Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Gutierrez the right back?

Could he be signing to play right back for us?

Hughton doesn''t seem overly convinced by either of our current ones and Gutierrez has played there quite a bit.

What makes you think Hughton isn''t overly convinced by them?
Both of them are fine, don''t know why people think our RB should be tackling every left winger. How often does Redmond get tackled? Even Snoddy doesn''t lose the ball to the FB all that much and he struggles to beat his man. FBs don''t actually win the ball that much, but for some reason our fans have an obsession with ours being rubbish when a winger beats them and/or gets a cross in. Martin is very good at limiting the space for a winger as far as i''m concerned.
And just to be that person, why another thread? I already mentioned him playing RB in the other thread, as did at least one other poster. And he hasn''t played their quite a bit I don''t think, as far as I can remember it was mostly for Maradona who proved to be a rubbish coach, despite having a dozen others helping him.

I think he has been signed partly due to his ability to play in many different positions.

I have a feeling he will be mostly used on the left of midfield, a wide-midfielder more than a winger. So far this season both Fer and Garrido have been tried in that role, without much success but it is perfect for Gutierrez. This will allow Norwich to play two strikers and use Snodgrass or Redmond on the right to attack.

Hughton said after Everton that it''s hard to play two strikers without losing the midfield battle - having someone like Jonas means Norwich can keep a three man midfield as well as having both Hooper and RvW on the pitch.

If he plays RB then we have three competing for the place. Most seem to think that this is unlikely.

So if he plays right wing, then he will be competing with Snoddy, Redmond and eventually Benno. Does this make any more sense.

Or does he play left wing? Here he will be competing with Pilks, and the two Murphy brothers. Are we looking at a Pilks departure (to Swansea?)

Presumably he is quick, and his photo shows a solid, even bulky figure. Could he play in the centre of midfield?

Or is it that he knows Hughton, needs first team football to show his value for Brazil, and comes relatively cheaply? Does Hughton really know where he will play him, but is desperate for a signing?

These and other questions could be answered soon.

Just while right-backs are being mentioned, I''m not sure if it got much attention at the weekend but Whittaker''s long, deep ball over the top of the Everton defence and into Hooper''s path was magnificent.

[quote user="Salopian"]If he plays RB then we have three competing for the place. Most seem to think that this is unlikely. So if he plays right wing, then he will be competing with Snoddy, Redmond and eventually Benno. Does this make any more sense. Or does he play left wing? Here he will be competing with Pilks, and the two Murphy brothers. Are we looking at a Pilks departure (to Swansea?) Presumably he is quick, and his photo shows a solid, even bulky figure. Could he play in the centre of midfield? Or is it that he knows Hughton, needs first team football to show his value for Brazil, and comes relatively cheaply? Does Hughton really know where he will play him, but is desperate for a signing? These and other questions could be answered soon.[/quote]

He''s played in the centre of midfield for Newcastle. Don''t think of him as a winger like Pilks, Redmond, Snodgrass etc. He''ll play wide, but he won''t be looking to make lots of runs behind the opposition full back, more cover Olsson and add an extra player in the midfield when the opposition has the ball.

He could even play defensive midfield as he has all the requirements to. As I said, think how Fer played against WBA - nominally on the left wing, but he tucked in a lot and operated more like a midfielder.

Yep, credit to Whittaker for that. Hooper should have scored. I saw Macclesfield score a similar goal last week (I think it was them).

As for why i get the impression Hughton isn''t convinced, he can''t decide who to play out of them, both have been dropped after poor games already and I get the feeling if it happened again, Jonas could find his way in at right back.

I hope his signing is one of at least a couple because we need more than him to come in. I can see where he can be useful though.

[quote user="GJP"]

Just while right-backs are being mentioned, I''m not sure if it got much attention at the weekend but Whittaker''s long, deep ball over the top of the Everton defence and into Hooper''s path was magnificent.

[/quote]Well it was, GJP. And fair play to him for it. But is it not a sign of how collectively desperate we are coming as fans that we pick out one pass from a RB , that eventually led to nothing, as something that stands out from our team over 90 mins of football ?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Yep, credit to Whittaker for that. Hooper should have scored. I saw Macclesfield score a similar goal last week (I think it was them). As for why i get the impression Hughton isn''t convinced, he can''t decide who to play out of them, both have been dropped after poor games already and I get the feeling if it happened again, Jonas could find his way in at right back. I hope his signing is one of at least a couple because we need more than him to come in. I can see where he can be useful though.[/quote]

Both of them have been dropped after decent games too, which is even more baffling.

You certainly don''t get the feeling Hughton knows who is the better player in that position. You look at left-back and since he got in the team Olsson hasn''t been budged from it.

right back? I''m sure he has almost always played left wing for newcastle! neither was he ever exactly a linch pin of their centre midfield as other people are making out. To be fair to him he is the type of player who could probably ''do a job'' in any of those positions, but is that really what the side needs?

He''s a player that gives everything he has game after game, we don''t seem to have many of those these days so a step in the right direction for me.

You don''t get caps for Argentina without being a decent, ok it was a few years ago bit the point is he''s obviously got some quality and the kind of attributes we need at the moment.

I''ll reserve proper judgement when a) he has actually signed and b) he has pulled on the shirt

Playing Gutierrez on the left would keep our midfield a little more compact but offer a reasonable attacking outlet, something we lack on that side of the pitch at the moment. Redmond for all his attacking endeavour doesn''t provide Olsson with a lot of protection. Snoddy does this well on the right but doesn''t provide the pace on the counter that we need. Would help us play the diamond more effectively, as Johnson never played that role well....

----------------Ruddy-----------------

Martin - Turner - Bassong - Olsson

-----------------Fer--------------------

Snodgrass----------------Gutierrez

Hoolahan

Hooper----RVW

I believe we have signed Argentinian James Milner. We''ll have to wait and see if that''s a good thing or not.

[quote user="splutcho"]I believe we have signed Argentinian James Milner. We''ll have to wait and see if that''s a good thing or not.[/quote]

The Argentinian James Milner... I like that!

Milner is usually one of my first buys on FM when I manage a big team; perfect cover for all the midfield positions and great work rate.

The diamond would be much more viable with Jonas I think.

But Snoddy would be competition for Hoolahan, not LCM. Because a diamond is two CMS not two wingers as many seem to think. So a player like Jonas is perfect because he can and does go out wide, kind of like Lappin in league one.