Sign in to follow this  
NCFC1995

Gutierrez deal close

it seems we are definitely getting gutierrez, is he what we need and i know he has quality crosses but who will lose their place??? and i still think a couple more players of quality especially in midfield with fer

[quote user="NCFC1995"]it seems we are definitely getting gutierrez, is he what we need and i know he has quality crosses but who will lose their place???[/quote]Won''t be an issue, 1995.Won''t even feature tomorrow, and the bench at best on Sat. Then clueless Chris will bring him on in the 85th minute.

i have heard 18month contract with option of another year, fee nowhere near 3m much closer to 1.5

Sadly, it says to me that we''re stuck with the knobjocky of a manager now.

Better dust off that road map to Leeds.

If I could pick a player we don''t need it would be him. A slow winger who doesn''t score. Maybe wrong about him but it seems a waste to me.

[quote user="Green and Yellow fellow"]When Pilkington and Bennett are both fit again does anyone think he''ll drop into a CDM role because of his size and stature?[/quote]

It''s amazing how Bennett has gone from being a fringe player to World class whilst injured.

I''m pleased with this if it happens, think we need a steady know what you''ll get player.

I think that Jonas will probably end up proving himself as a steady signing. clearly a sign of that the board are behind Hughton, and a sign that Hughton recognizes that we need to improve the service to Ricky and Hoops.

Barossa wrote the following post at 13/01/2014 12:05 PM:

It''s amazing how Bennett has gone from being a fringe player to World class whilst injured.

Haven''t you noticed that all the players who don''t play improve in people''s eyes.

[quote user="Green and Yellow fellow"]When Pilkington and Bennett are both fit again does anyone think he''ll drop into a CDM role because of his size and stature?[/quote]

Not sure about that, to be honest – he''s deputised at full-back before and done pretty well there from what I remember. Don''t recall him having played in central midfield before, though. He''s a versatile, experienced Argentina international with a great work rate – he was a firm favourite with the Geordie fans. Definitely think he''d be a good addition to the squad!

What I''ve not seen anyone mention is how versatile he is.

In last World Cup he was playing at RB for Argentina. But his natural position is left wing. So that suggests he''s more than competent playing either wing or FB. Pretty useful player to have for the price. Experience and touch of quality. Certainly nothing to get upset about.

My uncle is a Newcastle season ticket holder. He had this to say about Gutierrez this morning:

''Jonas runs all day. Good outlet to take pressure off when defending he will take the ball all the way down the wings. Pitty his crossing skills are lacking''.

Don''t think he is going to set the world alight for us but will be dependable and the Newcastle fans on Twitter seem sad to see him go.

Isn''t also a sign of how things have changed when we are trying to figure out if we really want a player who has played for Argentina in a World Cup.

I remember people getting excited about Julian Brellier coming in.

[quote user="Splendid Rush"]''.

Don''t think he is going to set the world alight for us but will be dependable [/quote]Interesting from Uncle SR.If we are honest, I don''t think we are , as fans, currently either looking for someone who is going to set the world alight. And, to borrow the phrase from another thread, most accept that it would be unrealistic expectations for Norwich, in their current position to expect someone of that nature to join.I ''d say that most are looking for (quite distinct from any change in manager/strategy) are players who can consistently, over 90 mins  do the job they''ve been allotted competently and successfully. If Gutierrez is charged with providing chances for the strikers to take, and he can do that in an efficient, regular ,albeit unshowy way, then that''s fine by me.

I think he''s a decent enough player who could do a job for us, but is it a job we really need doing? We''ve got 4 wingers already with the Murphys waiting in the wings, seems an odd position to make a purchase in.

The latest quote from the press conference:

"There is an interest in Jonas Gutierrez but there''s nothing to confirm at this moment. If that changes, we will let you know."

I joked on here last week that Becchio needed an Argie mate to keep him company on the bench, I didn''t think they actually go and do it. :-)

Just so everyone''s aware, as it seems to be a bit misunderstood here. Just because we''re signing Gutierrez, doesn''t mean we can''t sign any more players.

[quote user="splutcho"]Just so everyone''s aware, as it seems to be a bit misunderstood here. Just because we''re signing Gutierrez, doesn''t mean we can''t sign any more players.[/quote]

No, but he''s obviously seen as the solution to at least one problem which is depressing, and his wages and fee will influence who else we might sign

Yeah, he''s an extra winger (with more PL experience than anyone else in our squad I believe) for what''ll be a cheap fee and reasonable wages so we don''t have to burn out the teenagers that we are constantly playing there. Sounds alright to me!

This is a funny one for me, Jonas Gutierrez 30 years old, touted to be 3 million and played 20 times for country.

We are talking about holding midfielder / defender when we can’t score, surely this is a low priority and a Hughton signing meaning his departure is not any time soon!

I for one think this like the Elmander loan signing, not inspiring but just filling the squad. Is he better than we have, in patches from what I have seen he is a good player but at 30 not really what I would call a good signing. Not what we need right now, no better than our current players.

But this is the next question, if we are paying, all is it to be believed 3 million for a 30 year old Argentine international player is 1.5 million about right for Wes?

Would most supporters be happy to see our creative flair go to Villa for 1.5 million and replaced with another defensive midfielder?

Sums up the current train of mind at City, boring signing with little to get excited about.

Yeah pretty happy with this. Not the quickest as people have mentioned but is tricky and can certainly create a chance. Age aside, i think he''s an upgrade on Snodgrass whichever side you play him. Should hopefully add a bit more quality when feeding the front men.

Not sure why we need a second thread but anyway,

I think you have to tie this signing with all the worries about getting enough points to stay up. There will be difficult matches ahead like Cardiff away where a real battler wouldbe welcome. There will also be times when we need to dig in hang on and having someone like Jonas with his skill set could be valuable.

I really can''t see the problem here.

Great just what we need another hard working player without an end product. Great signing for Chris as this will make us harder to beat in Hughton''s eyes! Unfortunately he still wont help us score. He sounds a perfect fit for the Hughton system!! Great!

Not ecstatic with the signing but can certainly see the positives. Experienced Prem midfielder, known for working for the team, gives us more cover across a midfield that has been and still could be severely depleted.

I would like a difference-maker to be signed, don''t get me wrong, but I would say any of the clubs 10th and down could and would take him.