Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

The long, slow, decline of a club....and fans will turn now

The signals have been there for a long time (on the field). The players look shot of confidence, the manager is not setting up to entertain, the fans are dispirited, restless. Without success on the pitch it will very soon show up in results in the accounts ( debt free or not). Season tickets, merchandise won''t be such an attractive option. Players like Gutierrez (hope he is a big hit of course) though show where we are, same as Elmander. We are on a down escalator. Will the board act. He''ll, they have a big stewardship problem. I am a moderate but really wished he had gone in May 2013 but we have to trust a strong board. I believe now there will be boos and disquiet at Carrow Rd. we have had enough and those who care more will be vocal. And all this wont help the team.

......, this is a long term decline after 3 wonderful years. Just when will the board act? Or will they keep sticking? What a responsibility. Surely they understand the feelings of the fans?

[quote user="drurys testamonials V 15"]Have to say I''ve been through many highs and lows since supporting City but this current regime is turning me off. I don''t think I''m the only 1 either.
[/quote]

[Y]

Three years to the day since Roeder was sacked. Then we got Gunn. The decline accelerated just as it did after Worthy.

It''s not about getting the sack. It''s about the next appointment.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Three years to the day since Roeder was sacked. Then we got Gunn. The decline accelerated just as it did after Worthy.

[/quote]
Wise words, its about more than sticking your bottom lip out crying "change", it has to be for the better.
And just saying " well ( insert random name here) couldnt do any worse" is moronic.

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 2014-01-15 3:04 AM:

Yaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnn.

Talking about moronic....

How do you do it Morty? Some kind of sixth sense?

[/quote]
Its not difficult mate, its really not......

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]Morty are you in the Hughton out camp if the right appointment could be made?[/quote]
Its about what is best for the club as a whole, and overall its about timing. If the board wanted rid, our league defeat against fulham was the time. In the middle of the transfer window isnt, so I think the board will go with what they have.
And there are no available managers available right now that stand out for me.

It''s hardly a long term decline - in relative terms we have rocketed through the leagues and have now hit a ceiling. No offence, but I''m not sure how bringing in experienced International and Premier League players, and blooding exciting youngsters, is a sign we are on the way down?I think it is more a decline in competitiveness of the top leagues of English football. I am utterly bored in footballing terms. I used to get a sense of nervous excitement when I watched us play, but that has all but disappeared.For me, it''s a combination of the dullness and predictability of the Premier League, and the realisation that the best we can hope for long-term is mid-table mediocrity and a cup run every now and again. Hughton has certainly contributed to this with his style of play, but to be honest, when he is clearly briefed to do what he feels necessary to keep us in the division it''s hardly surprising. Would bringing another manager in really alter things very much in the long-term? I very much doubt it, and that is the grim reality.I''m not sure how it''s happened, but there''s very little affinity/connection between me and and the club I have loved supporting for as long as I can remember. Success has now been defined as not losing too much. Players are earning in one month what most people would earn in at least 2 years, yet still not doing their job effectively. Casual tickets are priced insanely. The chief executive and substitute players were laughing and having a jolly evening out even though we were getting smashed by a poor team. It does just make me think "what is the point in bothering?".For me, I think I will start paying more attention to grass-roots local football rather than the vacuum-wrapped, polished turd imitating entertainment as served up by the Premiership.

[/quote]So the decline actually started while Worthington was still at the helm ? [;)]

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]It must be getting near season ticket renewal time. Will people renew regardless or will a significant number vote with their feet I wonder?[/quote]

I''m gonna renew......but don''t you go and tell anyone......

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Top post I.S I think you speak for a lot of people. I too was offended by McNally''s stupid grin while in front of him Delia looked hurt by the performance.[/quote]

Will he be grinning come May......when his Big Billy Bonus may be on the line? 

[/quote]
It was FIVE years ago to the day. I agree, but at this point can we afford to keep him. Surely that is more damaging than not trying to replace him?
I''d like a short term appointment until the end of the season. Phelan seems reasonable even if it weren''t to work out, I''d have to at least commend the effort to TRY and salvage our season. That was Fulhams easiest win of the season, and surely by doing nothing we about to give Hull their easiest away trip of the season too.

Whatever you say about Delia, she is certainly one of a kind and a true, genuine fan. When I saw the CE (and presumably his daughter) enjoying a nice trip to a lovely part of London at the club''s expense without really giving a toss about the performance on the pitch, it hammered home the fact that the amount of money in this league has euthanised the connection with the supporters and the local community.Yes, we''re playing at the highest level (allegedly) with some of the best teams in the world, but at what cost? What do we stand for as a club? Perhaps melodramatic, but it feels like the heart is being slowly ripped out of the club, and for that I cannot blame the manager alone.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]So the decline actually started while Worthington was still at the helm ? [;)][/quote]

Well, results suggested so[;)] But you continually miss the point which is that even some of the most ardent worthy haters will now concede that keeping Worthy would probably have been better than Grant, Roeder and Gunn.

And now I see some of the same people saying the same things about Hughton. The same words. It''s like they''ve forgotten how much they disliked Worthy because Hughton is now the worst ever. But I think they''ve also forgotton what happened after Worthy. Sacking the manager is not going to make any difference but it''s where the gamble starts.

[quote user="I.S."]Whatever you say about Delia, she is certainly one of a kind and a true, genuine fan. When I saw the CE (and presumably his daughter) enjoying a nice trip to a lovely part of London at the club''s expense without really giving a toss about the performance on the pitch, it hammered home the fact that the amount of money in this league has euthanised the connection with the supporters and the local community.Yes, we''re playing at the highest level (allegedly) with some of the best teams in the world, but at what cost? What do we stand for as a club? Perhaps,  melodramatic, but it feels like the heart is being slowly ripped out of the club, and for that I cannot blame the manager alone.[/quote]
So, hang on, you know that the ce didnt make his own way there, ( and seeing its his job, is it an issue if the club is paying him to be there???)and you can read his mind too?
Really?

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]
It was FIVE years ago to the day. I agree, but at this point can we afford to keep him. Surely that is more damaging than not trying to replace him?
I''d like a short term appointment until the end of the season. Phelan seems reasonable even if it weren''t to work out, I''d have to at least commend the effort to TRY and salvage our season. That was Fulhams easiest win of the season, and surely by doing nothing we about to give Hull their easiest away trip of the season too.

[/quote]

Yes it was five. I am less than 50/50 about a new manager being better. It''s certainly not the no-brainer people would have you believe. I think changing the manager is the last resort. Surely the board know when that is. If you think they don''t then perhaps you should focus on getting them changed?

If im honest Morty im not sure who to bring in, but im also not sure lumbering around in the dark with Hughton is the answer either......

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]If im honest Morty im not sure who to bring in, but im also not sure lumbering around in the dark with Hughton is the answer either......[/quote]
Change for change sake isnt the answer, see NN''s example of why.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]So the decline actually started while Worthington was still at the helm ? [;)][/quote]

Well, results suggested so[;)] But you continually miss the point which is that even some of the most ardent worthy haters will now concede that keeping Worthy would probably have been better than Grant, Roeder and Gunn.

And now I see some of the same people saying the same things about Hughton. The same words. It''s like they''ve forgotten how much they disliked Worthy because Hughton is now the worst ever. But I think they''ve also forgotton what happened after Worthy. Sacking the manager is not going to make any difference but it''s where the gamble starts.

It MIGHT make a difference. If you were the Board reflecting on the playing style and subsequent results of recent months would you not be just a little inclined to gamble now ?

[/quote]

The problem with Worthington was that he was sacked far too late. He should at least have gone after relegation and there is a good case IMO to say, after promotion.

The same is true of Hughton who should have been dismissed at the end of last season and possibly before last winter''s transfer window.

Did you see him chuckling away on the TV Morty? Is that really appropriate behaviour from someone earning near-enough 7 figures when we''re performing so badly on the pitch?Maybe I''m being harsh, but if a project I was working on was going disastrously, I would certainly not expect to see my boss laughing in view of our clients, especially on (inter)national TV. I would expect him to be raging at his staff. It underlines that for most at the club, we are currently just a lucrative career, but for the fans and the city it is the most important thing in football. That''s the disconnect. This isn''t a fault of McNally, or anyone working at the club, but it''s just the reality of modern football for a club like Norwich.I appreciate that you''re a guy who likes to be positive, and I admire that, but can you honestly say you still share the same passion for the club as you did in League One? Is that likely to change long-term?

[quote user="I.S."]Did you see him chuckling away on the TV Morty? Is that really appropriate behaviour from someone earning near-enough 7 figures when we''re performing so badly on the pitch?Maybe I''m being harsh, but if a project I was working on was going disastrously, I would certainly not expect to see my boss laughing in view of our clients, especially on (inter)national TV. I would expect him to be raging at his staff. It underlines that for most at the club, we are currently just a lucrative career, but for the fans and the city it is the most important thing in football. That''s the disconnect. This isn''t a fault of McNally, or anyone working at the club, but it''s just the reality of modern football for a club like Norwich.I appreciate that you''re a guy who likes to be positive, and I admire that, but can you honestly say you still share the same passion for the club as you did in League One? Is that likely to change long-term?[/quote]
So you want him to self flaggellate perhaps, to atone somehow?

[/quote]
Just no. Worthy was culpable when he signed dross like Jason Jarrett, Peter Thorne, Otsemobor, Andy Hughes and so on... That is why we began the decline after relegation. That is why Ashton and Green didn''t stick around as it was obvious we weren''t going back up.
I think Worthy was sacked at exactly the right time, and had it not been for incompetent choices as his successors then there is no reason we should have fallen to League one. Roeder, Grant and Gunn were all terrible appointments no better than what we already had. Lambert was a breath of fresh air. We now once again need a breath of fresh air, to breath life into the stale football.
Now you may say that this situation is similar in terms of, theres no point sacking CH unless we have a better replacement. I agree to some extent, but this really feels like deja vu. If we do stick with him, he will more than likely take us down, and re sign todays JJ, or Thorne. Right now we have a squad of players better than we have had in the previous 5 years. They all came here on the backs of good performances at their old clubs and saw us as a step up or stepping stone. Not because they were in decline or someone other teams cast offs.
A new manger now, could motivate them to keep us up, rather than seeing them leave us in the summer when its too late. After all, we are still in the mid table mix, just currently without proper leadership. We aren''t cut adrift, so with the correct approach could pick up those 16-20 points needed. Currently we will not. 
We''re only going one way right now. How does sticking make you feel this will change? After 21 games we may as well give it a bit of twist, what good does sitting on your hands do?

Smithy.. only the board will know if the gamble''s worth taking. If you think they''re incompetent then that''s a complete new ball game.

Rudolph.. perhaps Worthy should never have been given the job in the first place. You can certainly understand why Lambert got out while the going was good. He avoided the frying pan but still managed to go into the fire...

Now I have taken the arrival of Jonas as a sign that the board have decided to stick with Hughton.

When everybody wakes up in the morning perhaps they will think that a cup run is a distraction that may well hinder our fight to survive. Would we really want a game against a fired up D1 team 3 days before a key game against Newcastle who would have had the weekend off.

In the pre match stuff I have watched behind the words there was no enthusiasm for tonights match and that is probably right.

On now to the Hull game. Now a poor performance with no fight in that game...... well that would be a very different matter!!!

OTBC