Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Dear Mr. Phelan

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]I think Phelan would be a brilliant appointment. He is hungry to prove himself - learnt from the best- has contacts to die for. What are the board waiting for??

.[/quote]Appointing someone who has never managed before is a huge risk. I know he has a better pedigree than Peter Grant, but you have to ask yourself why someone in their 50s has never taken the top job before. Remember Brian Kidd at Blackburn?

"MyGodWeArePoorToWatch"Steve clarke for me, or Steven Pressley

Pressley would be a risk but I''d prefer him to Phelan. Could be a new Lambert.

[quote user="Herman "]"MyGodWeArePoorToWatch"Steve clarke for me, or Steven Pressley

Pressley would be a risk but I''d prefer him to Phelan. Could be a new Lambert.[/quote]

Would love ather one of them. Deffinatly NOT phelan !!!

Not for me thanks, bigger risk than Malkay.... Let''s be honest I could probably have be SAF assistant and had the same success as phelan.

I honestly can''t tell with Phelan - I really feel like I don''t have enough to go on - he could be a really good manager in the making or one of those coaches who isn''t suited to the top job. There is this nagging doubt with me that he was just hanging on the coattails of Sir Alex, and wasn''t really responsible for too much there, and when he gets elevated to a position where the buck stops with him it may be too much. But that is just complete speculation with no real basis and with his background he surely couldn''t do much worse than Hughton. If he had a really good team of people around him I would be more confident.

Previous assistants to SAF have gone on to be an England manager who did a good job in the Netherlands and is now doing a good job at Derby and manager of Real Madrid.

SAF didn''t make too many mistakes ,,,,,,,,, I think I would be happy to go along with his judgement.

A risk indeed, but changes need to be made. Would he wavy to start his managerial career here though?

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Previous assistants to SAF have gone on to be an England manager who did a good job in the Netherlands and is now doing a good job at Derby and manager of Real Madrid.

SAF didn''t make too many mistakes ,,,,,,,,, I think I would be happy to go along with his judgement.[/quote]

..and he was sacked at Madrid after one season and finishing 4th in La Liga with a team that included Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo and Beckham.

McClaren was a failure with England, joined a fantastic setup at Twente and has overall had more failures than successes (for every Twente there was a Wolfsburg, for every Derby, there''s a Forest).

Brian Kidd known as one of the best no 2''s in the game when at utd failed spectacularly as a manager.

Now there''s Meulensteen....will be given time but not looking promising so far (in the league anyway).

Overall who knows if Phelan would be a good manager but the fact he was SAF''s no 2 is by far no guarantee of it. It''s definitely not what we should be going for at this stage of the season in our position.

CO - then what should we be going for

A foreign manager with no knowledge of the players, the opposition, the Premiership or the club?

An up and coming youngster who has no experience of the Premiership?

Another club''s cast off?

Or are you saying we need to keep the man we have?

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]CO - then what should we be going for

A foreign manager with no knowledge of the players, the opposition, the Premiership or the club?

An up and coming youngster who has no experience of the Premiership?

Another club''s cast off?

Or are you saying we need to keep the man we have?[/quote]

Exactly. There is no obvious answer out there. But you can add to the list you just made: A man with absolutely no managerial experience?

We need someone who can come in and hit the ground running. Someone who has never managed before, let alone in the premier league, simply hasn''t enough time.

Would prefer Mackay to Phelan (but still don''t think he''s the long term solution) as at least he has managerial experience and some at the top level. Also harsh to describe him as a cast off as the majority at the club bar the crazy owner wanted to keep him.

Ideally it would be great if we could get someone like Phelan in assistant manager alongside a strong continental manager such as Guidolin.The problem is that if we did bring someone like that in, they''d probably want to bring their own assistant in rather than just accepting Phelan.Would potentially be an excellent combination though, particularly in the early months whilst working through communication and styles of play etc.

Yellow wall. Yes someone out of England. Knowing players doesn''t matter at all. He can watch videos to know where they are good at and see in training who responds in his style best.

Also if we change Hughton I would prefer us to go for a manager that would continue style we are trying to play with his own vision.

Ask yourselves this, if Phelan is so good then why did Utd opt for Moyes? There has to be a reason for this!

[quote user="Houston Canary"]Do we really want to replace someone who is failin'' with someone who is Phelan?[/quote]

Just......no words HC!!!