Sign in to follow this  
Waveney Canary

Who is departing

None,

Bennetts return not guaranteed and will take time to get up to speed.

Pilks is a worry and no guarantee to stay fit.

Also as a loan, it is clearly a Squad addition to add some depth.

Snake

I thought it was always pretty conclusive that Bennett would be out for the season.

The club has always said that he''d probably be back in training Feb/March.

That doesn''t mean playing in Feb/March, we will be lucky to see him until late April.

I''m not entirely against Pilkington moving on now, the man is injury prone and can''t stay fit enough for long enough to show his best form.

One of our best players but he is no good to us on the treatment table. He is out of contract in 2015 (if we extend for a year, otherwise 2014).

Get a couple of million for Pilkington with some add ons in case he manages to overcome his injury problems and show himself to be a top player again.

So because Pilks has been out quite a bit this season, we should sell him. That despite the fact that he has been one of our most consistent players over the two seasons prior to that in the premier league and has still a good decade of football in him at 25.

As for departing. As things stand we have the following wide players on the books:

E. Bennett (injured majority of the season)

R. Snodgrass

A. Pilkington

N. Redmond, Murphy and Murphy are all under 21 and do not count towards the squad total.

A.Surman (on loan).

So whichever way you look at it we currently have Redmond, Snodgrass and Pilkington of the experienced and available for selection players. With the Murphy''s providing able but inexperienced cover.

It also sounds like Hughton doesn''t expect to just play Gutierrez out wid. Perhaps he''ll be played centrally?

"So because Pilks has been out quite a bit this season, we should sell him"

It isn''t just this season though is it, he was out quite a bit last season too.

He is out of contract at the end of this season. We have an option for another year.

Either we need to give him a new contract in the summer or we need to cash in and reinvest.

His injury problems are something that the club need to think about when deciding whether to offer him a three or four year deal. He will no doubt want Premier League money. Maybe they will decide that he isn''t worth the investment.

Pilkington has been linked to a lot of clubs. The manager whoever that is, and McNally, will have a tough decision to make.

I''d be happy to see him stay and would understand if he left. If that translates into "we should sell him" then so be it.

I actually said "I''m not entirely against Pilkington moving on now", quite a big difference between the two stances, but don''t expect you to be in any way reasonable when conversing with me Chicken.

I also doubt that a player with Pilkington''s injury record is going to playing into his mid-thirties at any decent level of football. Especially as his turn of pace is a big part of his game.

Pills has played 60 league games in the two previous seasons. Since when has that been an injury problem?

Six spells out injured in two and a half season, including four hamstring injuries. That is an injury problem.

Swansea seem to consider it an issue:

But chairman Huw Jenkins told the Evening Post Swansea would not consider signing the 25-year-old because he has been out since November with a hamstring injury. “You cannot sign injured players,” Jenkins said.