Sign in to follow this  
whoareyou?

Holt to Villa?

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Like you say TGMD, we would never write him off, but the one question that is nagging me is, that why are Holt and (possibly) Hoolahan, suddenly the answers to improving Lambert''s team, yet he left 18 months ago?

Surely both players were better 18 months ago, than they are now?[/quote]

Another point that''s not lost on me is that these two players were at the club before Lambert arrived. I wonder why he doesn''t seem to be interested in any of the players he actually signed after he arrived...

I don''t know what''s happening with our football club this season. I don''t know what''s happening with football in general this season. I am very confused by some barmy management decisions. Some crazy sackings. Some odd signings and erratic supporter behaviour.

It''s exciting though eh?

I can see this working wonders for Villa.

Holt has a point to prove and will love playing for Lambert again and Villa need experience.

I''m just glad this didn''t happen the summer Lambert left ... That would have been painful. This is just ... Football!

[quote user="Michael Starr"]It''s exciting though eh?[/quote]If only the same could be said for the football we''ve been playing for the last 18 months...

Agreed Nutty, we all panicked 18 months ago, thinking it was inevitable, but nothing happened.

There has certainly been some money at Villa, so I wonder what the reason was, why Jed Steer has been the only player heading to VP in the last 18 months?

Like the Guttierez signing, this is because the manager knows he is in a dog fight.

Lambert knows what he is getting with Holty.  He knows he will work hard and can score goals. This will most likely be from the bench, but it give him cover for Benteke.  It is a temporary fill, but one that makes sense.  When you have a plan and need someone who can fit straight in you go for what you know. Holty will scrap and give defences a problem.

I see the same with Guttierez.

Whilst I don''t like the way we are playing and he would not have been my choice, he fits Hughton''s plans to a T and they know each other well. In this sense it is a logical move.

Only time will tell if they are successful, but I understand them.  I wish GH all the best and when he does score (and he will) just listen to the Holte end roar!

The difference for me is that I don''t see Guttierez being able to have the same impact here.

Snake

[quote user="MrMcGoo1809"]Morty your the biggest self obsessed w@nker to ever grace this board. You seem to think people would value your "opinions" BUT nobody does!!! Your continuous who-ton brown nosing makes all your opinions invalid!!! Go chat sh1t elsewhere. Much appreciated xx[/quote]

I value Morty''s opinions and welcome them - have done since this forum was created in 2003. The same goes for many others over the years. You''ve been here (as ''MrMcGoo'' at least) for 5 minutes - don''t pretend you can come on here and speak for others.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Like you say TGMD, we would never write him off, but the one question that is nagging me is, that why are Holt and (possibly) Hoolahan, suddenly the answers to improving Lambert''s team, yet he left 18 months ago?

Another point that''s not lost on me is that these two players were at the club before Lambert arrived. I wonder why he doesn''t seem to be interested in any of the players he actually signed after he arrived...

[/quote]

He couldn''t afford Ruddy.

I doubt he''d want Johnson. He did sniff around Cafu. Howson would compete with Delph, who has been as good for them as what Howson has to us. Pilks. You never know. Ryan Bennett, no chance with our need for a cb. He can have Elliott Bennett.

Still a fair few of his starting. Didn''t realise.

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I doubt he''d want Johnson. He did sniff around Cafu. Howson would compete with Delph, who has been as good for them as what Howson has to us. Pilks. You never know. Ryan Bennett, no chance with our need for a cb. He can have Elliott Bennett.

Still a fair few of his starting. Didn''t realise.[/quote]Did you not see the start of the season ? Elliott was looking red hot.

Yes it would be interesting to understand why he hasn''t made it at Wigan.  I wonder if he rested on his laurels a bit... exactly the reason we wanted to sign young and hungry players rather than ex-Prem players at the end of their careers, when we were lower down.  But that''s just a thought, I haven''t seen him at all this season.

So it is a worry that he could get some motivation back for a last go at Villa.  It would be depressing if he improved the rest of their season.

[quote user="snake-eyes"]

Like the Guttierez signing, this is because the manager knows he is in a dog fight.

Lambert knows what he is getting with Holty.  He knows he will work hard and can score goals. This will most likely be from the bench, but it give him cover for Benteke.  It is a temporary fill, but one that makes sense.  When you have a plan and need someone who can fit straight in you go for what you know. Holty will scrap and give defences a problem.

I see the same with Guttierez.

Whilst I don''t like the way we are playing and he would not have been my choice, he fits Hughton''s plans to a T and they know each other well. In this sense it is a logical move.

Only time will tell if they are successful, but I understand them.  I wish GH all the best and when he does score (and he will) just listen to the Holte end roar!

The difference for me is that I don''t see Guttierez being able to have the same impact here.

Snake

[/quote]

BUT... one of the many things we know about GH is that, rather like a big tanker, he needs a decent run to get up to speed. He was never much use off the bench (Liverpool away not withstanding!), he was much better once he was playing week in week out.

The trouble then is, will he get much game time (maybe if Lambert wants to pair him with Benteke), and will his body cope with it if he does?

It''s a gamble certainly and there''s no doubt Lambert and Hughton are going back to what they know to try and rescue their dire positions. And Lambert made some pretty obscure signings in the summer who we''ve seen very little of - Tonev anyone? Okore?  Now Holt. For me that''s a far bigger gamble Jonas.

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Still a fair few of his starting. Didn''t realise.[/quote]

We won''t sell him Ryan Benett! A cheeky bid for Ayala might come off though...

[quote user="a1canary"]And Lambert made some pretty obscure signings in the summer who we''ve seen very little of - Tonev anyone? Okore?  Now Holt. For me that''s a far bigger gamble Jonas. [/quote]

Bit of a side note really but Okore looked like a good enough signing but did his cruciate right at the start of the season.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

Yes it would be interesting to understand why he hasn''t made it at Wigan.  I wonder if he rested on his laurels a bit... exactly the reason we wanted to sign young and hungry players rather than ex-Prem players at the end of their careers, when we were lower down.  But that''s just a thought, I haven''t seen him at all this season.

So it is a worry that he could get some motivation back for a last go at Villa.  It would be depressing if he improved the rest of their season.

[/quote]

Maybe to understand why he hasn''t made it at Wigan would be to understand why Lambert hasn''t really made it at Villa. That would then make sense of the deal...

Nah because Villa fans don''t deserve an opinion. After stealing the messiah they have the gaul to boo him. Now they will be moaning about them signing the best English striker to have played in the Premierleague of all time.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Nah because Villa fans don''t deserve an opinion. After stealing the messiah they have the gaul to boo him. Now they will be moaning about them signing the best English striker to have played in the Premierleague of all time.
[/quote]

Bloody hell! Have they got Wilbraham too!?

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="a1canary"]And Lambert made some pretty obscure signings in the summer who we''ve seen very little of - Tonev anyone? Okore?  Now Holt. For me that''s a far bigger gamble Jonas. [/quote]

Bit of a side note really but Okore looked like a good enough signing but did his cruciate right at the start of the season.

[/quote]

Fair enough - wasn''t aware of that. Bacuna and Helenius have hardly set the world alight either. Think is, they are i''m sure decent enough players and he is very much continuing the "young and hungry" (and very green) transfer policy but can that really work if it means a few seasons of flirting with relegation while these young players are toughened up and get some experience? Maybe he''s finally seeing that he needs some older heads.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Nah because Villa fans don''t deserve an opinion. After stealing the messiah they have the gaul to boo him. Now they will be moaning about them signing the best English striker to have played in the Premierleague of all time.[/quote]

Bloody hell! Have they got Wilbraham too!?

[/quote]Yeh, half a mars bar and a reach around is the transfer fee.

[quote user="morty"]Has anyone looked on the villa forums to see how they feel about

this?[/quote]Yep, and comments like:"F**K me, he''s fatter and more useless than Ivanhoe was - and he was f**king $hitter than $hit itself!""Now we know who ate all the pies""I dread to think how many BJ''s Holt is giving Lambert for this"Made me chuckle anyway [:D]

Given his reputation of needing a few games to get into his stride and his inactivity at Wigan how long into the second half of the season will it take him to make an impact at Villa?

Ayalas loan will be extended at boro till the end of the season.

Elliott Bennett is a championship player. If people are getting frustrated with snoddy, I can''t wait to see how they are with benno.

Hardly no goals or assists in his time here.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]Given his reputation of needing a few games to get into his stride and his inactivity at Wigan how long into the second half of the season will it take him to make an impact at Villa?[/quote]Probably until the start of March knowing our luck.

So it seems the only person that thought Grant Holt wasn''t up to Premier League football was Houghton then?

And half our fans.......

love that archant have basically used this post as an article on the main site!

Can anyone really see him starting ahead of agbonlahor or benteke?    Super sub and option is what he has been signed for;   as i said a desperate bad short term choice  -  with his only goal likely to come against us.. 

Only just got back in after several hours work, and this thread seems to have gone viral in that time.I can sort of understand that there may be a sliver of interest in Norfolk over an ex Norwich player/ex Norwich manager. Crank that up a couple of notches because they were both very successful here.But EIGHT PAGES ffs !!??  Including the seemingly obligatory bickering.Look, this story is not about a player currently playing for Norwich, a manager currently managing Norwich, anyone likely to be coming to Norwich nor leaving Norwich.Is it really worth all of these pages ?!

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

love that archant have basically used this post as an article on the main site!

[/quote]

Perhaps all their "experts" were at lunch[:^)][pi]