Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

This ludicrous dismissal of Guitierrez

We have to give him a chance, if the main criticism on this board all season is lack of supply from our current wingers. He can''t do any worse, and playing for a manager where he played his best games, may surprise peopleAs for past his best, everyone on here (well a lot) said Elmander was past his best, and the opinion, despite no goals, zippo goals, nil points, in 20 games, is his work rate, and link up are all very good.For goodness sake give him a chance

[quote user="mrdi"]If we can grind out a couple more 0-0 draws against ''teams we respect''[/quote]You mean every other team in the league...

Understand from coaches he is increasingly seen as a holding midfielder. Cover for a Tettey in the defensive triumvirate is an attacking move de facto, in that it frees us to play with a central 3 allowing Howson/ Fer more attacking freedom and reducing covering requirements for inverted wingers.

[quote user="Samwam27"]We have to give him a chance, if the main criticism on this board all season is lack of supply from our current wingers. He can''t do any worse, and playing for a manager where he played his best games, may surprise people[/quote]Of course he can do worse, in fact he''s consistently done worse than almost all of our current wingers (at least from an attacking perspective that is), but at least we''ll maybe concede a goal or two less by the end of the season in exchange for this...[quote]As for past his best, everyone on here (well a lot) said Elmander was past his best, and the opinion, despite no goals, zippo goals, nil points, in 20 games, is his work rate, and link up are all very good.[/quote]Yes, I''m absolutely enthralled by his 67% pass completion rate, less than 1 key pass a game, and complete inability to put the ball in the back of the net.Not to mention that his 1 in 6 assist ratio is never going to give RVW or Hooper double figures is it...Tell me again what a good job he''s doing for us!

Completely agree with OP - some of the criticism is completely brainless. Reminds me of when we signed other older players, who turned out very well.One frequent poster on here described Dion''s signing as "simply embarrassing."

On reflection a loan move is a win win. He is a big lad who holds the ball and has 22 caps for Argentina which isnt bad at all. There will have to be further additions to get us out of this mess and the loan as opposed to purchase may mean we make a decent purchase as well

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="mrdi"]If we can grind out a couple more 0-0 draws against ''teams we respect''[/quote]You mean every other team in the league...[/quote]

Ding ding!

2008/09 - 23 starts, 0 goals, 3 assists
2009/10 - 34 starts, 4 goals, 7 assists (Championship)
2010/11 - 34 starts, 3 goals, 4 assists
2011/12 - 37 starts, 2 goals, 3 assists
2012/13 - 34 starts, 0 goals, 1 assist
2013/14 - 1 start, 0 goals, 0 asissts
(League record only)

HELP!!!

[quote user="im spartacus"][quote user="InchY_Van_Cureton."]Perhaps the OP would be kind enough to remind us why he couldn''t get a game at Newcastle utd.[/quote]maybe cos newcastle united are quite a bit better than us ? doesn''t mean he can''t do a job... russell martin couldn''t get a game for bloody peterborough united but lambert knew him and the kind of character he was and i think it is fair to say that worked out quite well... nothing to say jonas couldn''t do the same for hooton [/quote]

Papis Cisse can''t get a game there. Guess we wouldn''t want him here either.

[quote user="peateabee"][quote user="Indy_Bones"]My main concern with this signing is not so much that Gutierrez isn''t good enough per se, but it''s indicative that yet again Hughton is shying away from attacking and focusing on even more defence.His best season overall was probably close to 4 years ago, and even then he''s never been prolific from the aspect of supplying forwards with their ammunition, nor is he a consistent goalscorer either.His strengths lie in solid passing (if not spectacular levels of ability), great work rate, whilst being strong and good at helping out defensively.So when we''re in a position where our forwards are crying out for supply, do we really want a ''defensive winger'' rather than someone who can directly influence our key weakness?It really isn''t the players fault there''s a certain degree of apathy about his signing, simply that he''s not the sort of player many of us thought we needed (or indeed were looking for), and it really doesn''t address some of the main areas of concern for fans.Of course I''ll get behind the guy and hope he does a great job for us whilst on loan, but I''m just hoping that it doesn''t mean we''ve got another few months of even more defensive dross to come because of it...[/quote]

I can agree with pretty much all of that[/quote]

And just maybe, he can give us more defensive strength and release Howson and Fer to get forward more. It can be attacking to sign a defensive player if he can free up others. It''s no coincidence that our best performances came when Tettey plays because Howson can push up with more freedom knowing his back is covered.

No matter the results - he ain''t going into the Championship. Already one foot in the lifeboat - not a hungry player looking to seize a chance.

Loan due to age or lack of confidence in our future? Perhaps from him, perhaps from the board.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="peateabee"][quote user="Indy_Bones"]My main concern with this signing is not so much that Gutierrez isn''t good enough per se, but it''s indicative that yet again Hughton is shying away from attacking and focusing on even more defence.His best season overall was probably close to 4 years ago, and even then he''s never been prolific from the aspect of supplying forwards with their ammunition, nor is he a consistent goalscorer either.His strengths lie in solid passing (if not spectacular levels of ability), great work rate, whilst being strong and good at helping out defensively.So when we''re in a position where our forwards are crying out for supply, do we really want a ''defensive winger'' rather than someone who can directly influence our key weakness?It really isn''t the players fault there''s a certain degree of apathy about his signing, simply that he''s not the sort of player many of us thought we needed (or indeed were looking for), and it really doesn''t address some of the main areas of concern for fans.Of course I''ll get behind the guy and hope he does a great job for us whilst on loan, but I''m just hoping that it doesn''t mean we''ve got another few months of even more defensive dross to come because of it...[/quote]

I can agree with pretty much all of that[/quote]

And just maybe, he can give us more defensive strength and release Howson and Fer to get forward more. It can be attacking to sign a defensive player if he can free up others. It''s no coincidence that our best performances came when Tettey plays because Howson can push up with more freedom knowing his back is covered.[/quote]

Tettey is a defensive midfielder though. Gutierrez has always been a left winger. Maybe he has changed his position - he might be quite good in a Tettey role actually, but most people don''t usually look for defensive midfielder qualities in a left winger.

I don''t think he is really for first choice, remember the time when we had so few wingers fit we had to play Leroy Fer wide left? I think this signing is just to avoid situations like that. We know that Hughton was looking for a backup winger after it was announced that Bennett was out for the season.

If this deal was £5million pounds and had him on a three year contract I may be pissed off. However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a cheap short-term loan deal to add some depth and rotation to cover for injuries.

I don''t think anyone is really having a dig at thie signing, just to most it''s not what is expected and to most required.

Is he here to play on the wing or holding midfielder or rightback? To be fair as a loan it''s a no brainer to increase the squad.

I do hope that we find a quality CB and creative midfielder before the end of the transfer window!

Everyone should be content with this signing but not inspired.

Last point, some on here go back to Dublin coming back at 37 and I have to say it didn''t work nor did Cureton coming back, although not embarssing, was uninspiring at the time and not in the same bracket as Peter''s or Channon signings....world cup winner & great player of his day!! IMO

People slating this signing should be ashamed of themselves.

This isn''t our only signing at midnight on deadline day and even if it ends up being that we have an ex Argentina international with great Prem experience and only on loan.

Honestly, this criticism of Gutierrez alongside suggestions from some that we should be approaching AVB, Bielsa and Van Basten as a replacement manager leaves me concluding that some of us have deluded visions of this club.

We are a small fish in a big pond without billionaire owners ... GET REAL!

[quote user="Northern Canary"]longtime reader, firstime poster.

This instant dismissal of Guitierrez from a large number of posts on this board is frankly ludicrous, Chris Hughton has an excellent track record with signings with very few going wrong.

To instantly dismiss the guy before hes even kicked a ball, let alone signed for the club is just crazy to me, just seems like some people will use any old excuse to have a dig at Hughton.

Its been said many a time that our wingers this season have been largely disappointing, especially in their final delivery so the signing to me makes good sense, especially if its a loan deal, as i feel Jonas- an experienced top flight footballer can address this and aid our survival for another year.

Get behind the club, the manager and the players.[/quote]

Why get behind the manager when the players don''t?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]This is 1973 and Trevor Hockey...

...all over again. If in relegation trouble sign a player with a wild hair and a beard...

[/quote]Curses. Perhaps the Trevor Hockey pic will come out this time...

Don''t know how to take this, do we really need another left winger/back, wonder how much he''ll be on, enough to p-ss off some members of the squad i expect, just a thought

Looks like Holt''s departure wasn''t a certaity

they made a shirt for him

IMO, Gutierrez offers another option on the flanks as well as a range of alternatives that City could have done with the injuries we''ve had. This is the time for an experienced PL player who can slot in immediately, not a young player for the future. Good signing for me.

Yeah good signing for me too. Wasn''t sure at first but the more I think about it the more I think that this is a good deal. What we want now is a domineering centre half and I will be happy. Tettey,Howson fit add to Guti and Fer plus Pilkington ,Snodgrass and Redmond. If we don''t stay up I will be shocked

Been speaking with some friends who are Newcastle fans and they still rate him highly. Also he is keen on getting game time in the run up to the world cup

Historically he is a right winger but switched to the left at Newcastle and with our injuries (E Benno & Pilks) and also Snodgrass struggling with a few niggles I think this is a really clever signing. Gets some serious contention for places with Redmond, Snodgrass, Murphy & Gutierrez fit

Spartacus the reason Necastle are quite a bit better than us is because they have a better squad than us is very true so how is signing their misfits going to improve our chanches of becoming better than them?

[quote user="City1st"]Looks like Holt''s departure wasn''t a certaity

they made a shirt for him

[/quote]

Thats a sail from a boat surely ! And i got laughed at for calling him a bat fastard !