Sign in to follow this  
killercanary29

jonas gutierrez tweet

Don''t know if it''ll happen or not, but I would say (as I can see plenty wouldn''t be too thrilled), if he were to come, please give him a fair crack, it''s not the players fault that you think he''s not what we need.

[quote user="Benny Hill"]Mr General. Who is our #10?

Fer and Tettey are exellent defensive midfielders, we don''t need another one. You seem to think like Hughton, way too defensive. Our goalscoring is horrible and we are in the danger zone, agreed? OTBC[/quote]

Wes of course. I said a defensive midfield who can pass, that''s neither Tetty or Johnson. Fer is a box to box midfielder as is Howson and yes they are both excellent. What we need is someone that can sit in front of the back 4, dictate play, start off our attacks, help us keep the ball and offer a long accurate pass when needed. David Fox is the closest thing we have to that but he doesn''t have the physique or mobility to do it in the Premier League.

[quote user="Benny Hill"]I guess that''s Hoolahan but what good can he do when Hughton won''t play him?[/quote]

I agree and it''s an odd one. The Everton game was crying out for Wes and CH went 4-4-2.

Hughton is one odd character... It''s been written about 100 times on this forum.

Wes as #10 behind Wolf and Hooper would probably given us 3 points against teams like Hull, Cardiff and the others we should easily won against if Hughton had shown some ambition. He is just too defensive. Attacking is the best way of defence IMO. Maybe not against the top 4 or 6 teams but the rest.

But Gutierrez, is he a improvement? I don''t think so. Just another leftover from a team with bigger ambitions than Hughton.

I''t not exited at all. £3 million and £50000 a week for someone useless and slow. Just a typical panic buy.

Well I''ve been supporting this team for so long so I will keep supporting even next season when we face teams like Millwall and Doncaster. At least we''ll kick Tractor boys ass once again.

Not particular happy with that signing if it does happen. How many assists has he got in the last couple of years?

We need a couple of hungry in form players from the lower leagues who can bring their winning mentality here, not some washed up unfit has been who can''t get a game.

He is not most exiting signing, but he isn''t that bad player that he should be judged before he has played single game for us (if the rumour has anything behind it, in first place)

If roled right, he can be great player for us and specially if we keep playing that annoying 4-4-2 he gives us one midfielder more instead of pure winger.

He doesn''t score goals, he doesn''t create goals.

The answer to our problems is a defensive winger.... great.

[quote user="General Melchett"]I said a defensive midfield who can pass, that''s neither Tettey or Johnson.[/quote]Depends on what you''re looking for from a DM though doesn''t it?Tettey has managed near enough a 90% pass success rate this season, but that''s because he''s won the ball and then played a short, simple pass to a teammate with better technical ability to try something more creative (even if they''ve failed miserably afterwards), which is exactly what I''d expect from a defensive midfielder.What it sounds like you want is a deep lying playmaker a''la Pirlo, and as you already pointed out - we have Fox for that role (and he isn''t too lightweight or immobile either) if really needed, and getting someone much better would cost an absolute fortune...

This signing is a bit depressing. Newcastle fans almost universally say he''s cr*p and he is generally described as a "defensive winger." We already have 8 men behind the ball most weeks. We have Pilks coming back from injury and Mutphy impressing every time he gets a chance. Why are we spending £3m on a player who will limit their chances and probably make us even less creative.

I will obviously give the guy a chance and maybe away from home it may be preferable to playing a full back on the wing but it feels like Hughton is signing a player who embodies everything we find a bit depressing about Hughton''s style of football.

I honestly don''t think that he will be that bad a signing if he joins, as long as he''s doesn''t just sit on the bench each week as a short term option at the moment he might provide a bit more spark in he midfield, and get things moving again.

However we still will be a little short in places like defence though.

I don''t know an awful lot about this chap so I did a bit of digging and found an interesting article. According to this Gutierrez has evolved under Pardew into a defensive midfielder with the ability to keep possession as well as win a lot of free kicks - he was the Premier League''s most fouled player in 2011 and 2012. If only we could actually deliver a decent ball in and have a threat in the air! Nevertheless, sounds like he''s worth having on board, especially given Pilks'' injury issues. http://eplindex.com/19467/transformation-jonas-gutierrez-stats-analysis.html

It would be foolish to dismiss out of hand a player who has gained more than 20 caps for the international team ranked third in the world.

He obviously has quality or he would not have gained that recognition.

Although I would be happy if Hughton left I have very few complaints about the quality of player he has brought to the club.

£3m seems an inflated price for Gutierrez given he''s only played twice this season for Newcastle. However, any new blood, especially with his experience, is good for us right now. If nothing else, Gutierrez plays with a bit of fire and when you''re in a scrap (As we no doubt are), you need a bit of fire.

I''ve no idea where he''d slot in, mind you. Knowing Hughton, he''ll end up playing Jonas off our lone striker.

If he comes lets give him a chance! We really are becoming a spoilt set of supporters if we are already berating a signing before he''s even put pen to paper!!!

This kind of signing surely isn''t top priority though. As Le Juge said, shouldn''t we be looking at a way to create more goal scoring chances, and upgrade personnel to be more of a threat in the final 3rd before spending on this type of player in an already inflated transfer window?
Surely a DM, CAM, RB, CB and arguably a winger should be before what looks like a defensive winger. Also I''d rather we look at a young up and coming player, rather than a 30-year old on the decline deemed surplus. How hungry will he be?

As this looks like it''s going ahead, I repeat, please give him a chance. To get on his case from the off would just be embarrassing and I''m sure he''s coming with the intention of giving it his all for the team. Also, talk about over reacting. You don''t get 20 odd caps for Argentina and 140 PL appearances by being totally crap.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]It would be foolish to dismiss out of hand a player who has gained more than 20 caps for the international team ranked third in the world.

He obviously has quality or he would not have gained that recognition.

Although I would be happy if Hughton left I have very few complaints about the quality of player he has brought to the club.[/quote]

And that''s the thing. I think what makes this season so disappointing is the optimism that most of us had through the summer at the potential of Hughton''s signings and which has now dissipated away. IMO most people agreed that Hughton''s signings were good ones, so we expected that we might be able to challenge for the top half of the table. This didn''t seem unreasonable in the light of our 11th place finish last season and the perceived quality of the signings. And yet so far Hughton''s team appears to be less that the sum of its parts. Gutierrez may well prove to be a useful buy. I hope he does. It certainly didn''t help that Howson and Tettey got long term injuries. Howson was our best player IMO until that point. But the essence of the problem is that we continue to under perform as a team.

[quote user="SeattleCanary"]This kind of signing surely isn''t top priority though. As Le Juge said, shouldn''t we be looking at a way to create more goal scoring chances, and upgrade personnel to be more of a threat in the final 3rd before spending on this type of player in an already inflated transfer window?
Surely a DM, CAM, RB, CB and arguably a winger should be before what looks like a defensive winger. Also I''d rather we look at a young up and coming player, rather than a 30-year old on the decline deemed surplus. How hungry will he be?
[/quote]In terms of priorities you can only judge once all the deals - in and out - have been done. It may be those other areas are greater priorities but the Gutierrez deal was one we could pull off quickly. As to the price, mentioned elsewhere, I would take £3m with a pinch of something or other.

I don''t know why people are so down on this. 3 million isn''t particularly expensive, especially in the January transfer window.

From what I know of him, I think he could offer us some much needed energy and commitment, something a lot of people have highlighted as being missing from our play recently. Ask any Newcastle fan, and they''ll tell you he gives 100% every game, and is a great character in the club. Personally I think this is just what we need. I''m not suggesting he''ll be our best player or anything, but he''ll certainly give his all and work hard for the team.

I don''t think his age is a huge issue, especially considering the relatively modest transfer fee, and he seems to one of those players that keeps himself in great shape, so I imagine he has quite a few years left in him.

He hasn''t played much this season, but he seemed like a decent enough player last season. Doesn''t have the greatest pace, but has good acceleration, is very powerful, and doesn''t seem to tire too much towards the end of the match. Let''s face it, we could do with another winger, as our current bunch haven''t exactly been entirely prolific lately.

Bring him on I say.

We might as well save the £3m and get Andy Hughes back if we''re after a tryer!

In all serious though, i may be underwhelmed but you''re right, he''s worth giving a chance to. He has a good attitude and Maradona saw something in him.