Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Next Manager

Failing to beat Hull will probably see the end of Hughtons reign, i dont think theres many realistic choices who could take over but who would be your choice,

Steve Clarke

Neil Lennon

Malky Mackay (If Legally Allowed)

Gianfranco Zola

Steve Bruce.
Don''t want Mackay, he''s no better than Hughton. May give a temporary lift and keep us up if Hughton was sacked, but we would be in the same situation this time next season I think.
Lennon maybe, but don''t think he''ll be leaving Celtic any time soon. Zola faded badly at Watford, would be a risk. Not sure wether or not he''d be a worthwhile risk. And Clarke, see Mackay.

Neil Lennon won''t come to a bottom half team - not mid way through the season at least - may be in summer when he has commitments re buying new players.

Malky has said he''s not available until sorts out legal issues so that would be another end of season job.

Clarke and Zola are possibilities, but left on the back of worst series of results that we are on - do we really want to do this?

I''m sure there are others, but realistically an appointment mid season will be compromised - a short term decision. More realistically a caretaker from within, but everyone on these boards are just as unhappy with the coaches as Houghton. Neil Adams is quoted, but again do you want someone with no managerial experience trying to save us.

We''re best getting behind Hughton, hopefully add a signing or two as we''ve done previously to refresh in January and scrape through.

The debate should take place at end of season, but of course if we''re safe again he''s done the job expected and will be given another go.

If he fails we''ve got to start again.

We don''t have much choice - we must give the manager and this group of players all the support for the last 17 games or so.

The leading candidate would be from either Clarke or Mackay.

To best offset any possibility of a manager needing time to familiarise himself with the club and squad I would suggest teaming the new man up with Neil Adams who has the advantage of knowing the club enough to identify where we need improving.

None of the above needs to be permanent (interim to the end of the season would be acceptable) , the club would then have time to scout ahead of other teams considering a change in the summer.

[quote user="Kings Man"]Neil Lennon won''t come to a bottom half team - not mid way through the season at least - may be in summer when he has commitments re buying new players.

Malky has said he''s not available until sorts out legal issues so that would be another end of season job.

Clarke and Zola are possibilities, but left on the back of worst series of results that we are on - do we really want to do this?

I''m sure there are others, but realistically an appointment mid season will be compromised - a short term decision. More realistically a caretaker from within, but everyone on these boards are just as unhappy with the coaches as Houghton. Neil Adams is quoted, but again do you want someone with no managerial experience trying to save us.

We''re best getting behind Hughton, hopefully add a signing or two as we''ve done previously to refresh in January and scrape through.

The debate should take place at end of season, but of course if we''re safe again he''s done the job expected and will be given another go.

If he fails we''ve got to start again.

We don''t have much choice - we must give the manager and this group of players all the support for the last 17 games or so.[/quote]Good post, sums up my feelings too.

None that is profilic English manager. I would go for Cristophe Galtier, if he would like to move bigger league.

Anyway would keep Hughton at least until the summer. I''m still quite sure we will stay up and changing now would risk our survival.

Not that we would need a change in my opinion.

Guidloin would be my main choice (would prefer Favre but he''s not going to leave Borussia any time soon), with Rijkaard as a strong alternative.

As poor as I think Hughton is I''d rather stick with him than any of those names mentioned especially Phelan or Zola *Shudders* You lot do know football exists outside of England right? There''s loads of managers out there, the need for experience in this league is completely irrelevant

Having been concerned about taking inexperienced candidates into a manager''s job I have had a rethink.

It pains me to say so, but Sir Alex Ferguson has been the most successful manager in our history and his judgement has rarely been wrong.

Some of his previous assistants have been:

Brian Kidd, who is well respected as a coach and part of the Manchester City success.

Steve McClaren went on to manage England, win a trophy in the Netherlands and is now doing well at Derby.

Carlos Quieroz who left to manage Real Madrid.

The last of his assistants was Mike Phelan who held the job since 2008.

Many people in football seem to believe that Phelan was more than just slightly involved in the success of the team (and Phelan believe''s that as well).

Based on the lack of other, experienced proven candidates my hopes are for the return of the former player to the hot seat, should Hughton move on.

None of these thanks.

I get a feeling that if we do change that it will be the Gunny situation all over again, regardless of who is appointed. Remember when he took over we were not in the bottom three just like now, and in my opinion (although this will be unpopular) I thought we would have stayed up, but only just, had we not changed then. Anyway, it ended up with us getting PL and those great times so a negative turned into a positive then, but I fear would not this time. 

We should all hold our nerve!!!

I think modern football premier league is moving to a more European style so I think a young foreign manager who no idea ?? but must be a good manager at one of spains or French german clubs the bonus of this is he will know a lot of talent maybe unheard of yet in this country

downside is he will not know our players and the league !!

I don''t really want to go for malky lennon Clarke to English style for me look at how Rodgers went to Barcelona to learn their training styles I lambert has his years in german think hard work should be there if you are a professional footballer and some English managers focus to much on that  lets see some flair for a change  

someone with European football for me who god knows ??? gamble yes but I think we need to progress to the next stage and to do that sometimes you have to roll the dice

I agree morty but the people who run the club know far more about football than me and you so would be far less of a gamble to them !

It''s a gamble either way - keeping Hughton or getting someone new. Based on the evidence before me then I''d have to plump for the someone new because as I see it, nobody could do worse.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]

I agree morty but the people who run the club know far more about football than me and you so would be far less of a gamble to them !

[/quote]I wouldn''t say far less.The timing is all wrong, if the board wanted him out, after the Fulham (the recent one lol) game would have been the time. Giving themselves time to get someone in, and identify the new man''s targets for the transfer window.As it stands there will have been a huge amount of work done in the background to identify, and negotiate for, Hughtons transfer targets.Now, could you get a new man in, and start from scratch in the remaining few weeks of the window? I don''t think so, which is why I subscribe to the opinion that its a safer option to stick with what we have got, and review the situation again at the end of the season.

[quote user="Making Plans"]It''s a gamble either way - keeping Hughton or getting someone new. Based on the evidence before me then I''d have to plump for the someone new because as I see it, nobody could do worse.[/quote]And you think the logic of "He couldn''t do any worse" really stands up to scrutiny? I bet that we could get someone in that could do a lot, lot worse.

morty IF they sacked hoots tomorrow would you go English or a foreign manger  I know you said review end of season but what if it happened tomorrow ?

[quote user="norfolkngood"]morty IF they sacked hoots tomorrow would you go English or a foreign manger  I know you said review end of season but what if it happened tomorrow ?[/quote]But its not going to happen tomorrow.There are no available candidates in my head right now that stand out.

id like lennon, i just cant see him coming here despite him having achieved all he can at celtic, he reminds me of lambert. aside from that id be happy with either phelan or malky, or both, in fact both would be amazing, phelans experience with malkys passion, dream team.

Posted comments along this line earlier (Football A funny old game...Discuss)

My observation was that compared to Dutch, French, Italian and German clubs our thinking re coaches and players is insular and outdated (throw into that the difference in ticket prices and supporter ownership), the excuse being "the demands of the league mean we must conform to certain philosophy".

20 years ago we out-thought good dutch and german sides and were close to a top Italian side. Under Stringer and Walker our movement, passing and positional awareness was a match for these sides, compared to now where english football is far behind.

As for the "inexperience foreigner" tag I would rather take a young coach from a country with a sophisticated level of football over an experienced british coach.

We have to stick with the current management team; our future is critically dependent on getting some fresh faces in; that process will not be aided by the uncertainty caused by appointing a new team; I just hope that Hull is not defined as a ''bogey team''.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Well I still remember when nobody could do worse than Worthy...[/quote]And Delia.......Worthy was sacked and things DID get worse.Delia stayed and things got a lot better.

Im pretty certain that Hootan is not the man for the job now. Ive always been in the get rid but there is no replacement so stick camp.After yesterday Ive decided that im now up for a gamble, so we going down anyway so fire the useless git and get someone else in.