Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

This ludicrous dismissal of Guitierrez

longtime reader, firstime poster.

This instant dismissal of Guitierrez from a large number of posts on this board is frankly ludicrous, Chris Hughton has an excellent track record with signings with very few going wrong.

To instantly dismiss the guy before hes even kicked a ball, let alone signed for the club is just crazy to me, just seems like some people will use any old excuse to have a dig at Hughton.

Its been said many a time that our wingers this season have been largely disappointing, especially in their final delivery so the signing to me makes good sense, especially if its a loan deal, as i feel Jonas- an experienced top flight footballer can address this and aid our survival for another year.

Get behind the club, the manager and the players.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Signings made by unpopular managers will always be dismissed by those who find it impossible to make a judgement for themselves - when Roeder signed Hoolahan most people said he was useless etc.[/quote]Agree with this and the OP.I do not rate Hughton as a coach, and want him out of this club toot sweet, but his record in the transfer market is pretty good.And, if Gutierrez does sign, the very least we can do is give the guy a chance. He may be just what we need. He may be a letdown. But it is silly to write him off from Day One.

Perhaps the OP would be kind enough to remind us why he couldn''t get a game at Newcastle utd.

I checked him out on FM14 and hes crap.There are some good Youtube clips though.This is all I need to know.Hey, you know me, ill be the first to admit im wrong if hes good. But it seems like Hoootan is buying in his old mates.

Completely agree Northern.

I also always read, never post on here, but felt the need to say something. The negativity around the potential signing of Guitierrez is ridiculous.

For me, hes the kind of player we need at the moment. Someone who can add strength and experience to a midfield that has been over run too many times this season.

Give the guy a chance!

Maybe he had a fall out with Pardew

Maybe he is playing away with Pardews daughter, chairmanship daughter, players wife

Maybe they bought a new player that is better

Maybe Pardew plays a system that doesn''t suit him

Maybe......we ought to not write him off before he has played a game.

Sometimes I wonder who you lot expect us to sign, you''d all find a problem with Messi, probably be too small, doesn''t speak English, likes a lie-in or any other load of old tosh that can be assumed or made up.

Surely everybody knows why Newcastle aren''t playing him?

If he plays again for Newcastle he gets a big pay rise, that is why they won''t play him again.

Still it''s nice that Becchio will have someone to chat with on the bench.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Signings made by unpopular managers will always be dismissed by those who find it impossible to make a judgement for themselves - when Roeder signed Hoolahan most people said he was useless etc.[/quote]Thats not how I remember it. I remember Hoolahan tearing us apart for Blackpool and everyone being very pleased that we''d picked him up as one of Roeder''s "new heros" that never quite materialised, especially as he cost a pittance because of his release clause.

[quote user="Northern Canary"]longtime reader, firstime poster.

This instant dismissal of Guitierrez from a large number of posts on this board is frankly ludicrous, Chris Hughton has an excellent track record with signings with very few going wrong.

To instantly dismiss the guy before hes even kicked a ball, let alone signed for the club is just crazy to me, just seems like some people will use any old excuse to have a dig at Hughton.

Its been said many a time that our wingers this season have been largely disappointing, especially in their final delivery so the signing to me makes good sense, especially if its a loan deal, as i feel Jonas- an experienced top flight footballer can address this and aid our survival for another year.

Get behind the club, the manager and the players.[/quote]
You should know how it works around here.  You slag a player off before he kicks a ball.  It''s the Norwich way innit.

Personally, I really like Jonas.

Has a lovely smile, great hair, seems a really nice guy.

That aside, I reckon he''ll be good for us on the pitch. He''ll probably show Leroy a thing or two about workrate and application, too.

Unless he turns out to be a complete duffer performance-wise, I fail to see why Jonas could be a bad signing.

"InchY_Van_Cureton."Perhaps the OP would be kind enough to remind us why he couldn''t get a game at Newcastle utd.

Maybe it''s because they have a very strong midfield at the moment and it was hard to dislodge them? Who knows?

"I do not rate Hughton as a coach, and want him out of this club toot

sweet, but his record in the transfer market is pretty good."

He is one voice amongst many - the signings are not ''his''Frankly at this stage I am not too bothered if other fans say ''he is past his best''.We were told that about Peters, O''Neill, Channon and DublinLet''s see him play first ... then judge

[quote user="City1st"]"I do not rate Hughton as a coach, and want him out of this club toot

sweet, but his record in the transfer market is pretty good."

He is one voice amongst many - the signings are not ''his''Frankly at this stage I am not too bothered if other fans say ''he is past his best''.We were told that about Peters, O''Neill, Channon and DublinLet''s see him play first ... then judge

[/quote]
Bloody hell, it was WWIII on here when he was signed... then he left a hero.

Wouldn''t have signed him myself, but he is here now so I will be behind him all the way. Hope he does well, seems like a nice chap and he will almost certainly provide a great benchmark and example in training of the type or effort and intensity which we like to see in our players.

Madness.

We sign RvW people get on his back after a handful of games saying he''s useless and unproven despite a very very good European record.

Sign a player with over 150 English football matches and he''s useless Aswell?

We are short of width and missing pilks/Bennett, both are first team players. We spend loads on a winger then 1 of them surely has to be sold, signing jonas is ideal cover and a player we need IMO.

I''ve actually decided Jonas is my new favourite City player.

AND he looks slightly Messianic.

My main concern with this signing is not so much that Gutierrez isn''t good enough per se, but it''s indicative that yet again Hughton is shying away from attacking and focusing on even more defence.His best season overall was probably close to 4 years ago, and even then he''s never been prolific from the aspect of supplying forwards with their ammunition, nor is he a consistent goalscorer either.His strengths lie in solid passing (if not spectacular levels of ability), great work rate, whilst being strong and good at helping out defensively.So when we''re in a position where our forwards are crying out for supply, do we really want a ''defensive winger'' rather than someone who can directly influence our key weakness?It really isn''t the players fault there''s a certain degree of apathy about his signing, simply that he''s not the sort of player many of us thought we needed (or indeed were looking for), and it really doesn''t address some of the main areas of concern for fans.Of course I''ll get behind the guy and hope he does a great job for us whilst on loan, but I''m just hoping that it doesn''t mean we''ve got another few months of even more defensive dross to come because of it...

[quote user="InchY_Van_Cureton."]Perhaps the OP would be kind enough to remind us why he couldn''t get a game at Newcastle utd.[/quote]maybe cos newcastle united are quite a bit better than us ? doesn''t mean he can''t do a job... russell martin couldn''t get a game for bloody peterborough united but lambert knew him and the kind of character he was and i think it is fair to say that worked out quite well... nothing to say jonas couldn''t do the same for hooton

[quote user="InchY_Van_Cureton."]Perhaps the OP would be kind enough to remind us why he couldn''t get a game at Newcastle utd.[/quote]maybe cos newcastle united are quite a bit better than us ? doesn''t mean he can''t do a job... russell martin couldn''t get a game for bloody peterborough united but lambert knew him and the kind of character he was and i think it is fair to say that worked out quite well... nothing to say jonas couldn''t do the same for hooton

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]My main concern with this signing is not so much that Gutierrez isn''t good enough per se, but it''s indicative that yet again Hughton is shying away from attacking and focusing on even more defence.His best season overall was probably close to 4 years ago, and even then he''s never been prolific from the aspect of supplying forwards with their ammunition, nor is he a consistent goalscorer either.His strengths lie in solid passing (if not spectacular levels of ability), great work rate, whilst being strong and good at helping out defensively.So when we''re in a position where our forwards are crying out for supply, do we really want a ''defensive winger'' rather than someone who can directly influence our key weakness?It really isn''t the players fault there''s a certain degree of apathy about his signing, simply that he''s not the sort of player many of us thought we needed (or indeed were looking for), and it really doesn''t address some of the main areas of concern for fans.Of course I''ll get behind the guy and hope he does a great job for us whilst on loan, but I''m just hoping that it doesn''t mean we''ve got another few months of even more defensive dross to come because of it...[/quote]

I can agree with pretty much all of that

[quote user="Alfie54"]Seems to me at the very least a step up from playing Garrido on the wing![/quote]

agree with that too

I actually think it''s a clever signing. We need better energy infront of the back four. Irrespective of CH''s initial aims to make us defensively tighter, we''re not. If we can grind out a couple more 0-0 draws against ''teams we respect'' then y''know, we could be looking at 17th afterall...