Sign in to follow this  
LostTheFaith

Unrealistic expectations!!

I really do wonder what most of you are smoking!

We are nailed on a bottom six club with mainly championship players yet so many thunk we are underperforming.

We may have spent a record amount but we are playing catch up with most teams and most teams spent money too!!!

We have four of our best players crook and have to play youngsters too fill gaps. When they are back we will be better but it will be a fight to stay up.

Blaming the manager for everything that goes wrong on the pitch is very blinkered. We have players that are very inconstant and when they have an off day they are bloody awful.

This is what it is like for 10 teams in the PL. This is what it will be like for many years in the PL. We do not have the money to compete and get consistent players in.

We need to get some better players in not do the easy thing and blame all on the manager. It looks like the board have the balls to hang in there and I applaud them for it!!!,,,

FFS this is what it is supposed to be like. Yes I am nervouse but that''s part of being s supporter. Who wants mid table boredom with nothing to play for! We have the excitement of a relegation battle with ten other teams. Not as exciting as being in the championship fighting for promotion but the end result just as important!!!

I have said it before and I will say it again. A minority of people on a message board do not represent the consensus view of the masses. Get behind your team and manager. Enjoy the ride!!! We will stay up and Hoots will be here this time next year.

"We are nailed on a bottom six club with mainly championship players"

"Blaming the manager for everything that goes wrong on the pitch is very blinkered"

Well Hughton signed 16 or 17 of our players and 8 of the 11 who started todays game. So perhaps you can tell us all why Hughton has signed "Championship players" for a Premier League team and why it is that we can''t blame him for that (if we agreed with the statement that they are Championship standard, I happen not to).

Presumably if Hughton has spent £50m on Championship standard players to replace Championship standard players then that alone would be enough to justify his dismissal?

My Only expectation as a Norwich fan is that no matter the result we give a good account of ourselves. Too often, well pretty much weekly this does not happen. Hughton misjudges the situation time and time again. Knowing Everton were always going to play 5 in Midfield why would you only play 4? Why would you play Garrido Left wing? i could understand if it was Olsson in front but Garrido left wing, When we have Redmond and Murphy on the bend. Idiotic.

We also had the left footed Hoolahan on the bench, or Snodgrass could have played left and Redmond right.

Garrido left midfield was a very questionable decision.

Mostly Championship players!!! Quickly ring the FA and tell them they have to take Hull out of 10th because they have mostly Championship players. How dare they punch above their weight!!
LOL [;)]

" We have four of our best players crook and have to play youngsters too fill gaps. When they are back we will be better but it will be a fight to stay up "

That is a lot of it... the rest of our performance issue is the manager / tactics / motivation. But whatever we think of the latter we can''t ignore the fact that those four players are missing from our lineup when we have a squad in it''s current state of development...

[quote user="Surfer"]" We have four of our best players crook and have to play youngsters too fill gaps. When they are back we will be better but it will be a fight to stay up "

That is a lot of it... the rest of our performance issue is the manager / tactics / motivation. But whatever we think of the latter we can''t ignore the fact that those four players are missing from our lineup when we have a squad in it''s current state of development...[/quote]
Here is disagree somewhat. If you are trying to tell me that Bennett is first choice over Snodgrass that''s just untrue. If Snodgrass had been the one injured instead we''d have never seen what a let down he has been this season, and everyone would have said we''d missed him. Elliot has never really been first choice, so to say we miss him, is like saying we miss Surman.
Pilks has always been too injury prone to ever really have a prolonged string of games in which to be so crucial to the first team. He was always described as one who faded in and out of games, and that was when he wasn''t injured.
Tettey only really started to show what he could do before his injury this season, and as for the rest of the time he is Pilks mark II. These are bit part season players who should never be counted on to play more than half to 2 thirds of a season.
So that leaves Howson. Does one player really make the difference between a whole team performing good or bad? Does he have that much power on the other players?

Whether you think they are the first choice in their respective positions (which I do), not having them available surely means that our options to mix and match player strengths to best match up to the other team, and also rest those out of form is compromised?

Im afraid I have to disagree with your statement ''mostly championship players. I agree we have a few but the majority of the team are not. Ruddy, Bassong, Fer, are full internationals, as are Snodgrass, martin Pilkington and hoolahan (though for Scotland and Ireland). Olsson is officially swedens best defender and with Elmander is a regular for Sweden. Hooper has champions league experience (though again through Scotland). Dont think our expectations are unrealistic, most of us probably expected nothing out of Everton today, but hoped that we might at least give them a game. We had some good chances today, but that was probably due to the openness of evertons play, something Martinez''s teams are always open too, rather than due to our own scintillating play/in your face attitude. I too just want us to give a good account of ourselves. Not sure we did that today, Everton were in total control and we we pretty toothless as always. Dont think we did badly, just we didnt do very much. Again. Hughton is a yes-man and seems just happy to have been invited to the party. Be polite, dont touch anything and try not to upset the host

I have said it before and I will say it again. A minority of people on a message board do not represent the consensus view of the masses. Get behind your team and manager. Enjoy the ride!!! We will stay up and Hoots will be here this time next year.

It''s isn''t a minority. I have yet to speak to someone away from the ground who supports him and of those around me at the ground only one person supports him.

I would say your problem is you are not ambitious enough in your expectations. You are just happy to be here and make up the numbers.

I think that the OP is correct in the overall sentiment behind the subject, sure I dont fully agree with all of the detail (but cant be bothered to pick holes as we all have different veiws on each player), but the headline and final paragraph are certainly spot-on.

What a complete load of tosh! We have some quality players to attack teams with and probably the strongest squad we have had in a long time. Unfortunately we have a manager convinced we ARE a bottom 6 side who runs an ethos that a point away to promoted teams (3 years behind us with their squad) is a good result! We seem to have forgotten that the "best form of defence is attack" the most basic statement in football. All the fans I know have basically "had enough" and are desperate for a change even if it leads to relegation. Getting up on a saturday morning is no longer exciting. The feeling is more one like a work day "god I have to go watch that today" Fans arrive expecting a dire performance and that is what they get. Hence there is no atmosphere in the ground. I know many that have been season ticket holders for 20 to 30 years that are seriously considering not renewing next season. I await posts of "we are better off without them". These are fans that never wilted in league one and through far worse times. It is simply the fact that the football is just not entertaining. They are then treated on their journey home to Chris Hughton speaking on the radio, stating how great the opposition players are. This even against teams 3 years behind us in squad building as per my opening paragraph. Basically we should be pushing for a tenth place finish or higher this year, look at Southampton!! The board seriously need to think about what they are selling to people here. I believe that fans moral is at a massive low and the players are probably the same. I believe we need a change of manager to put some spark of anticipation back into the bellies of fans and players alike on a saturday morning. Get an atmosphere back in the ground, some belief and who knows where we could go. If we go down then so be it, at least we will have a fun ride along the way.

It''s isn''t a minority. I have yet to speak to someone away from the ground who supports him and of those around me at the ground only one person supports him.

I would say your problem is you are not ambitious enough in your expectations. You are just happy to be here and make up the numbers.

To back up your point JF I counted just four of our coaches as I walked to Goodison yesterday. That is a fraction of the number that I have seen there for the past two seasons. Our supporters are voting with their feet.

We play 10th place on Saturday I think. If we beat them we''ll be equal on points to them.

Higher, admittedly no chance getting higher, but then we are saying we are better than and have a better squad and players and more to spend than?:

Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd, Everton, Tottenham, Newcastle, Southampton.

Garrido on left wing was good decision. It was clear Redmond needed resting and Murphy isn''t consistent enough to start games yet.

And why Garrido instead of Olsson? Garrido has better crosses and Olsson is faster and has better engine. He can do overlaps and get back.

Also Everton threats have been whole season good two fullbacks so gettin some extra defensing power there was good option.

I''m with the OP that people expect too much from the team and even thought I dont agree with some things like playing front two instead of Hoolahan , I think we play decent football.

"We play 10th place on Saturday I think. If we beat them we''ll be equal on points to them"

Yeah and if we lose we will probably be in the relegation zone.

[quote user="Lavanche"]I think we play decent football.[/quote]That''s why we''ve consistently scored far less each season under Hughton in exchange for a 2-3 goal improvement on the defensive side at best...We look stale, lacking in invention and with players who we KNOW have attacking ability but who are instead being shackled and told to defend. Our defenders have got to the point where if they back off any further they''ll be in the stands, and our record signing upfront is being starved of supply then criticised for failing to perfom.If you think that represents decent football, then I have to question exactly what you think bad football looks like...

[quote user="Le Juge"]"We play 10th place on Saturday I think. If we beat them we''ll be equal on points to them"

Yeah and if we lose we will probably be in the relegation zone.[/quote]

League position is irrelevant to me. The fact others are poor does not excuse our poor performance. I base my views on what I see on the pitch every week and hear off it.

Bad football is using only long balls and physical attributes to cover the fact that either team is full of talentless players or their manager is from stone age.

I know that in England playing on the ground and playing with little bit slower attacks is considered somewhat dull. I find it funny that some english think Arsenal was a dull team even in their glory days with lots of short passing, when their football was clearly just level above everyone else.

We have come quite far in tactical sense in last season and start of this season from our league 1 and championship football.

Thought after losing Howson and Tettey I think Hughton has lost a bit of his confidense in his own way of playing which is never a good sign, but I think he will get his mojo back after injuries are over.

Even against big sides we try to play the game. It doesn''t always work as our midfield has problems and Hughton still haven''t found a key to get those passes behind opponent''s back 4, but in tactical sense we have made a big leap forward in past 1 and half season.

If I compare us to West Ham or Fulham who have had quite much more money to build their teams than us and in lesser extent same goes to Aston Villa. We play so much more tactical and ambitious game and only thing that is missing is the end result.

"Yeah and if we lose we will probably be in the relegation zone.

Or may be still not given several of those below us will need to turn around their own form and beat many of the top 6 sides!

Some sensible and interesting replies.

Do not get me wrong, if we happen to lose the next 2 or 3 matches then we will have a new manager but while we are in the middle of the mix we have to back the team, manager and club.

We have a very weak midfield and on top of that 2 or 3 injuries in that area. At our best we are sreuggling but with the missing few we are awfull. We do not have the stength in depth that is required to cope.

The players need to stand up and be counted. If pulling on the yellow shirt is not enough motivation then get rid. I do not hold with the view that is is the mangers jobnd if there was anything at all wrong with relationships McNasty would have pulled the plug many moons ago.

Fortunately the vocal majority on here are not representative of the thousands of supporters we have around the world.

3 points from tenth and 3 points from the drop zone. Great that every match result means so much rather than sitting pretty and bored in 9th. But i would take the 9th tomorrow but this joke of a messege board would not be so entertaining"

Peace out

["KeepTheFaith"]I really do wonder what most of you are smoking! We are nailed on a bottom six club with mainly championship players yet so many thunk we are underperforming. We may have spent a record amount but we are playing catch up with most teams and most teams spent money too!!! We have four of our best players crook and have to play youngsters too fill gaps. When they are back we will be better but it will be a fight to stay up. Blaming the manager for everything that goes wrong on the pitch is very blinkered. We have players that are very inconstant and when they have an off day they are bloody awful. This is what it is like for 10 teams in the PL. This is what it will be like for many years in the PL. We do not have the money to compete and get consistent players in. We need to get some better players in not do the easy thing and blame all on the manager. It looks like the board have the balls to hang in there and I applaud them for it!!!,,, FFS this is what it is supposed to be like. Yes I am nervouse but that''s part of being s supporter. Who wants mid table boredom with nothing to play for! We have the excitement of a relegation battle with ten other teams. Not as exciting as being in the championship fighting for promotion but the end result just as important!!! I have said it before and I will say it again. A minority of people on a message board do not represent the consensus view of the masses. Get behind your team and manager. Enjoy the ride!!! We will stay up and Hoots will be here this time next year.

Kingsway

Couldn''t agree more!

Lets be realistic and look through all the aspects of yesterdays game and not through blinkered "everythings Hughtons fault glasses!"

Everton are one of the best teams in England, fact. Therefore getting a positive result away at Goodison Park should be seen as a bonus and games against top 6 teams aren''t going to define our season. Most sane people would say the odds on yesterdays game wwere heavily stacked in favour of an Everton win!

They are very hard to beat.

Both of their goals were quality efforts, unstoppable although the closing down could of been better!

We had enough chances to of scored at least 3 goals. Snodgrasses 2nd half header was unlucky but you''d expect Wolfswinkel and Hooper to do better with their efforts. Can''t blame Hughton for two strikers who cost over £13M missing chances!

We have a lot of players injured!

How many of our players would a top 10 club want in their squad?

About 3-4 and thats being generous. Most of our squad are players that bottom 6 Premiership teams and top half Championship teams would want!

Fans were moaning when we were playing one upfront saying it was to defensive and nullifyed the attack. Now fans are moaning about playing with two upfront saying the midfield was a man light! Many other fans have been crying out for Hooper and the Wolf upfront! 

Now I''m no lover of Hughtons managerial style but I can honestly say that I doubt any other manager would get much if any more out of the squad of players we have particularly in yesterdays game. I maintain that had Lambert stayed last season we''d of finished lower than Hughtons 11th place. Look at where Villa finished and ignore all the bull about them being in transition, they''ve been in the top flight continously since 1988, are a bigger club than us with bigger crowds and richer owners.

Oh and Malky Mackays not got a magic wand either. Cardiff are one of the poorest top flight teams I''ve seen this season!

Getting rid of a manager should always be a last resort and we aren''t at that place yet and I don''t think we''d be much if any better off!

Kingsway,

Hoots can do no right in a lot of peoples eys. A lot on here like to moan about anything and everything. Complete over reaction at times.

None of our players would make it into a top ten starting line up. Number one Is we need better players not another manger.. A lot of our current players are just so inconsistent and that is what you pay a lot of money for, w do not have a lot of money.

[quote user="KeepTheFaith"]Kingsway,

Hoots can do no right in a lot of peoples eys. A lot on here like to moan about anything and everything. Complete over reaction at times.

None of our players would make it into a top ten starting line up. Number one Is we need better players not another manger.. A lot of our current players are just so inconsistent and that is what you pay a lot of money for, w do not have a lot of money.[/quote]Has it ever dawned on you that the ''inconsistency'' you keep squeaking about maybe the players being constrained by flawed tactics. If it is not the managers fault then why is he here ?As to getting behind the team I would suggest in politest terms that you shut your gob. There are those on here who have consistently pointed out Hughton''s failing and yet still spend hours upon hour and huge sums of money traveling up and down the country supporting the club and team.This forum is an excellent place to let off steam, and just because fans do it doesn''t mean that they don''t get behind the team on matchday.So remaining polite - wind your neck in.

Cry 1st,

Why the abuse?

I have spent loads of money in my 50 years on my one and only club.

What is it that so annoys you? Am I not allowed a different opinion?

Whatever your view on tactics is why should this effect consistency? So many of our players cannot do the simple things properly and with any level do consistency. That''s the players weakness and not the managers.

We need players of a better standard then the tactics will work.

We both love NCFC so stop the abuse just because I can see the light.

We need players of a better standard then the tactics will work.

Or maybe he could devise tactics that would get the best from the squad that he built?

No City 1st it has never dawned on them.

Hughton can do no wrong in their eyes, we are not allowed to expect better or have ambition, because that upsets the Status Quo and goes against the established thinking. 

The thinking that is; we are only Norwich we must accept our place in the order of things and be damn grateful that you get to watch Man Utd etc each week.

I don''t care if we are playing Man Utd or Mansfield.  I want to watch my team properly compete and do so with the belief we can win.  I never conformed to the establishment. I never believed that I could not do something just because it was ''not the done thing'' and some one said that I could not achieve it.

I believe in our team and the players! There is talent, strength and ability there.  I have seen it although fleeting.  I see so much more capabilty.  We have seen it before. Why is it so wrong to want to see it again?  What law is there that is preventing this?

I''ll tell you what law!  Cowards law!  The fear of losing and the fear of actually winning!  The mediocrity that has become the norm and anyone who dares speak against it is delusional, beyond reason and not knowing their place! Back to the gutter where you belong boy! Well I refuse to bow down to this negativity! A negativity that is dressed up as realism and maturity. B*****ks to it all!

I will continue to shout and cheer the team on at games.  I am a supporter. I support the team! I will always support the club!  But it is a 2 way street.  Give us something to believe in and support.  Just because I don''t believe the manager is right does not mean I don''t believe in the club!

It is because we believe that we complain!  Not because we just want to moan, but because we believe in better!

Do you believe in better or are you so unimaginative that what we see now is acceptable to you?

Why do you go to games?  To watch Norwich or the Opposition?  I am interested to know!

Snake