Sign in to follow this  
Spiderman

jonas gutierrez

Hi all! Newcastle fan here. Just thought I''d sign up and give you a bit of an insight on Jonas (for those that don''t know a great deal about him).

First of all, I''m actually quite disappointed that he''s left us! Even on loan. Mainly because I don''t think we''ll replace him this transfer window and I genuinely view him as a good squad player.

He''s not as quick as he used to be when he first signed for us, but he can still run for 90 minutes and will put his heart and soul into every performance. He stuck by us when we went down and had a great season in the Championship (that''s not me saying he found his level - He''s put some great performances in playing in the PL as well over the last few years). Jonas is the type of player than can pick up the ball from deep inside your own half and drag it to the otherside of the pitch to clear danger. He''s also great at dragging defenders out of position allowing team mates to get into good positions. His end product is pretty poor mind, but he''s not that sort of winger. He''ll win a lot of deserved freekicks as he''s often kicked at when holding onto the ball on the left.

He''ll help your left back out a hell of a lot to, making him look better than what he actually is. He relieved a lot of pressure on Jose Enrique and Davide Santon that''s for sure, which also enabled them to get up the field a lot more than you''d expect from a left-back.

He won''t get you a lot of goals, and he won''t get a load of assists either, but as I say, he''s an excellent squad player that''ll probably get a regular place in your side. He''s an absolute engine and the effort he puts in is often second to none.

Hope this is (a bit) helpful. I hope that you stay up (I''m sure you will - Still have a lot of respect for Hughton). So goodluck for the rest fo your season (apart from against us on the 28th!!!) [:P]

I appreciate the analysis mate. So we have a slow winger who''s end product is poor. Won''t get many goals or assists but will run all day. Just what we''ve been crying out for. :-)

A good, solid but unspectacular signing to bolster the weakened midfielder. If people can get past their anti Hughton outlook they may be able to appreciate this. Welcome aboard Jonas.

At least it ain''t Jonah.

[quote user="vlad666"]I appreciate the analysis mate. So we have a slow winger who''s end product is poor. Won''t get many goals or assists but will run all day. Just what we''ve been crying out for. :-)[/quote]

That sounds like Elmander! Slow striker who''s end product is poor, he doesn''t get many assists but will run all day......Is Guitierrez our new premiership equivellent of Andy Hughes?

Getting in a winger who won''t score or assist is like signing a centre back who can''t header and tackle.

I predict this will turn into a thread where people only look at the negative side of what the op says.  On balance he is saying we are getting a good squad player who we will like and who won''t let us down. 

Sounds ok to me.

Plus Hughton might not use him as a conventional left winger.

He''s played RB for Argentina, & also at CM. If he has the discipline & consistency he appears to, he could prove a valuable player indeed.

No one else thinks that someone who will put themselves about a bit and give 100% to the cause is what we need at the moment? With some sloppy performances recently we could really do with someone to help take the pressure off the defence and firm us up a bit in midfield, as we often sit so deep and invite other teams onto us. Also Olsson hasn''t had a lot of protection from Redmond, so maybe it will help Olsson get forward more, as he was responsible for two good assists earlier in the season...

[quote user="HampsteadCanary"]No one else thinks that someone who will put themselves about a bit and give 100% to the cause is what we need at the moment?[/quote]Actually I don''t think that''s what we need at the minute.What I think we need is a manager that''s willing (and able) to play to the strengths of the players at their disposal, whilst instilling self-confidence in those players, and giving us a game of football that''s semi-decent to watch, even if we don''t have a vast upturn or change in results.On that basis I''d argue that we DON''T simply need a committed workhorse, but rather a manager who wants to do more than play committed workhorses...

He sounds like Johnson mark II - not too quick, not good at centring, but willing and committed to the cause. He may be a better passer than Johnson, it seems, but scores fewer goals.

In summary, he seems a solid, able to defend midfielder who is not going to set the world alight in attack. If he plays on the left wing, and Snoddy on the right, then the Hughton emphasis of attacking down the wings will mean that we shall have a pedestrian attack and goals will be like hen''s teeth.

I do not like to condemn a man before he plays, but in my book he has to play at his very best to challenge Murphy, Pilks and Redmond for the left wing berth.

I like his non-stop running commitment, and I hope that he can challenge the rest by these. Otherwise I find it a strange signing, but we shall see.

He could bring the best out of Olsson I guess.

I like the sound of the lung busting runs to get the ball up the pitch too.

It wouldn''t surprise me if he actually came in and grabbed some assists for us anyway. I remember Downing last season doing pants for Liverpool but at Villa, he was unstoppable, Milner had one season he was one of the leading assist makers and then one after he got none.

I wonder if Messi fancies the switch next to play with 2 of his best mates? (Becchio too)

I''m particularly encouraged about the space he creates for other players. Might see a bit more freedom in the middle of the park for Fer to link up with RVW and Hooper.

I don''t really see why people are getting wound up one way or the other about this. We''re not spending 8million on him, we''re not hoping he''s going to singlehandedly keep us up. I think most rational posters expect from him much of what the OP has said - a squad player who can play a number of positions, who will work hard, help the squad out, has played with Hughton before, has got a bit of composure on the ball even if his end product isn''t amazing, and fits into the Hughton style of play.

He seems like a very reasonable signing for half a season to help us out with injuries.

Bang on Jimmy, he may not be the best crosser of the ball, but hopefully he can get the best out of Ollsson, hoping that he can start to provide some assists. He can also play in central defensive midfield, and RB although I find that very unlikely he would feature in that position.

He''s worked with Hughton before and had success, he has faith in Hughton and hopefully that could rub off on a few of our players. He also brings brawn and experience and can occasionally contribute to goal scoring opportunities. He''d be extra presence on set pieces too.

I really don''t think this signing as bad as some posters make him out to be. He adds allot to the squad and leaves us funds to sign a couple more targets permanently.

I don''t think anyone is really unhappy with this, but it is uninspiring and does not really address the main issues we have. We need quality players who will push the starting 11, create chances and ultimately win us games.

Do we need a utility player to cover three or four areas of the pitch in a workman like manner? I remeber Roeder trying this with his second season in charge, buying utility players and allowing the creative flair players out the door, we know how that season ended!

To be fair yep as a loan why indeed not, but let''s hope the next signing will be one to make that change.

It''s fair to say that if Pilks and Benno were fit, this signing would not have happened.  It''s a stopgap measure.  But at least Jonas should know what''s expected of him from his former manager, so hopefully will slot in quickly.Looking on the positive side, this may enable Redmond to be used more as an impact player and not get burnt out chasing back defending (not that this worked against Everton).Locking down the left side with a more reliable defensive player may also enable Fer and Howson (when fit again) to push forward to create and score more, knowing that they have reliable cover to comes across into the middle. Olsson may overlap more as well.That''s the best I can think of anyway! Let''s face it, we need some real quality and creativity in central midfield to link up with our isolated strikers. This signing does nothing to address that.

I think freeing up Howson, Fer and Redmond the way that Tettey does when fit allows us to play at our best and if Jonas does that too then he could be a very valuable player for us in the tough games ahead

At worst he is a solid, versatile and experienced Premier league player. A decent squad addition. I''d rather have him playing left wing than BJ or Howson!

This is a genuine question, What message is being sent out by signing Jonas Guttierrez on LOAN,

JG does not trust us to be club he wants to sign for full time ?

CH does not thinks he is worth signing Full time ? The board will not sign one of CH''s recommendations Full Time as it doesn''t trust him anymore ?

The board does not think that CH will be next seasons manager but lacks the courage to get rid of him now ?

I think it''s more of an admission that the club are are budgeting for a possible return to the Championship.  It''s been reported as "an initial deal until June 30th" which suggests he''ll probably sign permanently if we stay up.  But not if we go down.  That''s my interpretation.

Well, that''s the way it appears to be doesn''t it. None of us know how well his signing will turn out, but it doesn''t seem to be the act of an ambitious and confident club that has faith in it''s managerial/ scouting staff anymore.

Personally, i''m quite interested to see what this chap can do on the field....at least he will be entertaining for the team.....http://swol.co/newcastle-uniteds-sammy-ameobi-exposes-jonas-gutierrez/32388

[quote user="Devils Advocate."]This is a genuine question, What message is being sent out by signing Jonas Guttierrez on LOAN, JG does not trust us to be club he wants to sign for full time ? CH does not thinks he is worth signing Full time ? The board will not sign one of CH''s recommendations Full Time as it doesn''t trust him anymore ? The board does not think that CH will be next seasons manager but lacks the courage to get rid of him now ?[/quote]

It shows a very sensible and effective negotiation from the Norwich board - relegation is a threat for every club in the bottom 10, I''m sure they''d all love to make signings that may not be stuck on the club should the worst happen. Getting JG in on loan is perfect from the clubs point of view - it worked well with Garrido last season.

Maybe QPR should have thought about doing similar last season.

[quote user="Indy"]

[quote user="vlad666"]I appreciate the analysis mate. So we have a slow winger who''s end product is poor. Won''t get many goals or assists but will run all day. Just what we''ve been crying out for. :-)[/quote]

That sounds like Elmander! Slow striker who''s end product is poor, he doesn''t get many assists but will run all day......Is Guitierrez our new premiership equivellent of Andy Hughes?

[/quote]

Sounds more like bl**dy Snodgrass. Andy Hughes is way below the belt though, naughty.

[quote user="Devils Advocate."]This is a genuine question, What message is being sent out by signing Jonas Guttierrez on LOAN,

JG does not trust us to be club he wants to sign for full time ?

CH does not thinks he is worth signing Full time ? The board will not sign one of CH''s recommendations Full Time as it doesn''t trust him anymore ?

The board does not think that CH will be next seasons manager but lacks the courage to get rid of him now ?[/quote]You have thought about this way to much....

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]These are remarkable comparisons for a player that Maradona rated as one of his three most important players in the 2010 world cup.[/quote]Did Maradona have strikers that were starved of supply and weren''t complete enough players to just create their own goals to worry about...no, he had Higuain, Messi and Tevez...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]These are remarkable comparisons for a player that Maradona rated as one of his three most important players in the 2010 world cup.[/quote]Did Maradona have strikers that were starved of supply and weren''t complete enough players to just create their own goals to worry about...no, he had Higuain, Messi and Tevez...[/quote]Yes, it would certainly be nice to get another creative midfielder in this transfer window if possible. That doesn''t really take anything away from Gutierrez as a useful, good quality, committed and versatile player in his own right though.

I think it''s a very sensible signing. Offers cover in different areas of the pitch. I hope he''s played centrally - we could do with a tigerish midfielder to actually win the ball, given how easily Gareth Barry nonced through to score at the weekend.

He may not be the best crosser of a ball but at least if he''s won it we''ll be in possession.