Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Jonas Gutierrez loan signing confirmed...

Slightly underwhelming but willing to give a chance to prove himself and could prove an important player in helping us stay up. Also shows board are backing Hughton although that might change depending on Saturday''s result.

"Argentinian international midfielder Jonas Gutierrez joins City on loan from Newcastle until June 30"

NORWICH City have completed the signing of Jonas Gutierrez on loan from Newcastle United until June 30.

The Argentina international midfielder, who has 22 caps for his country, becomes the Canaries’ first signing of the January transfer window.

After completing the move, the 30-year-old said: “I’m happy to be here. It’s an opportunity for me to get back in the game and to try and do my best for the team.

“Personally I want to do the right things on the pitch and win my place, and then for the team we want to finish as high as we can. It’s a tough league, all the games are difficult, but we have a good opportunity.”

Gutierrez played under Chris Hughton while at St James’ Park, and was a prominent member of their Championship-winning team in 2010, earning a place in his country’s World Cup squad that summer.

Since joining the Magpies in July 2008, he has made 195 appearances in all competitions, including four against Norwich City, scoring 11 goals.

On the deal, Hughton commented: “He’s somebody that will certainly bring experience – he’s played close to 200 games for Newcastle so he knows the Premier League very well.

“He’s been in England for five years, so there won’t be that settling in period that you would have with some other players. That’s important, particularly in January when you need players that can go straight into the squad.

“Jonas can play on either flank and in a central position, so he’s a very welcome addition and we look forward to working with him.”

I think being as he wasn''t signed before the first game he isn''t allowed to participate in the replay. Don''t quote me on that though.

The guy has been an international football FFS people need to give him a chance, hopefully in a world cup year Chris can get the best out of him.

There are rumours that he is being kept out of the team because he has a clause in his contract that will grant him an extention if he plays many more games. Newcastle are doing ok so why play him if he''s not required.

Loan option is great deal for us.

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]With Newcastle out of the FA cup, and Gutierrez not playing in the game v cardiff, is there a chance we will see him tomorrow?[/quote]
I would have thought that question would have been put to Hughton already?

Welcome to Norwich City, Jonas.

Dammit, now I have a Weezer song stuck in my head.

seems a sensible solutionmost loanees have tended to do wellno long term commitment and another player now, not Feb 1stgood luck to him and I hope he gets more time on the pitch than his fellow countryman

Looks like a sensible signing to me to bolster up our options and freshen things up. I will give him a chance certainly, very experienced player at this and international level that should help us until the end of the season.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]You might see him, but he won''t be playing according to Hughton earlier.[/quote]According to Hughton it''s because he was not in the Norwich squad when the original game was played a week last Sat.How true that is, I don''t know, but it''s what was claimed.

FA rules -

''All players must have been eligible to play in the original tie in order to play in a replayed or postponed match''

I don''t mind this signing as it is a loan after all I was worried about hoots getting sacked and us / new manager left with one Jonas for 2 years !

I also think you might ( my opinion ) that we can read into this that the club didn''t want to buy him just in case this happened a short term loan can be canceled

[quote user="City1st"]FA rules -

''All players must have been eligible to play in the original tie in order to play in a replayed or postponed match''

[/quote]Thanks, C1st; There you go.So, expect a place on the bench reserved for Jonas on Saturday and he is introduced to the action by Hoots in the 85th minute when we are 0-2 down.

I agree, the fact that it is a loan makes me feel much better also.

If he does alright and we survive then perhaps we can sign him in the summer.

If he isn''t up to required standard we aren''t lumbered with another big wage.

I think we will see another loan in this window, can''t see any big money signings with us near the relegation zone and I''ve been saying that for a while.

Think we can still have another domestic loan because Elmander is an overseas loan.

A composed central defender or centre midfielder who can spray balls around would be nice.

Good signing and on a loan basis is perfect;  no long term committment for an older player;  if he works out then we will have to pay more but we will not have been relegated;   if it doesnt the committment has been limited.

Still need a creative attacking midfielder and a CB.     A loan and a permanent signing would be fine :-)

COYY

I think this is the best way for the club to go also under fire manager ( lets hope ! ) 

last thing we need is to spend millions on players if the manager might be here who signed them

This is COULD be the biggest sign yet that the club are getting worried we could of bought him outright but loaned instead ?

I also doubt he''ll be allowed to play in the home game against Newcastle under the terms of the loan. Pleased with this signing, though, for reasons already outlined by BYG & others.

Initially I was underwhelmed, but let''s see what he brings to the party. You never know he may turn out to be a crowd pleaser. Good business that its a loan.

If all else fails it might cheer Luciano up to have somebody to talk about home with whilst sitting on the bench.

"If all else fails it might cheer Luciano up to have somebody to talk about home with whilst sitting on the bench."

Malvinas ?

How about signing up Chas and Dave as well? They could pen a catchy ditty for the Argies like Ossie and Ricky?New goal music... City are on their way to League One... Hughtons gone and done it again... or words to that effect.