Sign in to follow this  
NCFC1995

Gutierrez deal close

Gutierrez isn''t going to score a huge amount of goals himself, but Norwich actually have good strikers already in Hooper and RvW, the problem has been in getting them the ball in dangerous positions - something that has been hard to do as Norwich have been very poor in retaining possession. Someone like Gutierrez should improve that, he''s a good passer and will also help win the back.

It''s too basic to think ''Norwich can''t score goals, let''s get another striker''. A creative player would of course be a massive help, but Gutierrez, who can play either wing, central and has also had a spell at right back, will add bite to the team that is drastically missing. I think most of us have seen the stat that Norwich only won 3 tackles against Everton - that needs to be improved.

Ha, check out this lovely piece of journalism from sky!

http://www1.skysports.com/transfer/news/12691/9114209/premier-league-norwich-close-on-newcastles-jonas-gutierrez

Hopefully Jonas will improve our ''promotion hopes'', eh!!

Additionally could be the best we can attract at this stage of a dyre season. Could be that those who we really want don''t want to come!

[quote user="Indy"]Additionally could be the best we can attract at this stage of a dyre season. Could be that those who we really want don''t want to come![/quote]
I agree with this. Any potential signing who has done their homework on us will surely be put off by what they see.

Well, clearly we need a signing in those wide positions. Bennett and Pilks out, Snoddy underperforming, Redmond''s final ball is usually poor and the Murphys aren''t really ready for a starting role yet. Gutierrez is clearly very comfortable with the ball and is capable of both scoring and providing. Work rate is excellent. Maybe a bit slow, but an ideal wide man for a 442 formation. A solid signing in my eyes.

Jonas will be far more effective for us in terms of helping us defend when we collapse into a 4-4-1-1. This is why he is known as a defensive winger.His crossing is quite poor, but he will win the ball back up and down the flanks and relieve pressure. I don''t believe he is a solution to our goalscoring problems, and with Pilks and Bennett returning I have to question the point in signing him.However, it''ll be a bit like having two Snoddys, albeit one who can''t cross (though the real Snoddy takes so long to cross that while he does create a lot of chances they are usually low quality as shown by the non-existent chance conversion rate).Better option than Redmond or Murphy who for all their flair offer zero defensive nous. For those of you who say they shouldn''t be asked to defend and cite Huckerby as an example- Hucks was a matchwinner who was every bit as classy in the final third as he was in getting there, he would always have a good final ball. Neither Redmond or Murphy has a final ball of any real quality, so we essentially just carry them on the off chance they do something good- which, by and large, they don''t. Skinning players for fun is all well and good if you actually do something with the ball. Trouble is Jonas won''t really do that but we will stop being done down the left flank by any half decent full back + winger combo (see Coleman, Mirallas etc)....as if Garrido ever had a chance!Still need to strengthen in the middle of the park in all positions, an AM, CB, and another CM are vital. We don''t have enough money for that which just makes the Jonas signing look very odd indeed.

Another player that''s mostly slated on here before he''s even wore the shirt or kicked a ball for the clubWhat great fans we got on here :PAlthough it''s not to see maybe a couple have reasonable outlooks on looking forward to seeing what he can do, if we get him of course.

[quote user="Alejandra"]Another player that''s mostly slated on here before he''s even wore the shirt or kicked a ball for the clubWhat great fans we got on here :PAlthough it''s not to see maybe a couple have reasonable outlooks on looking forward to seeing what he can do, if we get him of course.[/quote]Although it''s nice to see*is there any edit button? I couldn''t find it

It''s not like we haven''t seen him play! He''s not come in from some obscure league, we know what he can do on the pitch.

We are not slating him, just some of us don''t see him as an improvement nor are excited by a 30 year old has been who according to most has no pace and can''t cross the ball. Another Elmander workhorse who just adds no quality to the first 11, but adds to the squad and wage bill! IMO

''Adds no quality''You are joking right? He isn''t the quickest player but he is very able on the ball, and is very good at holding onto the ball on the wings and bringing the midfielders into play. He is basically another Snodgrass.

[quote user="Canary On The Wire"]''Adds no quality''

You are joking right? He isn''t the quickest player but he is very able on the ball, and is very good at holding onto the ball on the wings and bringing the midfielders into play. He is basically another Snodgrass.
[/quote]

After watching Snodders this year that fills me with dred!

We need pace on the wings, we need a tigh back 4 and we need a mobile central midfield, that''s what is required, not someone who has no pace to get by defenders, and I don''t know if you have a Newcastle seaosn ticket but he''s never been known to bring in the midfielders, what is that comment? Is that not what Elamnder is suppose to be good at?

Sorry but in my opinion of having seen him for Newcastle is that he''s an average player no better than we have with Pilks, Snodders or Johnson. But hey we will all have the chance to see just how outstanding he is very soon.

For me a very poor signing and not one I think we need! IMO

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Looks to be the type of player a club new to the premiership might sign, sort of says it all for me[/quote]
In what way?
Only thing going against him is his lack of games for Newcastle this season, but last five seasons he''s been a regular for them. Helping them win promotion, qualify for Europe. Played in World Cup for Argentina. Think he''s a signing anyone below Newcastle right now would be happy with. They''ve found themselves back where they were before relegation and with all their French reinforcements a decent player has found himself on the sidelines. Newcastle are better than us. So signing a fringe player from them isn''t necessarily a bad thing.
We need to be clever with who we sign, if we go out and spend stupidly and still go down, it won''t be good. A number of players would leave. Guiterrez is the kind of player that will be useful either way. Wouldn''t want to pay much more than £3 million, but for that he''s a very good buy.

He carries the ball up and down the wings, wins it back and looks inside for passes, allowing central midfielders with the freedom to support attacks to receive passes as they enter the opposition half. That''s what that comment is, and I don''t need a Newcastle season ticket to know that by systemising the pressure and controlling the space out wide, the centre of the park will open up as the opposition team shifts ball side

[quote user="Canary On The Wire"]He carries the ball up and down the wings, wins it back and looks inside for passes, allowing central midfielders with the freedom to support attacks to receive passes as they enter the opposition half. That''s what that comment is, and I don''t need a Newcastle season ticket to know that by systemising the pressure and controlling the space out wide, the centre of the park will open up as the opposition team shifts ball side
[/quote]

Fair point and didn''t mean to sound sush a knobhead, sorry for that.

I get what you say but our central midfield is designed around sitting deep and there lays the problem, without a mobile central midfield you need to play 1 up top and an attacking midfielder or even the diamond! But without pace on the wings we will never get behind any teams as all our stikers are short of pace too!

I''m just not convinced this is an improvement we need more to sure things up and become even more boring than we are now! We will end up with hoofing the ball up to Elmander to head back to two slwo wingers!

Ah well we are just the fans and have to see just how good a value 3 million is for a 30 year old Newcastle player.

Where''s the 3 million everyone is quoting come from? I''ve heard 1.5 million and that included''s add ons.

Experienced player with a good pedigree.A kid for the future is the last thing we need right now. We need to ensure that there is a future.

[quote user="jedi"]Where''s the 3 million everyone is quoting come from? I''ve heard 1.5 million and that included''s add ons.[/quote]
If you search Jonas Guiterrez the first news story about him had £3 million in the title...

Whilst there''s always more to the game than bare stats, the stats themselves are a bit of a mixed bag (all from last season) compared to our current squad performances (where possible, some stats from last year due to lack of data e.g. E.Bennett):Pass success rate: 81.5%, which would put him joint 6th in this area along with Turner (but higher than any other winger, Pilks is the closest on 79.6%), so not bad there at allAssists: 0Hard not to beat this is it?Goals: 1Again, hardly inspiringKey Passes: 0.8Only Pilks and Olsson are below this (with Pilks hardly playing this year and Olsson mainly at left back)Cross success rate: 21%Crosses per game: 0.64Our other wingers murder him here, with better crossing success (Snoddy 27%, Pilks 28%, Benno 28%, Redmond 24%) almost across the board, with only Olsson at 21% being worse (again he''s mainly at LB).The same suspects also tend to cross more frequently, with only Pilks being behind here at 0.4 per game (mainly because he drives in a lot more).That being said, his defensive stats are much better, with his 2.5 tackles per game only being beaten by Fer in our entire squad!His interception levels are also strong, again only beaten by central midfielders or defenders, and despite his strength defensively he doesn''t give many fouls away and averages 0.8 per gameThis firmly supports the suggestion that Jonas is much more suited to a defensively orientated role, as his attacking threat is far less than the alternatives in our squad, but he''s much more solid when supporting the full back and midfield with defensive work...Is that what we need? I''m not sure, but at least it''s a fair example of what he''s going to bring to the team anyway...

Yet another player who doesn''t know where the net is, but will undoubtedly help our yellow card count.

It is very wrong, I know, to pre-judge a player, but scoring goals is our problem, and I can''t see this being anywhere near the solution.

The signing will only confirm that the Board are quite content with Hughton''s tenure.

A defensive winger! Wow, now we can score even less goals! Hopefully Lionel Messi knows a player and Jonas will finally show us what he was raving on about!

Impressive stats Mr Bones and sort of backs up my lack of excitment!

I ask this, if we play Hull and Redmond is on the bench and we start with Guiterrez would most on here be happy to see that?

Just shoring up the defencsive failings we have at present and in all reality will just add more pressure onto the defenders by not having an outlet ball on the wing!

I think Gutierrez is an excellent signing and exactly the kind of player we should go for right now.The following things I am pleased about:1) he is signing early in the transfer window, which gives him more of a chance to find his feet. Timing is crucial.2) we have a lot of players in the midfield who have struggled with niggling injuries or more serious ones this season, so we could do with more cover across the midfield in general. We are likely to struggle with injuries more as the season goes on and people get tired. As discussed here already, Gutierrez can probably play on either wing or as a defensive or attacking midfield player. Plus as a full-back. And not a stop-gap fullback either - he''s played for Argentina as a full-back!3) he''s worked with Chris Hughton before, which will mean that he will fit easier into his way of coaching with a much shorter bedding-in period. This is crucial when we need a player who will hit the ground running.4) battling qualities - something he clearly has. he''s a likeable tryer who will be good for squad (and maybe even fan?) morale.5) experience - we don''t have many players experienced with a Prem League bottom-half battle. Now we have one more. Good.6) while we have good wingers, we have mostly YOUNG wingers. Redmond and the Murphys are great, but still prone to errors and dubious decision-making and not quite the players we want to be playing every game yet. bennett and Pilkington are injured. We''re relying a lot on Snodgrass staying fit.There are a few criticisms others have made which I really feel are off the mark:1) Reggie says "he won''t even feature tomorrow and will be on the bench on Saturday" - good! a new signing should really fight his way into the team. Otherwise it upsets the applecart. Plus, he''s not played a great deal this season, so maybe is not at 100% match sharpness - same as would be the case with most other players we would sign at this point in the season (mostly players out of favour at other clubs).2) He''s slow - yes, he''s not known for his speed - but we have players who are speedmerchants already, and so this gives us a range of options and allows us to switch around our play3) he doesn''t score - no, he doesn''t. But we need a player who will provide chances for our strikers, not a player who will score himself. Hooper and van Wolfswinkel CAN score, but they''ve struggled for service.4) Indy wrote: "boring signing with little to get excited about" - NO. Juan Velasco was a boring signing with little to get excited about. Chris Killen was a boring signing with little to get excited about. Chris Brown was a boring signing with little to get excited about. Don''t forget how far Norwich have come.

[quote user="Indy"]

I ask this, if we play Hull and Redmond is on the bench and we start with Guiterrez would most on here be happy to see that?

Just shoring up the defencsive failings we have at present and in all reality will just add more pressure onto the defenders by not having an outlet ball on the wing!

[/quote]
He is an outlet on the wing though. Probably much more likely to lead to keeping possession. Give the ball to Redmond, what happens? Half the time he just runs and shoots, and hasn''t scored since Southampton. Probably had about 60 shots since then.
Shoring up the defence is just as important at the moment, we''ve got players capable of scoring. Playing Guiterrez could easily allow other players to get more involved in attacking play.

[quote user="Indy"]

[/quote]
He is an outlet on the wing though. Probably much more likely to lead to keeping possession. Give the ball to Redmond, what happens? Half the time he just runs and shoots, and hasn''t scored since Southampton. Probably had about 60 shots since then.
Shoring up the defence is just as important at the moment, we''ve got players capable of scoring. Playing Guiterrez could easily allow other players to get more involved in attacking play.