Sign in to follow this  
whoareyou?

Holt to Villa?

Great move for Grant, not sure what all the fuss is about.

Holts had his day in the top flight. Couldn''t really cut it last year, lost any interest Hodgson had in him. Went to a 2nd tier club and struggled. Why are so many fans up in arms about this? Remember him for what he was for us.

The people saying that Grant Holt was past it are probably the same ones who are now saying that it is a great signing for Lambert!

I think that all the pressure from Villa fans has made him clutch at straws!

It will take Holty the rest of the season just to get fit enough for the Premier League.

I would rather have Hughton than Lambert as manager right now! Lambert has lost the plot!

Yeh only a total loon or total desperate git would sign a 30+ player on loan from thier former club....

...........*penny drops*....

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This reminds me of the film Annie Hall

After Annie and Woody Allen split up, he tries to recreate their wonderful times with various new girlfriends. It doesn''t work and is heartwrenchingly sad to watch.

In this case it''s two people getting back together to recreate past glories but I suspect it will be as doomed and sad to watch as Woody.

I get that he may not score lots of goals but maybe like us Villa need a leader and Holt could be that leader.Lots of people laughing and taking the piss now, and of course they may still be laughing at the end of the season but maybe not if Holt scores against us (with a Hoolahan assist) to help send us down

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Yeh only a total loon or total desperate git would sign a 30+ player on loan from thier former club....

*penny drops*

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
[/quote]

Except Lambert hasn''t signed Holt from his former club. Lambert has signed him from a Championship side, where he has scored just twice this season, and where he can''t hold down a first team place.

Whereas we''ve signed an experienced PL player from a team that is above us in the league. No comparison at all.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="crabbycanary"]They have Benteke, Agbonlahor, Weimann etc and they want to sign Holt?

Realistically he isn''t going to play much, if at all. FFS he hasn''t got into the Wigan team, with all their wealth of striking power.

WFLGH is a legend here, no one will say any different, but he''s had his time, and if you think he is going to be Villa''s saviour then you really are living in the past, some may say deluded.

PL is signing him for?

a/ his striking power

b/ his influence on the dressing room

c/ to appease the fans

I suspect c/ is the favourite, because why would he sign a £30k/week person to gee up the boys?[/quote] c/ to appease the fans.

I can''t understand the reasoning there because the popular opinion of Grant outside Norwich is that he is an overweight cart horse.  Villa fans will be totally  the opposite of appeased by the signing.

[/quote]Exactly LDC. There''s no way that Villa fans will be fobbed off with this one. If by some miracle it does go well they''ll be happy but they''re one of the worst lot for getting on the manager/team''s back when it''s not going so well.I''ll bet '' Villa Talk '' is in meltdown right now......

A quick look at the villa forums and they seem to agree that this smells of desperation.

and those comparing this to the Gutierrez signing seem to be missing something. We have the impression that we still have a decent kitty for the rest of the transfer window. Whereas villa fans believe that they just a little more than jack sh**. So the Gutierrez signing would look alright if he was our 3rd signing of the window, it just so happens that he was our first. but Holt is expected to be it unless they manage to capture Hoolahan.

Savage has just summed this up perfectly on twitter.

@RobbieSavage8 23s

So holt to villa , kenwynne jones linked to Everton , January eh ?? If I was still playing think Real Madrid wouldn''t be out of question ha

Incredible!!!! had to check villatalk to make sure its a done deal. Lost for words. speechless.dumbstruck.flabbergastesd.non-plussed.

And for the record, i''m not particularly a Hughton inner or outer, or a lambert lover or hater. just wonder how the ''disciples'' of the ''messiah''would have reacted if he''d come back and made GH his first signing . Would rather have Shane Long anyday.

He could and still should be doing a job for us. It was a major miscalculation letting him go. He will do a job for Villa. day by day i am becoming more sad and disillusioned at what is happening at the club, i only hope the tide turns soon

His impressive career seemingly on the decline, he failed to score in nine games for Bristol Rovers before a sudden departure again, this time to Norwich City where, at the age of 34, he found some of his old touch. He played 88 games over three seasons, scoring 16 goals

Had the internet been around back in the eighties I just wonder what would have been made of this signing.....none other than Mick Channon. He was old and past it apparently.

This is a no lose for Lambert, Holt and Villa. Both got the best out of each other so fair play to PL to get him ''back'' so to speak because he has got some stick over this in various quarters.

If Holt - and it is an if - plays near his former standard that the best man to achieve that is Paul Lambert. Holt will probably used a cover and an ''impact sub'' one would think.

I remember rumours that Lambert and Holt didn''t always see eye to eye, but Holt respects him as a manger rather than a person which is key - a reverse of the current situation at Norwich City under Hughton.

I actually want Holt to do well, though not against us...

Come on Tilly, don''t be naughty. Totally different game now.

So Yorkshire, you really think that we should have kept WFLGH, a player that has scored something like 2 in 21 for a Championship side? Okaaaayyy

good signing, he will score goals for a manager who knows how to play him and doesnt leave him isolated by himself and feeding off scraps

in fact i wont be shocked to see him score as many or more goals in the time left this season than he did in a season under clueless chris

My favourite comment on this transfer.

This must be a big misunderstanding, Have villa put in a grant application to rebuild the holte end?