuracy of 34.3% made him the 8th best in Europe (with only 13% of his crosses from corners to boot), with our very own David Fox coming top across Europe with 41.3% (of which 63% of which WAS from corners)![url]http://www.whoscored.com/Articles/3wvm115-mkyc9yxf4zzspg[/url]Indeed, when you consider the lack of genuine quality we had on the left, it''s not hard to suggest that Pilks played there with Walcott on the right would have been our best two options.Clearly his form has dipped badly since that season, but he''s shown the ability to perform against the best (and that he compares favourably stats wise against them as well), so there''s no reason to suggest that he can''t find this level of performance again under the correct system and manager.

[quote user="pete"]Reggie Pilks unlikely to be England prospect already played for ROI.[/quote]Pete, it wasn''t me that suggested that he was an England possibility !Indy, I take all the points you make, and indeed he looked the real deal a couple of yrs back. But the pertinent point in this is why he, along with so many of the squad look shadows of what they were such a relatively short time ago ?  OK, as I''ve conceded you have to factor in injuries, but is there not one common denominator running through all these squad members ?!

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Pete, it wasn''t me that suggested that he was an England possibility ![/quote]I stated that I thought he arguably SHOULD have been called up by England on the basis of the 11/12 season where he was excellent and much better than the majority of players who did get called up (Downing ffs!!!)...[quote]Indy, I take all the points you make, and indeed he looked the real deal a couple of yrs back. But the pertinent point in this is why he, along with so many of the squad look shadows of what they were such a relatively short time ago ?  OK, as I''ve conceded you have to factor in injuries, but is there not one common denominator running through all these squad members ?![/quote]Yes - Hughton''s management...My argument however wasn''t even about this, it''s about the suggestion that Pilks is somehow not good enough as a player and I wanted to demonstrate that he''s already shown that he''s more than good enough already!

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]My argument however wasn''t even about this, it''s about the suggestion that Pilks is somehow not good enough as a player and I wanted to demonstrate that he''s already shown that he''s more than good enough already![/quote]And I certainly would not dispute that Indy . He has it in him to be a very impressive operator for us.And, yes, congrats on your accurate discovery of the "missing link" running through the regression of so many of our current squad. Very perceptive !