Sign in to follow this  
NCFC1995

Gutierrez deal close

3) he doesn''t score - correct

Just don''t get too excited....he doesn''t ''assist'' either....

I don''t want to be so negative but we need players who can create chances. His assist rate is quite frankly awful for a so called winger and he doesn''t score. It''s no improvement whatsoever on what we already have. I hope there are more in the pipeline because this does nothing to ease my concerns.

People are judging him before he''s kicked a ball for us!

What are people expecting?

At the moment, we are in a relegation dog-fight with an injury crisis. We are playing an out-of-form winger and two teenagers. Bennett is out for the season and Pilks is injury prone.

All Hughton has done is get an experienced winger who will do a job. Will he set the world alight? No, but he will offer stability and might chip in here and there.

Newcastle fans, whilst accepting it''s time for him to go, really liked him and are sad to see him leave.

Give the guy a break and get behind the team.

Might not be the most exciting signing, but apart from us not scoring, we are conceding - this guy can break up play, is prepared to tackle and run with the ball, and can thread through a decent passes. His work rate is excellent, so for me he is probably the right signing to get a bit of stability back and get stuck in when the opposition is running at us - he doesn''t keep backing off, and that is a problem area right now.

I quite like him as a player. In a World Cup year he''s going to be busting a gut to make sure he''s selected. Plus its competition for places. If it gives Snodgrass and Redmond that kick up the @rse to up their game then its money well spent.

As he will cost only a small fraction of what we believe is in the kitty - far less than the reputed £8m+ we offered last week for the Italian CB, I hope that this means that we are still searching for an outstanding player who will make a big difference to the team.

Otherwise it seems a signing to note, rather than to get excited about.

Why on earth are we signing Gutierrez. Is he really the one person available to us who would strengthen the squad? He is a Huffer and a Puffer I will give him that, but in terms of quality he is lacking.

Crikey, when we were talking on these boards the other day about trying to get Tom Ince one thing that kept on coming up was how people didn''t see that type of player as a priority. But I can tell you, we are in much more need of an Ince than a Guttierez. Even more so another quality centre back, or even another quality centre midfielder, or quality number ten, but the key word to any of those additions is quality. To be brutally honest as a fan I would rather mine and your money went on someone or something else.

TBH makes no odds who we sign or play because Hughton (and cronies) are the heart of the problem. These thickos will either play them in wrong positions or not play them at all... no miracles needed just a change of manager and backroom.

[quote user="peateabee"]Why on earth are we signing Gutierrez. Is he really the one person available to us who would strengthen the squad? He is a Huffer and a Puffer I will give him that, but in terms of quality he is lacking. Crikey, when we were talking on these boards the other day about trying to get Tom Ince one thing that kept on coming up was how people didn''t see that type of player as a priority. But I can tell you, we are in much more need of an Ince than a Guttierez. Even more so another quality centre back, or even another quality centre midfielder, or quality number ten, but the key word to any of those additions is quality. To be brutally honest as a fan I would rather mine and your money went on someone or something else.[/quote]

It appears the Gutierrez transfer is a loan until the end of the season and then a permanent deal if Norwich stay up - I doubt it will be the only transfer this window. Also, Ince and Gutierrez are very differnent players who play in pretty much different positions. As mentioned above Jonas is a great tackler and a solid passer, his main role will be winning the ball back and helping maintain possession - some Norwich have been woeful at this season. His job isn''t to make runs behind defenders, Redmond and the soon to return Pilkington are for that.

Norwich are very short of midfield options, and especially a wide midfielder on the left - Fer and Garrido have played there and it hasn''t worked out so well. By having someone like Gutierrez, Hooper and RvW can play together more and not have to worry about coming back for the ball so much as there will be plenty of men in midfield to do the grunt work.

peateabee wrote the following post at 13/01/2014 3:55 PM:

Why on earth are we signing Gutierrez. Is he really the one person

available to us who would strengthen the squad? He is a Huffer and a

Puffer I will give him that, but in terms of quality he is lacking.

Crikey, when we were talking on these boards the other day about

trying to get Tom Ince one thing that kept on coming up was how people

didn''t see that type of player as a priority. But I can tell you, we are

in much more need of an Ince than a Guttierez. Even more so another

quality centre back, or even another quality centre midfielder, or

quality number ten, but the key word to any of those additions is

quality. To be brutally honest as a fan I would rather mine and your

money went on someone or something else.You don''t get more than 20 caps for the third ranked team in the world by being a Huffer and Puffer!He may not be as good as he was a couple of seasons back, but please do not try to belittle the man''s quality.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

peateabee wrote the following post at 13/01/2014 3:55 PM:

Why on earth are we signing Gutierrez. Is he really the one person

available to us who would strengthen the squad? He is a Huffer and a

Puffer I will give him that, but in terms of quality he is lacking.

Crikey, when we were talking on these boards the other day about

trying to get Tom Ince one thing that kept on coming up was how people

didn''t see that type of player as a priority. But I can tell you, we are

in much more need of an Ince than a Guttierez. Even more so another

quality centre back, or even another quality centre midfielder, or

quality number ten, but the key word to any of those additions is

quality. To be brutally honest as a fan I would rather mine and your

money went on someone or something else.You don''t get more than 20 caps for the third ranked team in the world by being a Huffer and Puffer!He may not be as good as he was a couple of seasons back, but please do not try to belittle the man''s quality. [/quote]

I know I am being overly harsh and of course he is an awesome footballer compared to a lot of professionals, let alone amateurs but his talent is average by premiership standards - and the stats and path of his career do not lie in that regard.

And it is true that he does have greater talents and qualities in different areas other than natural ability, steel and fight and willingness to as I harshly put it Huff and Puff. (greater than most I would say.) And I am not someone who would usually play down those qualities. I do believe they are in many ways more important than the natural ability, but you can only gets so far if you have just one of of the two - for instance he certainly didn''t manage to haul newcastle out of their predicament when they got relegated.

As for his caps with Argentina he was chosen for those exact qualities I mentioned, because he made a good foil for our their more creative players and provided a balance to their team. Unfortunately in our team there is not always too much creativity to be a foil to at the moment.

It is not that he is a particularly bad player, its just that I don''t think he is what the squad needs - and I find it frustrating that the club are directing funds into this deal rather than other ones the would be of greater importance.