Sign in to follow this  
wcorkcanary

pilks in talks with swansea

In the Irish examiner newspaper...but not on their online edition or i would have posted link it says '' Norwich midfielder in talks with Swans regarding a move to wales''...can anyone add anything to this. would hate to lose him as when fit , is one of our best.

Huw Jenkins came out in response to this rumour the other day and said Swansea have no interest in Pilkington and that Swansea don''t buy ''injured players''.

I know that technically Pilkington isn''t injured now but I think the message is still pretty clear - also not sure why the Irish Examiner would have any extra insight into Pilkington''s transfer movements.

if true I would be gutted. but could see why he would consider it.

he''s a bit injury prone, and with the murphys, redmond, and now Gutierrez all all fighting for a spot on the left side, and the majority of them + snodders and soon to be Benno fighting for the right, he may find limited opportunities when fit here.

all we can hope for is if it does happen we get a fair price.

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]In the Irish examiner newspaper...but not on their online edition or i would have posted link it says '' Norwich midfielder in talks with Swans regarding a move to wales''...can anyone add anything to this. would hate to lose him as when fit , is one of our best.[/quote]

I wouldn''t be surprised in the least with the rubbish thats been going on at Carrow Road lately.

This is a transfer window to retain and strengthen the squad;   the only departees should be Fox or Ayala and maybe Becchio if we sign another striker,   and some loans.

I think Pilks has 18 months + a possible 12 month option;   he has the quality we are missing and if we sell him (and thanks BY&G for the insight) I will be more disappointed than I have for a long time - and more than if we sold Wessi.  

Irish Examiner very hot on all ''Irish'' players, they reckon that Gutierez is his replacement. I have no answer as to how they would know so much, but wouldnt we say the same as swansea till a deal is done? Who''d want the deal hijacked by liverpool who apparently showed interest before....an agent perhaps.

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]Actually i think he has 6 months on his contract , we have option of another 12 , totalling 18 months.[/quote]

quite right

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]Irish Examiner very hot on all ''Irish'' players, they reckon that Gutierez is his replacement. I have no answer as to how they would know so much, but wouldnt we say the same as swansea till a deal is done? Who''d want the deal hijacked by liverpool who apparently showed interest before....an agent perhaps.[/quote]

Irish Examiner do have good sources with the Irish players - often coming through exchanges with family members (or so I have heard). I don''t think Pilkington really has any close family in Ireland, or neither has he been over there long enough to have any reporters attach themselves to him.

I don''t think a club would come out with such a strong statement, especially slightly nasty comment about ''injured players'' if they had an intention. Would have been a blander ''we don''t comment on speculation'' style comment. I really don''t think Liverpool have had any interest in Pilkington, certainly not in the last couple of years.

Maybe this has come via an agent wanting to push Norwich to take up that contract extension - because with his current injury record I can''t see Pilkington getting any better offers than Norwich right now. The most likely reason for the ''story'' is just a piece of mindless January speculation - Pilks was rumoured earlier to be going to Swansea and I don''t think the Jenkins'' statement got a lot of coverage. If the Irish Examiner aren''t confident enough to put the story online, they probably aren''t working off any great source or tip-off.

On one hand I could see why Pilkington would be a player we''d be prepared to sell - he does *seem* to be injured a lot (and was injured when we signed him, which raised my eyebrows at the time)...

...however with 76 appearances (in all competitions) since he joined us, he''s hardly a permanent sicknote and when he''s fit, he''s in the team.

Also he averages 1 goal in every 5 games which for a midfielder isn''t a bad ratio, right?

Irrespective of the injuries he suffers (part of how he plays the game, I guess) I think of him as one of our most important players. I''d be well pi55ed if we sold him.

I''ve often thought he could play off a striker, too. As someone posted above, we''re hardly short of wide men (if they''re all fit)... so perhaps a more central role could suit him and *just maybe* mean his game changes slightly to keep him fit more often?

Probably a waste of time, this post. He''s probably in Swansea right now chewing over a lovely big contract offer, while our Chris is busy reallocating the wages for a dependable defensive midfielder like Darron Gibson, Paul Scharner or Rory Delap.