Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

If/when we go down....

Looking at the fixtures remaining I cannot see us studying up under CH- and it is too late to change manager now- so if we do go down...which is certainly very possible if not likely due to form

...which players do you think will stay and do a shift? Which of these would do well? Do you think we will do a West Brom and bounce back or a Wolves and drop even further or a Norwich last time round and sit mid champ dullness for a decade?

And what is our level?

Still lots to play for but i agree we probably only have a realistic chance of points from 12 fixtures. We need to put 5 wins on the board which does not look like happening. If we go down our nice financial situation will soon look a thing of the past. Even with relegation clauses our wage bill will probably outstrip parachute payments. I have not got a clue as to which players will stay, i suspect it will be wholesale change with many being picked off by lower EPL clubs and newly promoted ones. The record of clubs making a quick return after relegation is not a good one. The next 2 home games will give a good clue as to the future,2 wins and things are looking good, no wins and we will be bottom 3 if not bottom!

Every game we play without a win, - is it seven now?, makes it harder to pull clear of other teams, most of who are now getting the occasional win. So I do not rule out relegation by any means.

The terrible result could be dire. I would imagine that players with a marketable value will want away, - RvW, Hooper, Ruddy, Fer, in particular. We shall probably lose some of our investment, as other clubs recognise our weak bargaining position. We have gained a few players on this basis ourselves.

Yorkshire Canary is right, - the next two or so games could determine our season.

There aren''t many ''big wage flops'' we have on our books.

I guess RVW could become one, but that''s about it. Fer would get another club easily, Redmond might even leave back to the premiership, Olsson would go to Stoke, Bassong would find a move back to the premiership too.

After that, there''s not a load of permanent players on big money.

I think we''d be well equipped to come straight back up but make no mistake, that''s the toughest league in the world to get out of.

If we went down, I reckon we''d be back up after about 5 years.

Every time we win, we can "afford" to lose 2. If we drew the rest (and win one and lose one to make up for the point behind) we''d have the point a game i think we''ll need.

A win vs Hull and things will start to look reasonably good again. Anything else, we look ropey.

Hopefully Jonas can counteract El Mohammedy''s work rate.

it''s an interesting question, and hopefully not one that will need to be answered! 

For what it''s worth, i could see most of our defenders staying (possible exceptions Ruddy, Bassong and Olsson, though i''m not sure that Ruddy will be particularly high on any Prem team''s shopping list any more) - from the rest of the squad, we''d probably lose Fer, Howson, Redmond, maybe Snodgrass, maybe Tettey, Hooper and RvW (though if RvW fails to click in the next few months i''m not sure who would take him off our hands).  Players like Becchio, Fox, Surman, Garrido, Ayala may well leave regardless of what division we''re in... and of course Elmander and Gutierrez are only here on loan. 

I reckon we have enough to stay up, but I''m sure it''ll be very close right up to the end of the season.  COYY!