Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Sin bins ...... yes or no ?

being looked at, again10 -15 mins off the pitch and penalises the offending team there and thenso ''benefit''s opposing teamdownsides .............. ?

Number 9 wrote the following post at 13/01/2014 10:22 PM:

For internet trolls

10 to 15 minutes off the board you mean?

I think it''s a good idea in principle. Teams sinned against would get the benefit and not the next team in the fixture list.At least we might see some natural justice.How it will work in practice needs some thought.

[quote user="splutcho"]Sorry if I''ve missed it, but for what offence? A booking?[/quote]That I''m not sure of, but a booking would be sensible benchmark - and the same sanction for bookings could apply ie 5 sin bins and you get a one match banI''m sure it is not as easy as that but it does make some sort of sense as Ricardo puts it (more eloquently) At the moment I can''t see any major flaw, and maybe it would mean more ''instant justice'' as with the red card when the defender stops a clear cut chance at goal.

ps for those wanting a comment at the expense of our impoverished neighbours I''m sure there is a joke there about the numerous criminals and betting fraudsters that have recently frequented poorman road

It would add a bit more excitement to our games, instead of goals for!

Be ok for the Murphy''sone could get sinbinned, then his brother comes onand is latter subbed by the first one

works in principle but dont think it will ever work in football. Poor old Rat boy would never get any game time. Plus in theory its still down to the ref. If he missed the dive / foul in the first place then surely a sin bin would be obsolete because he should call a free kick or w/e anyway ?Only thing to do is to use video ref''s and replay things. But again, add another 45 mins onto game time in this case and part of the speed of the game would be lost to pauses and replays. Sky would have a field day with advertising, then we would get like the Super Bowl. IE: Pepsi pay Liverpool £5m to have Saurez get injured in extra time 1-1 so they can throw in an advert for thier refreshing beverage while he recovers and the replay is watched.

that is the major fear that it could degenerate into some akin to grid which is no more than a load of contrived nonsense to provide breaks between the adshowever I think it is used in similar sports to football and a yellow card would mean being sent off for 10 mins - any delay being added to the 10 minsno need for any other interference

Sounds good, however I can''t think how you''d fit it in with the yellow and red card system.
Unless it''s used for the silliness in the penalty area with the pushing, pulling and wrestling at corners and free kicks. 

"Unless it''s used for the silliness in the penalty area"half the bu ggers would be off in that casethe concern might be that given how subjective it is then it could well distort games whereby if a team had two players in the bin they might simply '' go into a shell'' until their players returnedlikewise would a ref be willing to sinbin a third, however bad if the other two were already off ?sounds a good idea, until you  look into it

It makes hockey very exciting but hockey is much faster and played on a much smaller surface.

I think it would typically slow down an otherwise exciting football match as the shorthanded team adopts the Hughton style of play for the duration.

Also, being out for 15 min and suddenly thrust back into the game might result in more injuries of the pulled muscle type.

They can sit on an exercise bike on the side of the pitch and peddle to keep warm.

Or run around the ground and get rotten tomatoes thrown them.

Rugby make it work in conjuction with yellow and red cards so I am sure teh detail can be thrashed out.

A complete yes for me.

They are also looking at players getting sent off when giving away a penalty (double penalty for that team)I think it''s about time, the player gets sent off for preventing a goal scoring chance only for the ref to give them a goalscoring chance !

I assume that really "nasty" offences will still involve a sending off for the remainder of the match. For lesser offences, including arguing with the ref, shirt pulling, etc., the sin bin sounds a good idea.

Premiership football is being ruined by small expert fouls- e.g. shirt pulling or obstruction. If offenders and refs knew that if seen these offences would mean 15 minutes down to ten men, it might help to reduce the practices.

Nothing can be done once an offence is missed by the ref, but if he gives one and an off-pitch video reveals to the off-pitch ref that there has been an injustice, he could communicate with the on-pitch official and reduce the exclusion to just a few minutes.

As things stand, refs seem to be reluctant to show cards until the player has been warned once or twice. Sin bins could mean that players are at risk even early on if they commit an offence, knowing that they will be excluded only for 15 minutes. This could lead to an improvement in behaviour. At the moment players know that short of breaking someone''s leg they are unlikely to be penalised on the first occasion.

It seems to work in Rugby, why not give it a try for football?

[quote user="Houston Canary"]It makes hockey very exciting but hockey is much faster and played on a much smaller surface.

I think it would typically slow down an otherwise exciting football match as the shorthanded team adopts the Hughton style of play for the duration.

Also, being out for 15 min and suddenly thrust back into the game might result in more injuries of the pulled muscle type.[/quote]

No this Is England If my vote was needed to oppose any Yank idea I would vote willingly, they call Rugby football and wear armour to play it, We Play FOOTBALL NOT SOCCER,

I''m neither for nor against in principle, but agree that there is plenty to debate.

Presumably it sits between a yellow and a red card in harshness. It would double the standard amount of controversy you seem to see with many card decisions! "Well that was never a sin bin, it''s got to be either a yellow or a red, but there''s no way it could have been a sin bin" etc 

There is a plus side to that though, as a ref who was not 100% certain of the red could ratchet it down to the bin. Likewise it offers a ''yellow plus'' in cases where a player has done a professional foul not meriting sending him off, but needing a stronger response than waving something in the air.

Where it won''t help too much in my view are the offences which cause the greatest frustrations - such as simulation, handballs, and hidden dangerous and vicious fouls. That is because as somebody said, the ones we talk about are the ones that get missed or misinterpreted by the match officials.

Funnily enough simulation has been touted by Blatter / Platini as demanding more than a yellow. Fine if you spot it & interpret it correctly, but there will continue to be precious few which are clear and obvious enough to punish. The refs are already reluctant to show the yellow for these offences, so I predict little or no change.

It will make more of a difference in football compared to rugby as you lose 10% of your outfield team compared to only 7% of a rugby team''s active players. For that reason I expect the sin bin proposal to be only 10 minutes off.

A further question:

2 yellows = red

1 yellow + 1 bin = red? or another bin?

2 bins = red?

The present system is a nonsense with yellow cards adding up to one and two game bans. The team that gets the advantage of this is just the one who happens to be next in the fixture list not the team who was sinned against. A sin bin would right this wrong and we would see something more akin to natural justice. If Rugby can make it work there is no reason to suppose it couldn''t work in football.

Yes.

I hate it when a player is suspended for 3 games but it''s against 3 teams that were not on the end of the offence!

People will say it''s always been like this so don''t change. But people said goal line tech will not happen!?

No this isn''t flucking ice hockey nor do we want it to be like some toshy american football b0llocks.Lets see a return to 1970''s style time wasting keepers and tackles that didn''t get a yellow when men were men and you could smoke a pipe in the family enclosure...  but I digress...

[quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]Yes.

I hate it when a player is suspended for 3 games but it''s against 3 teams that were not on the end of the offence!

People will say it''s always been like this so don''t change. But people said goal line tech will not happen!?[/quote]But goal line technology has not really happened in the sense that it merely a technological response to a problem stimulated by technology ie apart from some televised football the rest of football have not seen the need for it and have simply ignored it.The problem is that for every attempt to deal with the problems listed above there is a ''downside'' that might actually cause more ''damage'' than they solve.However something needs to be looked at with much harsher sanctions for those cheating, faking fouls etc as at the moment every fans I would say is peed of with this kind of stuff.

you could, if you were savvy (and some managers are) use it as a "rolling subs" exercise.. or giving someone a breather...

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]you could, if you were savvy (and some managers are) use it as a "rolling subs" exercise.. or giving someone a breather...[/quote]

No Yellow card automatic 1 match Ban Red for diving 4 match ban two Yellows 2 match ban no need for the Yanks to tell us how to run our game, what next Raza mataz big silly bands and pompom girls