Sign in to follow this  
DistantCanary

Who scouted RVW ??

I''m sorry and I''ve given him the benefit of adapting, injury etc but the guy just looks like a little YTS lad completely out of his depth.

What are his attributes? Speed,strength, go past people, finishing, touch?? Please tell me. HIs body language with the other players is terrible Snodgrass in particular and watching him throwing his arms in the air when young Josh lost the ball made me sick when you consider his contribution.

He must have something about him for Hughton, Chester or whoever recommended him to pay what was it 8 million. There''s a boy in the development squad Carlton Morris that seems to have more about him than RVW.

That said i would love to be proved wrong by a hat trick against Hull.

If you''d actually seen him play before coming here, you would know you were speaking out of your rear.

And yes, Morris definitely has more about him, and the Murphy''s should have been nominated for the Ballon''Dor. And Chris Martin was the next Pele.

To be fair, Europe scouted him, and the conclusion in the footballing world was it was a miracle we got him. I dont think he is a bad player, he just came with too much expectation, into a situation whereby he was bought on reputation not on a definitive plan on how he would fit into the squad, and into an unbalanced team with far too little creative input. We cant get the best out of him, not playing how we are, not with our tactics. Shame because as much as you criticise the man, I think he is an injury hit player, who had dreams of the world cup and had big hopes of doing well in England and has instead landed in a mess of a situation under a manager who doesnt have room for him in his set up or plans. Personally I can understand his frustration.

He''s not injury hit. He''s had one injury.

If we stay up (and it''s a big if) I''m looking forward to him banging them in next season and the usual suspects jumping on the bandwagon and acting as though they didn''t make massive arses of themselves this year.

You what?

The guy last night looked like he was having to the jobs of 3 players.

He had to drop deep because he wasn''t getting the ball, despite making excellent runs.  He went wide to assist and create width, but when he got the ball, no-one was moving into a position to receive the ball back.  Then he was trying to get into the box as a striker (which is his job) but again had what one chance which came only because he anticipated that the ball was going to get to the back post of a defensive flick on header. That chance, he hit the target but was headed away.

What more is the guy supposed to do?  What does he need to adapt to? What does that mean he should be doing? Surely if you buy a striker like him, you buy him because he fits your game plan, or you adapt it to his strengths? After all you generally want you strikers to score goals, so you feed them don''t you, or have a missed something?

I am beginning to see that rather than RvW being out of his depth and not good enough for us, we are not good enough for him.

He must be wondering why the hell he came here!  I guarantee better teams than us will snap him up like a shot and he will get plenty of goals for them.

He is a class player, we are not a class team under the current coaching set up!

Snake

Yeah fair point splutcho, Injury hit was a bad choice of words. But yeah I happen to agree with you snake eyes. He essentially had to play in midfield last night to get the ball, which for a poacher is a waste.

I believe recommended by legendary Dutch international Neeskens. He is father of the Wolf,s girlfriend !!

Valid comments, Gary Hooper has also been ''subjected'' to the same tactics and has scored goals. He looks a class act and if we are building our attack around one player it would be him for me.

True distant canary, and I would say the same, though he is slightly different to RVW in approach as he is more bullish and more used to physicality. Also Hooper did get a few chances that RVW simply didnt get, like the penalty and an absolute tap in. Im pretty sure that if RVW had been playing he would have scored both of those.

[quote user="DistantCanary"]Valid comments, Gary Hooper has also been ''subjected'' to the same tactics and has scored goals. He looks a class act and if we are building our attack around one player it would be him for me.[/quote]

To be fair there have been times Hooper has been totally anonymous.

Luckily for him he has scored some goals but his all round play hasn''t been anything to write home about - far from a "class act".

He''s also had the benefit of playing alongside a more match fit Elmander. At the start of the season Elmander was horrifically off the pace and RVW was totally starved of service and support.

Clearly the way we play under Hughton doesn''t bring the best out of the strikers.

And I don''t want to take anything away from Hooper because he''s done well to get the goals he has but I think it''d be a bit more sensible to judge RVW next season (and under a different manager).

I''m not writing any player off until a new manager has come in and wiped the slate clean and tried new systems.

Including people like Fox and Becchio, but especially players like RVW and Redmond who have obvious talent which we aren''t getting the most out of, and players like Snodgrass and Bassong who were excellent last season but haven''t reproduced that form this season.

We have an excellent squad, bar the need for one or two quality additions, and all should get the chance to shine under somebody with new ideas.

Got to say RVW is starting to look and smell like a new Dean Coney. Seeing Grant Holt sign on loan for Aston Villa today for the rest of the season, the real test will be to see who has scored most Premiership goals by the end of the season out of those two...

Holt would actually have been a good partner for either RVW or Hooper.

Elmander just doesn''t cut it, at least Holt was strong in the air.

Ricky was included in World Soccer''s list of 100 Most wanted players of the summer transfer window so presumably the most prestigious English language international football magazine also rates YTS kids as international footballers.

My honest opinion of Van Wolfswinkel is that he is essentially a good player. He is by no means a complete striker - he is not going to dribble past many players and create chances for himself, pull out loads outrageous bits of skill and has fairly average pace. Individually he probably has too many deficiencies to be any sort of world beater, but it is not an individual sport, and the qualities he does should sit well within a well functioning team and probably a certain style of team as well.

His qualities seem to lie in fairly decent interplay and build up, a decent touch, good movement and until he arrived here a consistently good goalscoring record and a poachers eye for goal. I see him as a step or two down from a ''Lewandoski or Van Persie style striker'' - not going to go on mazy dribbles, average pace, but good clever goalscorers etc. With all of them if you take away their goalscoring form and most of the chances that a good side would create for them their contribution to their team is massively cut and that is what we are seeing with Van Wolfswinkel. It could still go either way, but I wouldn''t write him off yet because at the moment there is almost a perfect storm of reasons at the club a why a striker in the situation of Van Wolswinkel would not be working out.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="DistantCanary"]Valid comments, Gary Hooper has also been ''subjected'' to the same tactics and has scored goals. He looks a class act and if we are building our attack around one player it would be him for me.[/quote]

To be fair there have been times Hooper has been totally anonymous.

Luckily for him he has scored some goals but his all round play hasn''t been anything to write home about - far from a "class act".

He''s also had the benefit of playing alongside a more match fit Elmander. At the start of the season Elmander was horrifically off the pace and RVW was totally starved of service and support.

Clearly the way we play under Hughton doesn''t bring the best out of the strikers.

And I don''t want to take anything away from Hooper because he''s done well to get the goals he has but I think it''d be a bit more sensible to judge RVW next season (and under a different manager).

[/quote]

100% spot on GJP.

I don''t know the answer to the question - Was Ewan Chester around then? The scouting was probably done in the player''s prolific year 2011-12, but he scored plenty more in the following season , by which time Hughton had arrived.

It was clear from his past goal scorer that he is prolific, and that his positioning gave him the slight space advantage to score many of his goals. He had good service from his fellow players, who knew how to supply him with chances. In our system, with Hughton''s emphasis on attacking down the wings, with at least one slow winger, he has been poorly supplied. Both he and Hooper have had too many high balls and as not over tall players they are at a disadvantage against big defenders. Significantly, over half of Hooper''s goals have come from the penalty spot or from slide-rule passes along the ground from Fer.

My own feeling is that as Hooper burst into scoring, RvW will do the same, but it is hard for him in a penalty area already crowded by the time he gets the ball, and Premiership defences, apart from ours, are usually well organised.