Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

The club won't sack him

The failure to sack him pre-January and the decision to allow Hughton to sign Guiterrez on loan for 6 months (and he is bound to be on very good money) was the clubs way of showing us all that they are sticking by him for the season.

I''ve been calling for his sacking for months now, but I''m resigned to the fact that the board aren''t going to do it.

So we may as well get behind him and the players, it is the only chance that we have of staying up now.

No high calibre esteemed manager is going to accept this job with no time to alter the squad. Cardiff made their decision just about early enough and had their replacement ready in time. We''ve left it too late.

The only candidates that would consider the job are those who would be happy to manage this club in the division below.

I blame the board for this failure, but they can''t undo it now, we may as well accept the position that we find ourselves in and hope that we can scrape 17th.

That''s better than relegation, coming straight back is no more likely than spending a decade out of this league.

I think you are very wrong - with season ticket renewals info about to be sent out, something is needed to get a supporter response - keeping Hughton IS NOT that option.

Money talks.

Wrong about what?

Wrong that only a manager willing to manage in the league below would accept the job?

I''d be happy with Malky personally, but many others would not.

That''s about as good as we would get.

[quote user="Le Juge"]No high calibre esteemed manager is going to accept this job with no time to alter the squad.[/quote]That depends on whether or not they think that the squad is essentially good enough or not, or whether it''s in fact the manager''s awful negative tactics, and dour style of play that''s the root of the problem.I personally think the squad we''ve got is basically good enough (we could still do with another top CB and a ball playing midfielder though), and all it needs it a manager who''ll inject that spark back into our players and remove the restrictive shackles that Hughton has put on our attackers and we''ll be fine.

I agree with Indy but I''d go further by saying that actually I think we are a very attractive proposition. The Top 6 or so are in a different managerial league- the European super manager circuit. We are a Prem team with a sound ownership and debt free. A good solid support, not known for being hostile or fickle and a decent squad with a great bunch of youth players and top quality training facilities. We have an underperforming coaching team but we are not in crisis. Move fast and there is still time to do something this Jan. So let''s not underplay ourselves, we wouldn''t be short of decent applicants and we could tempt others away from clubs in other divisions as well.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Le Juge"]No high calibre esteemed manager is going to accept this job with no time to alter the squad.[/quote]That depends on whether or not they think that the squad is essentially good enough or not, or whether it''s in fact the manager''s awful negative tactics, and dour style of play that''s the root of the problem.I personally think the squad we''ve got is basically good enough (we could still do with another top CB and a ball playing midfielder though), and all it needs it a manager who''ll inject that spark back into our players and remove the restrictive shackles that Hughton has put on our attackers and we''ll be fine.[/quote]Not for the first time I find myself in full agreement with Indy.All this no-one will touch us with a bargepole smacks of a" little old Norwich "inferiority complex, with respect Juge. Make no mistake, this job is still a very attractive and well paid one. Given the right coaching, there is no reason why this squad cannot stay in this league comfortably. OK , it''s now going to be tight , thanks to Hughton, Caklderwood and Trollope''s complete and utter incompetence, but it''s perfectly do-able.That said, I do think there will be no change until after the Hull game . If we lose that, the board will simply have to get rid . Anything else, and we''re into the land of uncertainty. Ricardo has quite rightly alluded to this in other posts. And that''s the really depressing thing. If that''s the case, then I''ve a feeling it''ll all rumble on till the next defeat.

I don''t agree that the signing of Gutierrez is a clear indication that Chris Hughton is definitely going to stay in the job. I don''t know this for absolute certain, but I''m fairly sure that the board would have to sign off any player transferring into the club. Therefore, as I see it, Gutierrez signing is more for the benefit of the club rather than saying that Hughton''s position is secure.

Plus to those who say that getting a new manager in isn''t going to happen because they wouldn''t be able to get their own players in - well, what if the players aren''t the problem? Plus why do people seem to think that just because a new manager comes in that they want to completely overhaul the squad? The new man could be happy with the squad, maybe make a few changes but nothing drastic, and it could be that he gets the best out of the squad than the current manager. Of course if the board feel that there is nobody better out there then they should stick by the manager and see where it ends up, but a change in management doesn''t necessarily mean complete change for the playing team, at least in the short term.

[quote user="Making Plans"]A dead cat bounce is our only hope and he needs to go before Saturday.There is no alternative[/quote]There are lots of alternatives. One of them being he won''t go before Saturday.A bad result and he might go but I still think the odds are that he will stay. It might all depend on the crowds reaction to a poor result just as it did with Worthington.If we win, I''m 100% certain he will stay.

I suspect that notwithstanding the result on Saturday, the management team will remin in place. Clearly, none of us know that for sure but the failure to act last Summer and at various points this season inclines me to the view that continuity will be the order of the day.

They will - at the end of the season and after relegation is secured. The trouble is that those who are protecting him may also feel they have to go - McN and the Chairman. We could have major changes in personnel on and off the pitch.

It is difficult not to be pessimistic after recent sad performances, but our season may well depend on Saturday''s match. A decent performance and a win could provide a pick-up, a defeat will reinforce the decline. It''s difficult to see how we are going to stop other teams scoring goals with the generous defence we have and equally difficult to see us scoring.

In some ways we are paying for the lack of consolidation possible in the meteoric rise from Division One. We achieved too much too quickly and had to bolt on cheap players quickly, rather than younger players with potential to grow.

My pessimism comes from the pattern of post Christmas decline like the one last year, with a manager seemingly unable to stop it, even contributing to it by strange decision making. I can''t honestly see the redemption we found last season in those last few games with totally unexpected points..

[quote user="Highland Canary"]I suspect that notwithstanding the result on Saturday, the management team will remin in place. Clearly, none of us know that for sure but the failure to act last Summer and at various points this season inclines me to the view that continuity will be the order of the day.[/quote]Not often I agree with Highland but I think that analysis is spot on.[Y]

[quote user="Le Juge"]

I''ve been calling for his sacking for months now, but I''m resigned to the fact that the board aren''t going to do it.

So we may as well get behind him and the players, it is the only chance that we have of staying up now. [/quote]

This is what I have been saying for weeks.Glad to see some are starting to see the light.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Glad to see some are starting to see the light.

[/quote]One person. Who was basically onside anyway, Lakey.You are whistling in the dark, mate.

What is all this gutless rationalization about continuity? Do you know what continuity means? To continue. To crash and burn. To not change course. As we founder hopelessly. Stay on track. But the track is headed for a r rain wreck.

What indication is there that continuity of our slide to oblivion will be anything but disappointing?